First Marlin!

lhouck23lhouck23 Posts: 57 Deckhand
Went to Domican Republic this week on Vacation. Caught my first Marlin. Here is one of the white marlin we caught. We had a double hookup, both similar fish. Had blast and it only cost $100 per person to go on the 34ft open with Captain and deckhand. There were only 4 fisherman on boat with 6 lines in. It wasn't crowded at all.

277648_10101210986280601_2055086_80359857_2017169_o.jpg
27 Contender :D
Stuart, FL
Pirate's Cove Marina
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• sharkatak1089sharkatak1089 Posts: 6,407 Officer
    good eatin going on right there!
    I am choice.
    Please don't try to interject with reason, it only further confuses the matter.
  • 001001 Posts: 4,292 Captain
    Report a little more about the trip. I have wanted to go there for a while. Location, Accommodations, Do's and Don'ts.
    Nice work.
  • lhouck23lhouck23 Posts: 57 Deckhand
    This was a family vacation with the new fiance's parents. We stayed in Punta Cana at Secrets Royal Resort. I didn't take place in any planning of the trip as a whole. I just managed to slip a way to do a 1/2 day of fishing. Don't have a lot of Dos or Donts as I just took the first opportunity and booked it as an excursion at the resort. I did notice that in Punta Cana the charter fishing fleet is pretty much just a single entity. All the resorts and travel agents say book through them but then they just drop you off at same place. There were about 15 of us on the beach in the morning and they just split us up into groups ~4-6 and took us charter boats who were anchored 100 yards offshore. Very enjoyable though. It was just straight trolling but had good equipment. 2 Penn International 30VSW 2 speeds, 2 Shimano TLD 30s and 1 TLD 25. You could book the entire boat for ~700 US dollars for 1/2 day I believe. They were all similar 30+ foot open boats. Older boats, 1990s or so.

The water was better looking the one day we took the 2 hour drive to Carribiean side. This is where Casa de Campo is. I didn't fish that day though, just went diving one afternoon.
    Stuart, FL
    Pirate's Cove Marina
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tide Up 2Tide Up 2 Posts: 136 Deckhand
    Wow, great job Lonnie! :beer Caught my first (and only) White Marlin where we're headed to Thursday; Walkers Cay. You still goin' ?

Dave
    GrandCayJuly2011084-2.jpg
    Previously "Sunliner" on the forum
  • rod27rod27 Posts: 48 Deckhand
    so how was the meat? It looks like you/they harvested the fish.
    Thanks,

I would love too but I also caught some bug last few days there and am still in bed. Just went to doctor today. I am going to need to get back to work this weekend so cannot make the trip. Have blast and I'll look for FS updates.

I didnt take any meat as I was at a resort with no way to keep or cook. The captain was taking it to his family. They did say you could get some but the Captain wasn't suppose to harvest them as according to Domican laws right now. At least this was what I made out. His English was only slightly better than my Spanish which is pretty much zero.
    Stuart, FL
    Pirate's Cove Marina
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ghoundghound Posts: 34 Deckhand
    Was the resort nice? We were thinking of going in October. Can you snorkel off the beach or do you have to go somewhere else?
    Yeah you could snorkel off beach. It had small sail boats, kayaks, etc with lesson included. Very nice resort. We stayed at Secretes Royal but it is connected to Now Lamir resort. Little cheaper and allows kid.

Just FYI
    Stuart, FL
    Pirate's Cove Marina
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,640 Captain
    :beer
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • 001001 Posts: 4,292 Captain
    Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for the info.
  • ghoundghound Posts: 34 Deckhand
    Thanks for the info
  • tarpon9wttarpon9wt Posts: 110 Officer
    Congratulations...I remember my first marlin.
  • captinmitchcaptinmitch Posts: 5,807 Admiral
    Congrats. Pound for pound, whiteys rock the billfish world. Tight work!
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,388 Captain
    Nice going Lonnie, Congrats! Haven't seen you around lately, but hope you're feeling better. :beer
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    :Rockon