Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

ISLAMORADA 7-24/26-2011 ON PLANE FISH N. SAILFISH, DOLPHIN, BARRACUDA, VIDEO ATTACHED

We assembled our team (Eric and Chad from Plane Fish n, Dan from Reel C's and Jerry from Lucky Us) for the trip to Islamorada.

We left on Sunday evening and drove for 3.5 hours from Palm City. :driver

We arrived at the Hampton Hotel and Suites which was a great place to stay. They have their own boat ramp (which is capable of at least a 31' that we know of) and wonderful docks. :crowd

0725111757.jpg
0725111758a.jpg

On Monday morning, we awoke to 10-15 knots of wind and an occasional gust. The boat was launched and we went to have our full complimentary hot breakfast.

After breakfast, we drove to the Trading Post which has the most awesome deli sandwiches for our lunch.

Having to wait for the tide to be up a bit wasn't too bad and we finally left the dock about 8:30am.

We set up 2 outriggers, 2 flat lines and a squid in the center and started to troll past Alligator Light and in about 150', our squid catches it's first dolphin (peanut). Chad (aka the Sailman) brings the fish in. The day is looking promising.

We continued to troll out to deeper water and in about 255', our right flat line snaps from the clip. The TLD 25 starts to spool... FISH ON!!!!!!!! :fishing

Dan quickly grabs the rod and sets the hook and hands it off to Jerry who is still trying to catch his first Atlantic Sailfish.

With some coaching, Jerry brings in "Freddy" (no ****.. he named it!). :shrug

Problem is, Freddy is pissed and lets Dan know it. We called him Psycho Fish (Freddy, not Dan). :cookoo

Chad and I backed up several times as Freddy decides he wants to impale Dan perhaps for a kebab that night.

Dan expertly removes the hook from Freddy and he was still so green that we let him swim off for another adventure.

We trolled all the way out to the Islamorada Hump (285' to 560') and had several sail knockdowns. The seas were probably 2-4' at their worst. Very fishable and a nice ride.

We trolled from the Islamorada Hump to the 409 Hump and halfway, we decided to troll in towards shore.

We get a knockdown in about 210' and Dan quickly runs and grabs the rod nearly knocking Jerry and whoever else was in the way overboard. :hairraiser:hairraiser

Seriously, Dan brings in a barracuda and for the first time, my stainless dehooker actually dehooked a fish. I still don't like them but perhaps my technique is wrong.

We hit the channel at about 3:15pm, did a quick washdown of the equipment and the boat and relaxed by the pool and beach.

0725111755a.jpg
0725111755.jpg
0725111754b.jpg
0725111754.jpg

Monday night, we walked outside to check the boats and winds are blowing 20 to 25 knots. NOT GOOD!!!!

We awoke Tuesday morning to Small Craft Advisories with an Increase in wind. :banghead

We decided to scratch the day of fishing and just be happy that we had one good day on the water.

Jerry was amazing though. On 2 separate days, he managed to completely screw up making a waffle and caked up the machine both times. Lucky for him, the lady who was setting up the food didn't speak english and she just kept smiling and he kept talking.. Somehow they actually communicated.... perhaps in pig latin or something. :rotflmao:rotflmao

0726110731.jpg

All in all, a great trip.

We missed Bo on this trip but I know he will be on the next.

Thanks Chad, Dan and Jerry for a great trip. :applause:applause

Cheers

Eric
PLANE FISH N

Replies

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,373 Admiral
    :beer looked liked a great trip!!
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • JerryBJerryB Posts: 189 Officer
    :thumbsup:thumbsupA great trip with really good guys. Was exciting getting Freddy the Sail and he really did try to get Dan. Maybe we will get him up here again as he is no doubt headed North. That was the worst waffle machine I have ever seen, couldn't have been me.:hail Hope more trips are up coming. Thanks All.
    :applause[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:hungry
  • Reel CsReel Cs Posts: 255 Officer
    Great post Eric! You should start a "posting" business. Nobody does it better. Great trip and "Freddie the slasher" may be heading this way for another encounter.
    TIGHT LINES FROM DAN
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,392 Captain
    Congrats on Jerry's first sail. :thumbsup

A bit of constructive criticism if you don't mind... PLEASE keep the boat in gear next time you have any feisty billfish next to the boat. You'll have far more control over the fish on the leader as it comes alongside for release. The infection that often comes along with a billfish puncture wound is no joke, never mind the puncture itself. My forearm has a lovely scar from "Zorro the sail" during my earlier days fishing in Mexico. I hate seeing people get hurt over something so easily avoidable.
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    Congrats on Jerry's first sail. :thumbsup

A bit of constructive criticism if you don't mind... PLEASE keep the boat in gear next time you have any feisty billfish next to the boat. You'll have far more control over the fish on the leader as it comes alongside for release. The infection that often comes along with a billfish puncture wound is no joke, never mind the puncture itself. My forearm has a lovely scar from "Zorro the sail" during my earlier days fishing in Mexico. I hate seeing people get hurt over something so easily avoidable.

Dave,

Excellent advice.. thanks and keep it coming.

I am at fault there. I did take it out of gear just as the fish came to the side.

I guess I should have treated this scenario like we do with dolphin by having them swim along side with the boat in gear.

Cheers

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
    Slough

It was awesome. Thanks

Jerry

You did a great job with Freddy. See you tomorrow.

Dan

Thanks buddy. It was very enjoyable. Also kudos to you for your movie making skills. It came out great.

Hank

Hey buddy. Are you back yet from Indiana?

Hope all is well. We will be out tomorrow with Bo (Let's Go), Jerry (Lucky Us) and Dan (Reel C's)

Cheers

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • M T PocketsM T Pockets Posts: 551 Officer
    Awesome report, glad you guys had fun...next time I will go with you guys! Good job! Videos are awesome, catch 'em up tomorrow!
  • Sea EraSea Era Posts: 491 Officer
    That waffle machine cracked me up:Spittingcoffee Great video :THANKS
  • PaulBoatPaulBoat Posts: 4,389 Officer
    Fun times - sounds like an awesome trip.
  • PescadoPescado Posts: 76 Greenhorn
    BTW, I have stayed at that hotel several times (using Hilton Honors points) and it is a great place to start in Islamorada. Around the corner from Bud n Marys, Outback Restaurant connnected to the hotel (with a great Tiki Bar poolside) awesome beach area and close to most great things in Islamorada. Highly recommned this place.
  • fishknutfishknut Posts: 3,928 Captain
    Great report Eric, we are down here now for mini and the freakin wind is howling. Wednesday we got 7, yes seven lobster, we usually get our limit the first day (24 or more). Probably heading home early.
    Fail to plan, plan to fail.......
  • ShoelessShoeless Posts: 2,110 Captain
    Awesome report Eric, the video was great:hail. I definitely need to get my butt down there for some fishing. I hate being stuck at work knowing there is good fishing going on :banghead.

This weekend is looking a little sloppy out there, so I'm going to hook up with a buddy and see if I can scoop up a snook or two. I can't wait for Sept. 1:fishing
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FishNfoolFishNfool Posts: 142 Deckhand
    Eric,
    Nice post. Glad to see you guys had some fun in the keys. I stayed at hawks cay a few weeks back, but I didn't have the boat. I walked to the marina daily and every boat was slaying the fish.
  • LET'S GOLET'S GO Posts: 2,041 Captain
    Hey gang good to hear that the team put Jerry on his first sail. Good team work and healthy release. Too bad on a wash on second day.
    GOOD LUCK TO ALL FROM TEAM LET'S GO,
    BONES AND BOOMER. :dog :dog LET'S MAKE EVERY TRIP COUNT

baf44a4e-6651-4a38-8a03-7b1c3b6bd22b_zpse5ca0565.jpg L.G. LIFE IS GOOD ON THE "LET'S GO!"
  • VenturesomeVenturesome Posts: 1,743 Officer
    wow, very nice eric. glad it went well. great pics and video....you know how much we like on the vsome....
    2392.jpg
  • isla21isla21 Posts: 2,115 Officer
    I love that place. For such a short drive it seems like you are in a different state. Nice trip guys
    Tom,

Thanks buddy.. .there is always room for you. :Rockon

Sea Era and PaulBoat,

Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for watching.

Pescado,

Agreed... we went to the Whale Harbor Seafood Buffet which was pricey at $30 pp but it was mediocre at best. Very institutionalized when it came to food and they metered out food. We would not go back. We should have done Outback which as you said was connected to the hotel. :shrug

Rick,

the wind was howling for sure. I hope it didn't screw up your time down there. I guess there were already some deaths down there. Be careful my friend.

Sean,

You will love it. Your boat would trailer nicely down there. Give me a shout and I will give you all the particulars. Hope to see you on the water next week buddy. :thumbsup

Mike,

Wow... a blast from the past. I thought you were angry with me or something. Hope all is well and that you are enjoying the family! Give me a call sometime.

Bo,

It wasn't the same without you. I need your calm, easy demeanor to keep me in check. We really missed you buddy. :beer

Steve,

My videos never compare to yours. You guys are dialed in with the video and camera. We went to your website the other day and saw the Tuna video.. AWESOME!!!!!! Say hello to Mrs. V.

Isla21

you are so right. It is a fantastic place. We are already contemplating our next mini trip.. perhaps to Key West, Marquesas or........

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • Kevinwwings2Kevinwwings2 Posts: 1,279 Officer
    Nice job Eric and crew. Gotta love that hotel.... I have spent many a Hilton point there. Sucks ya didn't get to fish day 2, but glad you made the best of it. Enjoy it and have a safe drive home. Boat looks great at the dock, it looks happy too.
    Hey Kevin,

Thanks much buddy.

It was a great hotel to set up headquarters.

Again, anytime you want to join us on the boat, give me a shout... as my guest.. we would be glad to have you.

Take care my friend

Cheers

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • latitudeajustmentlatitudeajustment Posts: 2,058 Captain
    Eric, glad to see u guys enjoyed yourselves in the Keys! We always have a good time down here and scored some very nice lobster ourselves! Fished out back due to the wind howling and picked up some very tasty mangrove snappa. Hope all is well and hope to fish with you soon!
    Hey Patrick..

Awesome that you guys scored some bugs and some "snappa" too.

We had a great time.

We will get together soon.

Cheers

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • fishingbuddiesfishingbuddies Posts: 636 Officer
    Sounds like a great trip. I know the seas where rought that week. At least you made the best out of it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    “When you have to choose between two evils you still choose evil” Jerry Garcia
    It was wonderful Fishing Buddies..

How was 1deadbait's trip down there?

Did they do ok?

Cheers

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • fishingbuddiesfishingbuddies Posts: 636 Officer
    It was wonderful Fishing Buddies..

How was 1deadbait's trip down there?

Did they do ok?

Cheers
    We did OK the weather could have been better. See our report, thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    “When you have to choose between two evils you still choose evil” Jerry Garcia