Home Ask the Law!

Need some LEO Input to a Keys based thread

2»

Replies

  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,481 Officer
    I fish 50 plus miles offshore. Good luck with the phone signal. Like I said, I am already a half mile away. Put the radar on 3 miles and when it pings take a look at the direction of the vessel and make a decision. 800 yards wont do it....like I also said, focus on the regulators not our fellow anglers....

    I would think that any boat that fishes that far offshore could afford some sophisticated radar that could "Paint" your position from more than three miles distance, to obtain some accurate GPS coordinates of where you are fishing. At least that is what is commonly done down in Key West to "steal" wreck numbers from boats fishing wayyyy out in the Gulf.
    Giimoozaabi
  • Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,352 Officer
    I fish 50 plus miles offshore. Good luck with the phone signal. Like I said, I am already a half mile away. Put the radar on 3 miles and when it pings take a look at the direction of the vessel and make a decision. 800 yards wont do it....like I also said, focus on the regulators not our fellow anglers....

    You are wrong and your spots are probably already stole. The navionics aps for all smart phones can do everything your gps can do, lay down a track, save waypoints, stores charts for the whole US marine and lakes, and takes photos that are geo taged with the exact quards of the spot they were taken and it all works off of the gps signal not the phone signal and will work anywhere in the world the phone can get a clear signal from the satellites just like the gps in your boat, and the real kick in the head is the card for my gps was $180.00 and only covers all of florida and the bahamas, the app covers the whole us coast and lakes and only cost $10.00 and has all the detail in charts. The SPOT wil fit in your pocket or fish bag or purse and it will lay down a track and show every stop and how long you were there and batteries will last for 4 days. You cant save your spots any more if someone wants them. Your only saving grace fishing that far off shore is most of your clients dont have boats that will get them out there. Now you are in the market for a body and bag scanner like at the airports.
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,481 Officer
    Good point. I have that $10 app on my iphone but I wasn't sure if it worked off the satellites and was actually in the process of trying to find out before posting. Ironically, I used that app two years ago with Miami Mutton's permission, just to see if it worked. (I was on a friend's boat when we hired him). The GPS coordinates I recorded using the phone app were exactly the same as the coordinates my friend saved on his high dollar GPS chart plotter.
    Giimoozaabi
  • Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,352 Officer
    I have been 70 miles off shore and it works great, I dont need any ones spots cause my boat cant get out there anyway and I dont know any one with a boat that will.
  • Roc N Rol wrote: »
    You are wrong and your spots are probably already stole. The navionics aps for all smart phones can do everything your gps can do, lay down a track, save waypoints, stores charts for the whole US marine and lakes, and takes photos that are geo taged with the exact quards of the spot they were taken and it all works off of the gps signal not the phone signal and will work anywhere in the world the phone can get a clear signal from the satellites just like the gps in your boat, and the real kick in the head is the card for my gps was $180.00 and only covers all of florida and the bahamas, the app covers the whole us coast and lakes and only cost $10.00 and has all the detail in charts. The SPOT wil fit in your pocket or fish bag or purse and it will lay down a track and show every stop and how long you were there and batteries will last for 4 days. You cant save your spots any more if someone wants them. Your only saving grace fishing that far off shore is most of your clients dont have boats that will get them out there. Now you are in the market for a body and bag scanner like at the airports.

    well that sucks, had a great day yesterday, lol, focus on the regulators....
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,481 Officer
    Huntress: Too bad electronic cell phone blocking devices are technically illegal in the USA, but hey....since you are out in international waters maybe you could just turn one one after passing the 12 mile boundary ? I'm not sure if one of these devices would block signals from the satellites, but they do disrupt cell phone signals.

    http://www.cellphoneshop.net/blocker.html
    Giimoozaabi
  • miami muttonmiami mutton Posts: 1,138 Officer
    WetFeet wrote: »
    Maybe we should ask Albert his cousin that would post on here all the time Albert and his friend a commercial guy who's name I will leave out and a couple of other people who he fished with taught him and took him to their spots and what does he do he goes and takes everyone that will pay him $450.00 to fish the same spot and get the GPS numbers so that they can come back the following week and start fishing the same spot that every other client he has taken there has.
    I will hand it to his family and ex friends that they have not come on here and openly said how he betryed their trust and is using it to benefit from it.
    Maybe he is not breaking a written law, but it is more serious than that, to utilize your family members for your own gain is right out discustin and moraly incorrect, but then again LoweBoy put it correct he is a P.......
    First,I have not betrade anyone.and i speak and get along with all my family including, those friends you speak of. I learned how to commercial fish with a couple friends of mine, that also taught Albert how to commercial fish, Albert never taught me how to fish or gave me any numbers,I talk to them both and they have no problem with what i do and the commercial numbers i didn't ask for, they gave me the list and they no longer fish and still I only fish a hand full of those numbers since they only produce at certain times,I was fishing 2 years ago in a big yellowtail spot in the whisle bouy area and the commercial boat,passed by me on his way home and saw me pulling out flags and after it became his spot since they have been fishing there ever since.that's how it works, now ill fish that spot again when they are gone.I have spots from Haulover to the 7 mile bridge in every reef and i don't fish 25 % in of them in one year.End of story.so Go fishing Tight Lines
  • WetFeetWetFeet Posts: 57 Deckhand
    Benny did I hit a soft spot because you had not chinned in till I posted this info, sorry if I said something that is true the question you should ask yourself is how did I know this info. and no one else here even mentioned any of it, it is also funny how you answerd everything I mentioned if it were not true.
    The fact of the mater is that you yourself say in your answer that all the spots were given to you, so really what have you done on your own to find any productive bottom cause you sure did not put in the time looking for them, hell anybody with a little ability to fish you give them the little book you say was given to you, can also become a "Reef Consultant" give me a break you well know that what I said here is the truth.
    I am sure that in your little brain you must be saying who is this guy and what else does he know that will expose me to be a liar and a back stabber to my own family and friends.
    Maybe you might want to tell all your fans here about the day you got caught with your handheld GPS marking #s while fishing on the Marathon Lady so that you can go back and do your consulting gig when you down to Marathon, that was pretty embarising ha.
  • farincofarinco Posts: 223 Officer
    WetFeet wrote: »
    Benny did I hit a soft spot because you had not chinned in till I posted this info, sorry if I said something that is true the question you should ask yourself is how did I know this info. and no one else here even mentioned any of it, it is also funny how you answerd everything I mentioned if it were not true.
    The fact of the mater is that you yourself say in your answer that all the spots were given to you, so really what have you done on your own to find any productive bottom cause you sure did not put in the time looking for them, hell anybody with a little ability to fish you give them the little book you say was given to you, can also become a "Reef Consultant" give me a break you well know that what I said here is the truth.
    I am sure that in your little brain you must be saying who is this guy and what else does he know that will expose me to be a liar and a back stabber to my own family and friends.
    Maybe you might want to tell all your fans here about the day you got caught with your handheld GPS marking #s while fishing on the Marathon Lady so that you can go back and do your consulting gig when you down to Marathon, that was pretty embarising ha.

    Shut. Up.
  • Indian River JoelIndian River Joel Posts: 362 Officer
    WetFeet wrote: »
    Benny I am getting new gear for yellowtail fishing and bottom fishing, so I would like to know what you would recomend as far as reels and rods for these applications, If anyone would know it would be you since you do this almost everyday, I will be on a budget but would like to get your input on some gear that is going to last and will produce, thank you in advance.


    Sounds like you look up to Benny, too......

    If he is going on their boat as a “consultant”. Providing just his knowledge of boating and fishing he does not fall under the definition of a charter, if fishing in Federal Waters. Meaning he is not required to have a Federal charter/headboat permit.

    However, if he is doing this and someone else pays to go along on the boat then he would be considered a charter.

    For example; Fisherman #1 hires him as a “consultant” on his boat and Fisherman #2 pays to go along fishing, then it would be considered a charter.

    *THIS IS ONLY FOR FEDERAL WATERS.

    I hope that helps and is not to confusing.

    Just leave the guy alone, What he is doing isn't illegal. Don't you have other things to worry about?



    EDIT:
    WetFeet wrote: »
    Farinco if you would catch alot of fish before I think after this the reports are going to be awsome, did you guys take any pictures of the catch.

    Here is another post of you telling Farinco how much better his fishing would be after going out with Benny
    "Indian River" Joel
    www.wadefishingflorida.com
    321-402-9881
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,666 Captain
    If he is going on their boat as a “consultant”. Providing just his knowledge of boating and fishing he does not fall under the definition of a charter, if fishing in Federal Waters. Meaning he is not required to have a Federal charter/headboat permit.

    However, if he is doing this and someone else pays to go along on the boat then he would be considered a charter.

    For example; Fisherman #1 hires him as a “consultant” on his boat and Fisherman #2 pays to go along fishing, then it would be considered a charter.

    *THIS IS ONLY FOR FEDERAL WATERS.

    I hope that helps and is not to confusing.

    Isn't this then the definitive legal answer to the question of whether Benny is violating the law?


  • Lone DrifterLone Drifter Posts: 639 Officer
    Rob ! I have a question that I would like your opinion on, since you are a Charter Boat Captain and I hold your expertise in high regard. When Benny does his Reef Consultant gigs are any USCG or FWC regulations being violated when hiring a reef fishing consultant on a fishermans private boat and said consultant does not captain, navigate and only instructs on fishing techniques ? :USA
    *Originally Posted by NOAA-Enforcement *
    If he is going on their boat as a “consultant”. Providing just his knowledge of boating and fishing he does not fall under the definition of a charter, if fishing in Federal Waters. Meaning he is not required to have a Federal charter/headboat permit.

    However, if he is doing this and someone else pays to go along on the boat then he would be considered a charter.
    For example; Fisherman #1 hires him as a “consultant” on his boat and Fisherman #2 pays to go along fishing, then it would be considered a charter.
    *THIS IS ONLY FOR FEDERAL WATERS.

    I hope that helps and is not to confusing.




    After getting sent to band camp for disagreeing with a few members I would hope so ! :B
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EdBEdB Posts: 60 Greenhorn
    WetFeet wrote: »
    Benny did I hit a soft spot because you had not chinned in till I posted this info (insert question mark and remove comma ) ,(capital S) sorry if I said something that is true (insert period, Capital T) the question you should ask yourself is how did I know this info.(remove period, insert question mark, remove and, capitalize "no") and no one else here even mentioned any of it, it is also funny how you answerd everything I mentioned if it were not true.
    The fact of the mater is that you yourself say (said) in your answer that all the spots were given to you, so really what have you done on your own to find any productive bottom (be)cause you sure did not put in the time looking for them, (remove comma, add period and capitalize "hell") hell anybody with a little ability to fish you give them the little book you say was given to you, can also become a "Reef Consultant" (insert period and capitalize "give") give me a break (insert comma) you well know that what I said here is the truth.
    I am sure that in your little brain you must be saying who is this guy and what else does he know that will expose me to be a liar and a back stabber to my own family and friends.
    Maybe you might want to tell all your fans here about the day you got caught with your handheld GPS marking #s while fishing on the Marathon Lady so that you can go back and do your consulting gig when you down to Marathon, that was pretty embarising ha.

    Dude, what is truly "embarising" is how ignorant you come off. If you have such a hard on for Benny, call the cops, FMP or whatever agency you want and report this guy.
    You sound like a hater and jealous that Benny is so successful. What is your beef with this guy? Did he steal YOUR numbers or are you just a keyboard commando? Give it up hater
    and sign up for 4th grade english class again - you obviously failed the first time around.
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,666 Captain
    EdB wrote: »
    Dude, what is truly "embarising" is how ignorant you come off. If you have such a hard on for Benny, call the cops, FMP or whatever agency you want and report this guy.
    You sound like a hater and jealous that Benny is so successful. What is your beef with this guy? Did he steal YOUR numbers or are you just a keyboard commando? Give it up hater
    and sign up for 4th grade english class again - you obviously failed the first time around.

    you missed a few opportunities to correct his writing, but the point is very well taken. his argument is as poor as his writing.

    all they guys have a beef with Benny on the basis that he is doing something illegal. Given NOAA-ENFORCEMENT's answer above, it seems the work is legitimate.

    And since when does a "spot" belong to a human being? doesn't it belong to mother nature?


  • darnit guys, focus on the fiheries managment whackos not your neighbor!
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    So, if 4 guys each pony up $200 and one guy gives the consultant $800, it's semi-legal because he was paid by guy #!?
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • cpr wrote: »
    So, if 4 guys each pony up $200 and one guy gives the consultant $800, it's semi-legal because he was paid by guy #!?

    i think the boat owner has to pay the consultant, similar to a charter used to be defined including sharing expenses, not any more, sharing expenses is not a charter as it once was, if that makes any sence....
  • copout@castaways[email protected] Posts: 5,779 Admiral
    I can pee farther than anyone here!
  • Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,352 Officer
    Many many moons ago I could pee farther and up, now days I have to get closer to the john, gravity seems to be stronger now than it was back then.
  • Kids Ate My BaitKids Ate My Bait Posts: 1,038 Officer
    I can pee farther than anyone here!

    :rotflmao
    Don't blink - they grow up fast

    e0855416-db02-4210-a35f-fb932b7f1510_zpsizxn0kmf.jpg
  • SLW210SLW210 Posts: 2,226 Captain
    I can pee farther than anyone here!

    Anyone where? There not here.
  • copout@castaways[email protected] Posts: 5,779 Admiral
    SLW210 wrote: »
    Anyone where? There not here.

    than you! you're here, no?
  • krimikrimi Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    cpr wrote: »
    So, if 4 guys each pony up $200 and one guy gives the consultant $800, it's semi-legal because he was paid by guy #!?
    Ok, I think I got this figured out...but its going to require off shore accounts, and someone will have to change his identity...First, synchronize watches
  • piscatorpiscator Posts: 12 Greenhorn
  • Benny its a wounderful catching .ARE you tell us how can we got a licensed for boat captain ?
  • Crab BaitCrab Bait Posts: 272 Deckhand
    Benny its a wounderful catching .ARE you tell us how can we got a licensed for boat captain ?

    ^^^ Good grief man! You seem like an existing customer now worried about credentials?
  • Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,352 Officer
    Crab Bait wrote: »
    Benny its a wounderful catching .ARE you tell us how can we got a licensed for boat captain ?

    ^^^ Good grief man! You seem like an existing customer now worried about credentials?

    I dont know what he is trying to say. It may be Lowe Blow Boy trying to get around band camp with bad engalish. Just joined and this is the first post?
  • yak_angleryak_angler Posts: 2,585 Captain
    Roc N Rol wrote: »
    I dont know what he is trying to say. It may be Lowe Blow Boy trying to get around band camp with bad engalish. Just joined and this is the first post?

    Spam bot
    5607_aa5e_zps24435aae.gif
  • Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,352 Officer
    yak_angler wrote: »
    Spam bot[/QUOTE

    I had to goolge that, i did not know what a smam bot was
Sign In or Register to comment.