Home General Hunting

HELP for HUNTERS that plan on VOTING

SWFL HunterSWFL Hunter Posts: 669 Officer
I just finished my absentee ballot and had a hard time understanding the amendments. I found this neutral site that translates the vocabulary to something we could understand. It was very helpful and if you have not yet voted you might want to give it a few minutes. You only do this once every 4 years, and the out come has a bearing on the rest of your life.

Here is the link

http://collinscenter.org/2012flamendments/home-2/

Also there are votes required regarding retention of justices, I found the following helpful

https://democracyatstake.org/

http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/index.html

The following amendments will appear on the General Election ballot on November 6, 2012. The Collins Center’s analysis of these proposed constitutional amendments provides explanations of the proposals along with arguments for and against them.

Amendment 1 : Health Care Services
Amendment 2: Veteran’s Property Tax Discount
Amendment 3: State Revenue Limitation
Amendment 4: Property tax limitations; property value decline; reduction for non-homesteaded assessment increases; delay of scheduled repeal
Amendment 5: State Courts
Amendment 6: Prohibition on Public Funding of Abortions; Construction of Abortion Rights
Amendment 7: This proposal was known as Amendment 7 until a legal challenge by opponents led to the rewriting of some of the ballot language and its reinstatement on the ballot as Amendment 8. This is the reason there is no Amendment 7 on the 2012 ballot.
Amendment 8: Religious Freedom
Amendment 9: Homestead Property Tax Exemption for Surviving Spouse of Military Veteran or First Responder
Amendment 10: Tangible Personal Property Tax Exemption
Amendment 11: Additional Homestead Exemption; Low-Income Seniors Who Maintain Long-Term Residency on Property; Equal to Assessed Value
Amendment 12: Appointment of Student Body President to Board of Governors of the State University System

Replies

• DoradoDreaminDoradoDreamin Posts: 2,098 Captain
    Amendments are always tough. I was a little bothered by all the "homestead" exemptions on the ballot this year. I'm okay with some folks getting exemptions but if they keep this up almost no one will be paying property taxes and what happens then to our schools/fire/police? Got to stop somewhere.
  • AllenRAllenR Posts: 2,702 Captain
    I voted yesterday and had a cheat sheet on how I wanted to vote on the amendments. I can tell you it is a very busy voting year so you need to read them ahead of time or you will be there forever
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,340 AG
    Vote no on all amendments.

Retain all judges so our crooked governor can't appoint any of his cronies.

http://www.sportsmenvote.com/hunting/
  • rrbgttrrbgtt Posts: 6,758 Admiral
    Cyclist wrote: »

I agree on the amendments, but not on the judges.

When even lawyers are ignorant of the law, we don't need to add more or amend them.
    A judge is merely and incumbent. Get rid of 'em all.
    From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned bobcat!
  • AllenRAllenR Posts: 2,702 Captain
    I vote against every judge on the ballot, every election
  • SWFL HunterSWFL Hunter Posts: 669 Officer
    Cyclist wrote: »

Some exemptions will be helpful to wounded veterans, and I for one could not think of a greater group of Americans more deserving of those exemptions.
    Yes, the wounded veteran amendment is one I would look at strongly.

This is the low down I am basing my no vote on.

Synopsis: Amendment 2 relaxes the eligibility requirements for an existing property tax discount offered to disabled veterans. Currently, disabled veterans who meet the following four requirements are eligible for a property tax discount commensurate with the degree of their disability: 1) current Florida resident; 2) 65 or older; 3) disabled in combat; 4) Florida resident when they entered the military. If passed, Amendment 2 would eliminate that fourth eligibility requirement. As an example of how it works, a veteran eligible for the discount with a 50 percent disability can claim 50 percent off the assessed value of his home. Roughly 1,200 veterans received that discount in 2010, allowing them to subtract, on average, $24,000 from their home’s value before property taxes were calculated. This proposed amendment would give that same tax break to veterans, age 65 and older, who were disabled in combat but living in another state when they entered the military so long as they now claim Florida residency. The state estimates that if Amendment 2 passes, school districts and local governments would lose a total of $15 million over the first three years.

As far as the judges go, they have good reputations and were mostly appointed by a conservative (not a crooked one like scott).
  • SWFL HunterSWFL Hunter Posts: 669 Officer
    Actually most of the judges were appointed by Lawton Chiles (D). If not mistaken, from all that I read yesterday, which was a lot to digest at once, only two were appointed by republicans, and one was Jeb Bush.

And most have been there since 1998 or 2004.
    Actually most of the judges were appointed by Lawton Chiles (D). If not mistaken, from all that I read yesterday, which was a lot to digest at once, only two were appointed by republicans, and one was Jeb Bush.

And most have been there since 1998 or 2004.

Thanks for the info.
  • huntmstrhuntmstr Posts: 6,290 Admiral
    I'm voting yes on 1 & 6, all the rest are no votes.
    Bushnell, Primos and Final Approach Pro Staff. Proud member of the Fab Five, Big Leaugers and Bobble Head 4.

I had you pissed off at hello.
  • Fish AddictFish Addict Posts: 686 Officer
    huntmstr wrote: »

yep me too :USA
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 3,103 Moderator
    Where's the ammendment to abolish property taxes altogether? Confiscatory taxes are anti-conservative and un-American. So much for saving up to buy a piece of property for you and your kids to hunt on.
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 8,079 Admiral
    No on all the judges.

Yes on #5.......makes it closer to US Constitution as far as appointing judges.

#1 is a nice statement of sentiment but will accomplish nothing as so many of us have already lost that characteristic of American culture that resists "the man".

The rest........it strikes me that in every instance we'd fair better electing representatives with the courage to be fiscally responsible. Fact is money is fungible and in many instances even if we restrict the ability of one level of government to tax us that level, especially if it is the higher level, can dish off to the next level the taxing/spending.

We end up chasing our tail................
  • SLW210SLW210 Posts: 2,226 Captain

I voted Sunday.
    I went yes on 1 & 6, though I started to vote no on all and probably should have voted no on all amendments.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,654 Moderator

I'm doing this plus yes on 5.

The homestead ones sure to feel good and I'd like to vote Y, but I'm sick and tired of all Americans not being treated equally. Not only this, but I find property tax to be morally reprhensible. That being said, the more and more people you let off the hook for a piece here and a piece there, the less and less likely it becomes that we come together and say enough is enough. I'm so sick and tired of people being put into different classes (military service, income, race, age, gender) it's just about more than I can stand. So, while I wanted to just check No on all of them, I will be voting Yes for 1, 5 and 6.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • FishinMcNutFishinMcNut Posts: 536 Officer
    AllenR wrote: »
    Same here. Turnover is healthy. Cyclist disagrees because he knows who appoints them.
  • BOLTBOLT Posts: 49 Deckhand
    AllenR wrote: »

Haha! I do the same thing every election. I'm against career politicians in any arena.
  • Old E.Old E. Posts: 596 Officer
    I voted to retain all of the justices. All those who came up for a retention vote, in my opinion, do a good job.

I vote no on ALL amendments. There is no reason to add these things to the constitution. Once added they are nearly impossible to undo. They are almost always special interest groups trying to circumvent the legislature. That is not the intention of the constitution or the legislative process.

Finally, this belongs in the politics section, not hunting. Nothing to do with hunting.