When do you retire the jig?

Going through some of my gear, tying up some new assist hooks and generally just prepping for tomorrow since THE SEAS ARE FINALLY DOWN and my a$$ is going fishing. It got me thinking of when is a jig just... not pretty enough to get used again? I know, I know, people use butter knifes and catch fish but when your jigs all scratched up and the lead is showing it really isn't shiney! Here's a few of mine that I'm questioning right now.

002-7.jpg

They've still got some shine to them but I think the one on top is about done since it's run in with my last king fish. The one below it I think could be used again, the blue one seems ok aside from some deep teeth marks and I need to see if the yellow one still has glow to it. Seems a shame to toss them into the junk pile. Would be great if someone could reuse the old lead to make new ones. So how long do you guys keep your jigs around before they hit retired veteran status?

Replies

• nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,787 Captain
    Yea those are pretty trashed and won't catch fish anymore.

I will recycle them if you pay for shipping.
  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 8,088 Admiral
    When the fish take them from me is when I retire them.

http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/prismtape.htm
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• CrstyCptSWitherspoonCrstyCptSWitherspoon Posts: 590 Officer
    Spineyman wrote: »

Hey that's pretty cool, might pick me up some. My thinking is when they get all scratched up and loose their shine they won't attract fish from as far away if they're not reflecting as much light (for pelagics obviously, since there's not much light near the bottom).
  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 8,088 Admiral
    The silver scale is awesome. I just use about a 1/2 " strip on each side the length of the jig and it is as good as new. Fish will inhale them again.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• CookinmanCookinman Posts: 880 Officer
    Spineyman wrote: »

X 2. Too $$ to throw away. Besides its a reaction strike, so if theyre all toothed up, IDC......I hve a tray I use for when Kingfish are cutting mer off alot, Ill use the older jigs......

Thanks for the site Spiney - love the idea !

As FYI - I will fish em as long as they stay straight - when the bend up I will sometimes straighten em in the VISE, but If I Cant ge the bend oput - then its goodbye for em ....
  • mleach82mleach82 Posts: 58 Greenhorn
    I usually only retire lures if they become so mangled it affects the action of the bait
  • kayakanglerkayakangler Posts: 207 Officer
    I am not sure how true this is but i read in the one of the recent florida sport fishing magazines that scratched, banged up, and jigs with missing paint still work just fine. the article said it actually might work better that way. (different action, different looks, injured bait and so on.) it wasnt in the latest issue of floridasport fishing, i think it was the one before it. it was an interesting article. personally i have had some of my biggest fish and hardest strikes on jigs that had very little paint and alot of teeth marks. i wouldnt throw them out if i were you. buy some paint and get creative
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Never retire the jigs.They are still good. Put on new hooks if you need to. The fish will still go after them. I use them till they are cut off.
  • blazing_reelsblazing_reels Posts: 589 Officer
    Yea I have one that has caught me numerous fish that has taken a huge beating. All of the silver is gone off one side and only the lead color is now showing. It still produces fish for me time and again. These jigs are too expensive to just throw away.
  • Yak HardYak Hard Posts: 62 Deckhand
    My favorite top water lure is all silver with a white belly and a bright orange chin.. however.. It is now just raw off white plastic as it has been hit so much all color is gone and has only most of one eye left.. however.. it produces the same.. as the action is the same. My 2 cents
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,724 Captain
    Personally, I would never get rid of a jig thats banged up, as I don't think the fish care but if you want to make it look purdy there is a new product out to refurbish them.
    http://www.jigskinz.com/

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway