Skip to main content
Home Photography Corner

Still Waters

Anclote KeyAnclote Key Posts: 2,354 Officer
Took this photo on the way in from fishing yesterday. There is a old sailing term that sailors used to describe when the sky and water horizon seemd to merge and disappear. Sometimes they would become disoriented and feel as if they were jusy floating through the abyss. Does anyone know what that's called? I can't seem to put my finger on it.

sailboatincalmwater.jpg
The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus

Replies

• WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    I can't answer your question.

Very nice work.....again. You have a good eye and a good touch.

Tim should be along soon to answer your question. He is a sailor.
  • BillgranBillgran Posts: 350 Deckhand
    Wasn't the expression " in irons"?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat"
    --- Travis McGee

• Anclote KeyAnclote Key Posts: 2,354 Officer
    Billgran wrote: »
    Wasn't the expression " in irons"?

Well...close but not exactly what I was thinking of. As I understand that term, in irons, it means the sailboat is facing directly into the wind and the sail is just flapping around instead of catching the wind and moving the boat forward.
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus
    I can't answer your question.

Very nice work.....again. You have a good eye and a good touch.

Tim should be along soon to answer your question. He is a sailor.

Thanks!
  • GTSRGTSR Posts: 750 Officer
    Thanks!

Yeah, in irons means you tried to tack to the other side and got stuck nose into the wind, dead in the water.

If there's no wind and you cant move, the term that comes to mind is "becalmed".
  • ontheedge5658ontheedge5658 Posts: 2,670 Captain
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    Took this photo on the way in from fishing yesterday. There is a old sailing term that sailors used to describe when the sky and water horizon seemd to merge and disappear. Sometimes they would become disoriented and feel as if they were jusy floating through the abyss. Does anyone know what that's called? I can't seem to put my finger on it.

sailboatincalmwater.jpg

Racing sailers call it a "parking lot"...'cause you're parked ain't goin' no where fast.....
    "in irons" is when you haven't enough apparent wind to tack through the eye of the wind...
    a 2kt breeze on the bow will generate enough apparent wind to tack a racing boat....

back on topic....I have been sailing since i was 5 years old and i cannot remember the term...i almost can...
    i'll wake up about 0000 tonight and remember, then post....LOL...
    the "doldrums" is as close as i can remember right now...
    "becalmed" is the only other word i can think of that causes this condition and it can happen at any time of day.....

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
    The Doldrums! It was driving me crazy, but this is what I was thinking of. Thank you!!!