UPDATED NON-NATIVE FISH REGULATIONS

Picked up the latest revision of the fishing regulations at Wal-Mart the other day:

"Non-native fishes, except for peacock bass and triploid grass carp, must not be returned to the water nor may they be used as live bait, and should be consumed or disposed of properly."

"Non-native fish are those that do not occur in Florida naturally; most should be harvested and never released. Exceptions are peacock bass, which is a game fish, and triploid grass carp, which are stocked for vegetation control."

LIST OF NONNATIVE-NONGAME FISH:
Blue Tilapia
Common Carp
Yellow Perch
Oscar
Mayan Cichlid
Jaguar Guapote
Blue Catfish
Flathead Catfish

Interestingly, I saw no mention of snakeheads. Was thinking maybe they are considered game fish/not as invasive as originally thought???

Blue Tilapia genocide here I come!!!! I dont think my efforts and the efforts of several other anglers can put a dent in their (over)populations at some of the ponds around here though.
Was at a spot for getting wild shiners the other day fishing from a dock, hadn't been there in around 6-7 months because of an algea bloom, reportedly hundreds of dead fish everywhere. I would occasionally get good numbers of wild shiners there, and there would always be a ton of bluegill hanging around by the dock. Well when I went there the other day I saw what I can only describe as a sea of juvenielle blue tilapia friggin everywhere...
luckily though they were eating my bread and are pretty fun on the ultralight. Thinking about throwing them in the woods, not sure if thats proper disposal though
bill-dance-motor-o.gif1314011917_bill_dance_fishing_blooper.gifsMozlUn.gif

Replies

• Bass2bucksBass2bucks Posts: 653 Officer
    Interesting. I'm sure they accidentally left out snake heads. Throw them in the woods and the voltures will be on em in a few hours.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,460 Moderator
    I don't see those plecosotmas catfish (pleco) on the list either ?? We've even caught walking catfish way up here.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • RemoteRedsTroutRemoteRedsTrout Posts: 408 Deckhand
    Got these in an hour of fishing from the dock, was getting a good amount of bluegill by-catch, they seem to get to the bread faster than tilapia. Got 2 wild shiners and had them cast out while I was ripping tilapia faces with my ultralight. Would cast to the places that used to occasionally hold the shiners, but the tilapia caught on quickly and would swarm towards that area. No luck with the shiners, turtles got both of them rather quickly, don't have my hopes up for that pond either because the recent algae bloom.

DIE [email protected]%@$*%%$&;S!!!!!
    attachment.php?attachmentid=45494&d=1345171869
    capt louie wrote: »
    I don't see those plecosotmas catfish (pleco) on the list either ?? We've even caught walking catfish way up here.

Wasn't even thinking of plecos, I dont think they were mentioned in the booklet. IMO I think they could be considered invasive if they overpopulate because they probably produce a good amount of waste, but I haven't seen many ponds that had a ton of them. Hopefully they're all triploid
    Oh just remembered this:

Nongame fish may be taken:
    At night by bow and arrow and gigs.
    During daylight hours by manually operated spears, gigs, snatch hooks, crossbow or bow and arrow from a boat or from shore except at.......

Might get a big snatch hook and try to get some on beds in the future, would like to use a gig or bow but don't think residents of the neighborhoods would understand what I was doing
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,460 Moderator
    There are some vids on youtube of guys bowfishing plecos. Some ponds are overrun with them.

http://youtu.be/yi1F8nDYBPc
    "You'll get your weather"
    Thanks for posting that capt louie, i wish there was a like button!
    P.S.
    "Non-native fishes, except for peacock bass and triploid grass carp, must not be returned to the water nor may they be used as live bait, and should be consumed or disposed of properly."
    But I dont see a problem using them as bait in the same body of water you caught them in...

Been killing more juvenile blue tilapia at the local retention pond, kinda considering using a cast net as the "no cast nets allowed" sign that used to be there is gone.....but its alotta work and I kinda don't feel like my efforts would make much of a difference because its only one pond
  • bmoodybmoody Posts: 940 Officer
    In fact, using living exotics as bait, even in the water where you caught them, is prohibited (with the exception of two species commonly sold as bait). While most FWC freshwater regs are in FAC 68A, for exotics you also need to look at 68-5 (note no A).
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,913 Officer
    i just throw them in the trees or bushes.