Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Mango Question

Heading back home this weekend for a few days of fishing and wanted to target some mangos. Our usual trips when I am home are for grouper and trolling for whatever might be swimming around but this time I want something different. I would love to get the hang of catching these snapper on a consistent basis so any help would be appreciated. How deep are they now? Do they hold on some of the same reefs all year? What type of bottom do they hold on? Rigging?

I will be fishing out of Gulf Harbors just north of Tarpon Springs. Again, thanks for any help.

Replies

• clarosaclarosa Posts: 677 Officer
    Out of that area, I have a little more trouble getting the mango's than I do say out of st. pete. But I have on occasion found some mango's on some of my higher releif area's out of that area. Any ledge with more than 5' of releif usually holds them in 45-70'. As for getting them to bite, now that's a different story. I usually have had my best luck for the mango's in the hour that the tide slows down, stops, then turns the other way. I usually chum very heavily about 20' up current of the ledge while the current i still flowing a little(my chum usually just consists of thawed frozen sardines that I cut up with shears in very small peices and throw out in small handfulls every 20 seconds or so, along with a typical chum bag). Once the tide slows down, usually you'll start seeing them in your chumslick within 10-20' of the surface. If that happens, I'll cut about 1/4 of a chunk of sardine, and bury a 1/0-2/0 hook in it to where the spooky snapper wont see it, and use about 20' of 20lb fluoro, double albrighted to 20-30lb braid. I usually freeline the chunk with a handfull of cut up dines. If the current doesn't slow down enough, i'll use a 1/8oz banana jig to pull the chunk down. Live 3" scaled sardines work really well as well with either a very small jighead, or 1/16th ounce knocker rig using the same chumming techinque. That is literally the only way i've caught mango's consistently out of that area during the day. Night, on the other hand, is a lot easier, especially on the full moons. I know, seems like a pain in the ***, but like I said, in this area, which i fish more than anywhere else, it's the only way i have consistently caught them. Let me know if you have any questions..
    -chris
  • SalmonHawkSalmonHawk Posts: 88 Greenhorn
    Thanks for all the great tips, very much appreciated.
  • clarosaclarosa Posts: 677 Officer
  • timbo615timbo615 Posts: 237 Officer
    You also might want a lite tip pole to feel the bite. It can be tricky with the average size mangos. I like a really nice medium size spinner. If its not a nicer one, they will destroy the gears. FYI you will not need the light tip for the larger ones they will let you know they are hooked.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
  • SalmonHawkSalmonHawk Posts: 88 Greenhorn
    Hopefully we get some of those bigger ones!!