South of Longbar

95% of the time I fish from Longbar North to the Skyway, the River and Tera Ceia and do quite well. Decided to take the wife out fishing south Sarasota bay Sat night didn't catch a thing and gave up about 1am. We put in at 10th st boat ramp just before sunset and stayed south because the wind was ridiculous. It had to have been blowing at least 15 out of the north and the bay was pretty sloppy. Went out New Pass and up to Big Pass looking for bait. I couldn't find bait anywhere before the sun went down and spent most of the night trying to duck out of the wind throwing Gulps, DOA's, and Plugs.

My question is where do the folks who fish south Sarasota Bay get bait regularly? I tried chuming the flats inside New Pass, inside Big Pass and around by the Yacht Club with no luck and the New pass bait shop was closed. I'd like to change it up some and fish south more but without bait its kinda tough and finding bait at night is even harder. Any help would be much appreciated.
2005 SeaHunt Triton 212

Replies

• RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    I always see guys using their cast nets to catch bait in that little bay adjacent to the New Pass bait shop. Last time I was there the bait was really tiny and not worth catching. Be careful because it gets pretty shallow in there. Its also worth mentioning that the bait shop owners dont like you casting near their docks as it intereferes with the ability of customers to dock.

If your boat is big enough to get out of the pass into the gulf, you can find greenbacks and pins along the beach on Siesta Key at certain times of the year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LcmaglichLcmaglich Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    flats north of big pass on the west side of bird key
  • fishingkid315fishingkid315 Posts: 1,953 Captain
    You can Just castnet around new pass grille because it is stocked with bait, the beaches usually hold fish and my favorite spot which i am supprised i am telling you in the bridge after ringling bridge... Bird Key Bridge I believe. It is located next to the radio tower flats.. It is great for greenbacks and finger mullet.
    Sarasota,Fl 
    Fishing, Photography, Life
  • onemorecastonemorecast Posts: 52 Deckhand
    The sandbar in front of the Charthouse at New Pass has been a favorite for years. Last time I was wading inside Big Pass the bait was small... Time of year? Cheep fishy dog/cat food usually brings them if they are there...
  • flexdaddyflexdaddy Posts: 35 Deckhand
    Thanks everyone. Sounds like I was in all the right places, doing all the right things, just at all the wrong times.
    2005 SeaHunt Triton 212
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,958 Captain
    flexdaddy wrote: »
    95% of the time I fish from Longbar North to the Skyway, the River and Tera Ceia and do quite well. Decided to take the wife out fishing south Sarasota bay Sat night didn't catch a thing and gave up about 1am. We put in at 10th st boat ramp just before sunset and stayed south because the wind was ridiculous. It had to have been blowing at least 15 out of the north and the bay was pretty sloppy. Went out New Pass and up to Big Pass looking for bait. I couldn't find bait anywhere before the sun went down and spent most of the night trying to duck out of the wind throwing Gulps, DOA's, and Plugs.

My question is where do the folks who fish south Sarasota Bay get bait regularly? I tried chuming the flats inside New Pass, inside Big Pass and around by the Yacht Club with no luck and the New pass bait shop was closed. I'd like to change it up some and fish south more but without bait its kinda tough and finding bait at night is even harder. Any help would be much appreciated.

All the places you mentioned usually hold white bait...With the wind howling and water chopped up obviously harder to see baits "popping"