redfish Pass kings & grouper

First time out in new to me rig . just purchased a 22 center console glacier bay with a pair of 70 4-stroke suzuki not fast but i can afford to use it .It handled the chop well , a little hard to get use to in the trough.l met a guy from New Zeland here to buy a boat to ship back,we headed out of redfish late about 10.00 am started trolling about 30 ft near traps picked up a few shorts (gags) finally put one in the box about 25 inches Than the fun began two kings at once managed to land one about 20lbs had two more bite offs got a pick of the king but cant figure out how to transfer from phone using deep diver rapallas a little bouncey out there but not to bad. Doesnt sound like it will be much better rest of the week. anybody want to fish next week,its to hard by yourself and not nearly as much fun!!

Replies

• nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,356 Admiral
    Nice report. Try adding 2 foot of 90# seven strand for a leader. It won't spook the fish on the bite, and you won't be getting bit off as much.
  • kellysdadkellysdad Posts: 40 Greenhorn
    Nice report. Try adding 2 foot of 90# seven strand for a leader. It won't spook the fish on the bite, and you won't be getting bit off as much.

do you use a haywire twist or something else ?
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,683 Moderator
    Congrats on the new boat,cats do ride different and boy can they smooth out a chop..looks like you got the skunk out of the box..
    larrywitt
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,356 Admiral
    kellysdad wrote: »
    do you use a haywire twist or something else ?
    I prefer using the seven strand with a double crimp to hold everything together. I only use single strand when I'm trolling on top with the expensive Islander lures and I know cuda's and kings are around. single strand wire is not as flexible as the seven strand cable. use a 90-130# swivel to tie on to the braid then use a 90-130# costal snap swivel to hook up to the lure.