Spillway Snook

redjimredjim Posts: 774 Officer
Good Afternoon

I found a new spillway Sunday that was flowing hard with fresh water and loads of bait. There were proably 500,000 or so mullet that had taken residence there too and of coarse the Snook were in there in a big way.

I ended up spending 3 or so hours there Sunday afternoon. I worked every known worthy snook lure for an hour or so then netted mullet and went the live route for the next two hours. Only darn thing I picked was a decent red and 3-4 ladyfish (on the darn plugs). I know for a fact it was not ladyfish and a few reds that were CRASHING the thousands of mullet, it was Snook and they wanted nothing to do with my offerings, when I lived baited, I was using 6"-8" mullet, with a 4/0 circle hook through the lips and 30 LB florcarbon leader. I replaced the bait every 15 or so minutes to keep it fresh.

I was even able to net 2 of those SWEET fresh water shad that they love so much (went down to a small hook) and still did not get a hook up which surprised me.

I figure I may wait a night with full moon tonight and hit it hard TH FRI night. Figuring the moon phase will be better and I figure night time for snook are usually always better.

Maybe I need to go back to the Port and get some more live sardines. I know they will NEVER give those up.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated? I know for a fact next time I may scrap the artificials from the begining.

Thank you, in advance. I have learned an awful lot from folks here.

Replies

• Chuck DChuck D Posts: 427 Officer
    The only thing that works for me at spillways is Red Tail Hawk jigs. Try between 1 and 2 ounce models depending on how fast the water is flowing. I reel them VERY slow with a big jerk of the rod every couple reels.
  • ChuddybuckrivetChuddybuckrivet Posts: 3,156 Officer
    Try a fresh dead mullet on the bottom.
  • JesseJamesJesseJames Posts: 2,408 Officer
    Try a lighter leader.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    copoutfishing.com
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    Cut a mullet in half, rig the head half the same way you did before. Cast the half mullet behind the school of mullet and wait. If you don't get slammed, I'd be surprised.

Tight Lines!
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • redjimredjim Posts: 774 Officer
    ZimmerNole wrote: »
    Cut a mullet in half, rig the head half the same way you did before. Cast the half mullet behind the school of mullet and wait. If you don't get slammed, I'd be surprised.

Tight Lines!

I do not quite understand (rig the head half) the same way you did before. ??

Thank you!!
    lighter than 30?

20 or 25 maybe,... Some worthy fish in there guessing 25lbsish

Thank you
    I thank EVERYONE for their thoughts!!!

You too JohnD!!!!

I do appreciate
  • johnDjohnD Posts: 6,388 Admiral
    I wouldn't go any lighter than #30, Jim.
  • snookcatcher1snookcatcher1 Posts: 256 Officer
    redjim wrote: »
    I do not quite understand (rig the head half) the same way you did before. ??

Thank you!!

Cut the mullet in half. Take the half with the head on it (front half) - hook this front half through the lips of the mullet head (just like you rigged your live bait.) Chunk it out there. Post up your Catch! Tight Lines!
    So, instead of just the head, this time I will use 1/2 of the fish.

I went home at lunch caught a bunch of 8-10" fish, will give those a shot around quitting time.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
  • SnookmeisterSnookmeister Posts: 1,035 Officer
    Here's the thing, it sounds like there is tons of bait. When you are in that situation, it can just be flat out hard as hell to get a bite. Why would the fish bite yours when there are 100,000 other baits right there? I usually like topwaters in that situation. In my opinion, you need some kind of freshwater bait. Mullet are fast hell, when snook are in that type of situation, they are not gonna work extra hard, they don't have to. Big live shiners are the money, or bluegills. However, I can tell you from much spillway snook experience, most of the time you have a very small strike zone, especially of there are loads of baitfish. I am not sure which spillway fishin so I can't tell you where might be the best place. Usually with spillway fish, if I am not getting bit it is because of the bait I am throwing or the placement, not the leader size or anything like that.

People tend to think that spillway snook are always the easiest to catch, sometimes they are. However they can be the pickiest of any.
    Catch 'em and Release 'em!
    http://tampaurbanangler.blogspot.com/
  • shallow thinkershallow thinker Posts: 50 Greenhorn
    Another vote for red tail hawk. I fish 3/4 to 1.5 ounces depending on the current. You want to be down in the water column. I throw up in the boil and let it sink on a tight line. If you go slack you will lose your lure to the rocks on bottom. Let it churn around while you keep enough tension in the line to feel the bait. Each cast lasts a minute or so since the lure eventually works it way down current. I keep my rod tip at 45 degrees and don't jig it at all. The fish near the bottom are not leader shy so I go with 50 lb.

One way to manage your depth is to rig up a 3 foot bimini then a 3 foot leader. If I can see the bimini then I am fishing too shallow
  • Joupdog1Joupdog1 Posts: 1,416 Officer
    I've been in situations where there are 150lb tarpon jumping out of the water 5ft from the kayak and there would be hundreds of tarpon, but hundreds of thousands of mullet. I think we jumped 4 that week. Point is, too much bait is never a good thing. I'd fish a flare hawk underneath them on the bottom.
  • TB421TB421 Posts: 271 Officer
    Live tilapia is always a good choice if it's around.
    It is so wierd how every east coast guy always says flare hawk jigs. I have fished with flare hawk jigs over here on a off for like 10 years and caught maybe one snook with them. Lol, I know they work over there but I can't ever seem to get a bite with one slow Rollin it, hopping it, twitching, every retrieve I can think of. See over here I would say go to lure for snook would be like an unweighted Texas rigged magnum zoom fluke. Maybe they would work, I suppose I have caught on reg buck tails once in a while but personally I have no confidence in the red tail hawks, same with all my local snook doggs.
    Try that chugger redjim!!!!
    It is so wierd how every east coast guy always says flare hawk jigs. I have fished with flare hawk jigs over here on a off for like 10 years and caught maybe one snook with them. Lol, I know they work over there but I can't ever seem to get a bite with one slow Rollin it, hopping it, twitching, every retrieve I can think of. See over here I would say go to lure for snook would be like an unweighted Texas rigged magnum zoom fluke. Maybe they would work, I suppose I have caught on reg buck tails once in a while but personally I have no confidence in the red tail hawks, same with all my local snook doggs.

East coast guy here lol, and if you throw a flare hawk at the bridges here in the winter. You are guarenteed a BIG bite. Same with spillways, 2 totally different fisheries.
  • mandaferretmandaferret Posts: 932 Officer
    I'm on east coast, and I have never even caught a fish on a bucktail.
    I'm on east coast, and I have never even caught a fish on a bucktail.

Then you haven't fished under the Roosavelt or 10 cent at night with one!
  • DoozeDooze Posts: 233 Officer
    Chuck D wrote: »
    The only thing that works for me at spillways is Red Tail Hawk jigs. Try between 1 and 2 ounce models depending on how fast the water is flowing. I reel them VERY slow with a big jerk of the rod every couple reels.

I agree with Chuck D about the Red Tail Hawk jigs being good spillway lures. They are particularly good when the water is really moving because you can really work the water column with the 1-2oz jig until you find the strike zone.

I haven't always been a bucktail guy, but I eventually found some techniques that paid off and a bucktail is something I always have with me around moving water. You have to figure out which retrieve and action works for the conditions. At the spillways, sometimes I will barely drag the jig along the bottom and get thumps, whereas other times I will just reel it slowly midway to 3/4 of the to the bottom with no jigging action and get strikes. Good luck red. Spillways can be a hot ticket.
  • KnotabiteKnotabite Posts: 332 Officer
    Start with a 10 ft cast net unless there are a lot if snags then go to a weighted treble hook like Willy on swamp people