Trim Problems

Posting this in the freshwater section in hopes some of you have had bass boats with similar problems..

This weekend I was running across the lake with my engine fully trimmed up when suddenly I noticed the boat trimming down and starting to plow. I immediately tried trimming it back up however the boat wasn’t lifting at all. I shut down and heard that noise the engine makes when it is trimming. It was stuck in a downward trim and the only way it would stop is if I trimmed it up. When I trim it up the engine goes nowhere but just stops trimming down (hope im not losing you). I have three spots on my boat where I can control the trim as pictured. My question to some of you who may be more knowledgeable about this is ..
1. Is this a short?
2. Are all the spots on the boat that control the trim connected to the same wire?
3. What else besides a short could it be?
4. Is it going to be expensive to fix?
photo-11.jpg
photo3-9.jpg
photo1-7.jpg

Replies

• johnDjohnD Posts: 6,388 Admiral
    I'd definitely post in this general boating.
  • Hope it's a cheap easy fix.
  • acesoveracesover Posts: 552 Officer
    This happened to me on one of my motors, and it was the relay that was on the engine itself. The engine was a 93 Johnson 70hp, and it had 2 relays, one to trim it up and one to trim it down. If you can find the relays, try reversing them and see if the motor does the opposite, i.e., it trims up but not down. Hope it's this simple!
    FYIWFG