Question about Hobie Livewell

I have an OEX livewell and was thinking about replacing it on my PA 14 with a Hobie livewell. If you have one, can you tell me how you like yours? Thanx.

Replies

• jvanpeltjvanpelt Posts: 411 Deckhand
    I have one and love it! I've read mixed reviews about people having an issue priming it and it not working after too many trips in the salt. I've had no issues whatsoever and all I do is salt fish. As for the priming all I can think is that the people that complained about it had the tube backwards. To make it easier to prime turn the pump on and give a few strong peddles and the water will start flowing. Best investment yet
    :USA:fishing
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    Save your money. Get a 5 gallon bucket and pump.
  • CrstyCptSWitherspoonCrstyCptSWitherspoon Posts: 590 Officer
    Save your money. Get a 5 gallon bucket and pump.

Unless money is not an issue paying $200+ for a live well is crazy. 5gallon bucket gets the job done and they're expendable. Plus they're multi purposed.
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,111 Officer
    Ive sold dozens of them and the owners love the 8 gallon fully self contained unit. Just drop it in place and turn it on.I ve had one goy need to replace the battery after a few years but they arent expensive.
  • DukesFinDukesFin Posts: 581 Officer
    I love mine and use it only in the salt... In freshwater, I use a home made self-contained unit as raw water pickup doesn't do the bait I use any good.

So far, after 2 years, I've had no issues... Just turn the pickup tube the correct way and pedal a couple times and like stated above, it starts flowing well. Is it expensive? YES. But it fits right in perfectly and for me, has performed flawlessly.