Sarasota Bay Gag Grouper, Last day Loosers!

Today being the last day for gags I decided I wanted to get some more fillets in the freezer before our government puts a permanent ban on them all together. So I call up one of the other captains I work with and tell him to meet me at the dock around 1pm to do some fishing. I load up a few pounds of sardines and some heavy gear because these gags in the bay are tough!!! I mean really, really tough, the gag on the far right in the picture below is 31 inches and he almost pulled me in the water. We are using penn senator 6/0 with 60lb mono, 100lb fluorocarbon leader, 10/0 Circle hooks and locked down drags (this is more like combat than fishing).

So we get out to my "super secret" spot in sarasota bay, I start chumming to get the grouper out of their holes and to the back of the boat. With in 40 min we had out limit of gags ranging from 24-31inches, a few break-offs from what had to be some monsters and 2 nice flounder. On a quick side note there have been more flounder in the bay than I have seen in the entire time I have fished sarasota, two weeks ago 2 ladys on my boat got 17 flounder in 2 hours and I have been getting between 3-10 keepers on almost every trip! Just thought I would let you guys know (go flounder fishing).

Here are some before and after photos from today

Before

After (beer battered grouper)
Knowing is better than guessing but luck always helps!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WWW.FLYINGFISHFLEET.COM

Replies

• RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    Thats impressive. Dont give anyone that gag spot, its priceless. Any general recommendations for catching flounder (ie depth, grass vs sand bottom, bait, etc). I'd love to get on some flounder on days that are too windy to get offshore. Thanks Tim. Great job as always!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Captain_TimCaptain_Tim Posts: 55 Deckhand
    RMD wrote: »
    Thats impressive. Dont give anyone that gag spot, its priceless. Any general recommendations for catching flounder (ie depth, grass vs sand bottom, bait, etc). I'd love to get on some flounder on days that are too windy to get offshore. Thanks Tim. Great job as always!

Ryan just call me next time your down and I will tell you where they are if the weather forces you to stay close. But flounder like to hang on the outside of structure, that could be a bridge, reef or even grass, just remember fish the transitions of the structure and the flounder will be there. As far as depth they have been from 1ft deep to 45ft deep on the offshore reefs, shrimp on a jig head is a easy way to target them but a live finger mullet is probably the best flounder bait around.
    Knowing is better than guessing but luck always helps!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    WWW.FLYINGFISHFLEET.COM
  • perlman1234perlman1234 Posts: 1,449 Officer
    But flounder like to hang on the outside of structure, that could be a bridge, reef or even grass, just remember fish the transitions of the structure and the flounder will be there. As far as depth they have been from 1ft deep to 45ft deep on the offshore reefs, shrimp on a jig head is a easy way to target them but a live finger mullet is probably the best flounder bait around.

^THIS^ Great advice tim, sounds like you are one of the good ones. Ryan, listen to him! Flounder can always be found on transitions, better fishing on the tide changes as they are normally sunk into the ground awaiting passing prey. They seem to find anything that is different from temp changes to lights at night. Do not be discouraged by Tony's 2 incher caught in 150ft hahahaha, that was priceless. Anything on a jighead that has movement will catch them.... even stinky artificial especially if they are flashy. Tim is that your own recipe? If so it looks great and would love it. Great job and great advice, helping people with new ideas and/or skills is always a kind gesture. It is how this site should be used more often. Maybe one day a whole bunch of us will find a good public grilling/hangout spot that we can meet up and bullshiz while drinking some beers. I will bring some cobia!
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,356 Admiral
    Nice job guys. I'm jealous.
  • flexdaddyflexdaddy Posts: 35 Deckhand
    very nice. I'm jealous too!
    2005 SeaHunt Triton 212
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,627 Moderator
    now that is something i have not done in a while beer batter..I can close my eyes and just savor the aroma of the fish frying.
    Thanks for the report
    larrywitt
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    Drew, Tony has a particular skill set for catching mini-flounder in 100+ feet of water. Nearly every time we are out he ends up catching at least one tiny flounder that is about 6 inches short of keeper size!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fishingkid315fishingkid315 Posts: 1,947 Captain
    Sweet!
    Sarasota,Fl 
    Fishing, Photography, Life