Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Stuart - Palm City recommendations: Restaurants, stores, and an electrician

Moving on up next week. Need an electrician in the area. Prefer a forum member but will use any good and reasonable leads.
Also, any restaurants to patronize? Any to steer clear of? Any cool local markets/hardware stores/bait shops?

Thanks!

Replies

• Go MongoGo Mongo Posts: 2,112 Captain
    Patronize..

Our favorite places in order...

1. Black Marlin, Downtown;
    I like their hog fish and fried soft shell crab app.
    Good scotch as well.
    Go for dinner occasionally, but more often a place to meet for a drink and to hang with friends.

2. Riverwalk, next door to BM;
    Great oysters from different regions.
    Beer and wine

3. Gusto
    By far our favorite resturant in Stuart for dinner. Also downtown.
    Italian, small menu, great service. Family owned.
    Beer and wine.
    They also provide a complementery homemade limoncello after each meal.

4. Carmellas (cool little place with good wines)

5. Carsons
    Good food, live music, good crowd, not stuffy, but higher scale than most bars with live music. Can be a younger crowd.

6. Clorettas (SP).
    In Palm City, across from Walgreens. Expensive Italian.
    I was told Wayne Huizenga paid to bring the family here from Italy and open their restraunt so it could be near his place when he lived here (now the Floridian). Just what I heard. Food is very good, but again, expensive. A "special occasion" place.

If by boat....

All the downtown restruants are easily accessable. We have municiple docks that go right up to the steps of Riverwalk.

Also, Sailors Return. A newer place that has alot of dockage right at the intersection of the north and south fork of the St. Lucie River.
    Live music, great place for evening boat rides and cocktails, etc.
    Food is OK in my opinion but not great. More for an after dinner hangout.
    The live music is generally great.

I heard great things about 11 Maple but have not been.

As far as places to stay away from, I wont name places, but I will say I tend not to go to the larger chain establishments.
    Not because they are so bad, but because the local spots are so good and unique compared to alot of S FL.

Baitshops...
    Billy Bones bait shop in Stuart is the best for those of us in Palm City. Live shrimp, etc.. good old fashion baitshop that stays active in the community.

Shoot me a PM for more details.
    “Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea
  • ontheedge5658ontheedge5658 Posts: 2,668 Captain
    Check with Eric Plane Fish'N
  • chick-a-deechick-a-dee Posts: 1,452 Officer
    Tell Linda this is what I was talking to her about on Sunday:

Stuart
    Ian's Tropical Grill
    Chef's Table
    Riverwalk Cafe
    Carmela's Wine Bar & Brick Oven Pizza
    Lola's
    Crush Wine Bar (limited food, but lots of wines)
    11 Maple Street (very eclectic menu, lots of game that you don't normally see on other menus)
    Sailor's Return (on the water)

Palm City
    Vine & Barley (not as many wines as Crush; never had the food there, and the menu's small)

Port Salerno
    Shrimper's Bar & Grill (right on the water)
    King Neptune (haven't been, but have heard lots of positive comments)
    Manatee Bar & Grill (right on the water; good happy hour deals)
    Taco Truck (yes, it's a food truck - be sure to go to the red one)

Port St. Lucie
    Cornerstone Bistro
    Bonefish Mac's (same plaza as Cornerstone Bistro)

Fort Pierce
    Tiki Bar (typical bar-type food, right on the water and at the city marina, so you can take a boat there)

There are others on the water in the Stuart area that we've been to both with & without the boat, but I didn't really love the food or atmosphere a ton. Wahoo's and Dolphin Bar come to mind. Wahoo's is under new ownership, so maybe it's different/better now. There's also a new restaurant (called The Reef) that's right near Shrimper's in Manatee Pocket. It's where Finz used to be. Heard from someone that it was not good at all; maybe they haven't worked the kinks out yet.
  • reef raidareef raida Posts: 244 Deckhand
    Clarettas has moved to the publix plaza on Mapp road. Dining by boat in Martin County is nothing special, food and locations are so so, but for live music and drinks there are alot of choices. Vine and Barley is a good place to start or end the evening if you like craft beers and wine. We also like to go to Capps on the island, small place with good food. Had releatives go to The Reef last weekend and everything was bad except for the free drinks, suppose to be changing their menu already, hope it works its a good location. Oh, and 2 thumbs up on the red truck.
  • LastMangoLastMango Posts: 4,574 Officer
    Boy, Go Mongo nailed it on Sailors Return... I was very excited about it opening (I think I still lived in Stuart then) And me being a guy that did nearly a two year trip on a sailboat in 2000-2001, I really related to the setting, and restaurants open-air style, but the food just never had any wow factor to it... So, for us, it was an app or drink place, maybe a sandwich... I kept waiting for them to change the menu... They do a good crowd though, so one can't knock to too hard... A lot of Brits/English in the winter... Nice staff, etc too, the menu just doesn't do it for us...

Honestly, still one of my favorite places anywhere, is King Neptune's... Technially, Port Salerno. There Seafood Bisque is one of the best I've ever had... And their Black Jack Mahi Sandwich on Bimini Bread is so sweet... Mix that with a Kalik and I'm a very happy guy... Top it off with their WARM Pineapple Upside Down Cake Ala-mode...

http://www.kingneptune-portsalerno.com/location.htm

I cook a lot of Thai food, and Seven Orchids (their website is down - www.7orchids.com - but I just called them and they are still open, just having a new website built) has some truly amazing dishes. Not a cheap place at all, but some really exotic Thai food with a few twist from France, truly some amazing dishes, truly...

Seven Orchids
    2621 Southeast Ocean Boulevard
    Stuart, FL 34996
    (772) 781-7717
    Yes, 11 Maple in Jensen, really great.... forgot about that one..
  • BeermanBeerman Posts: 696 Officer
    Mitch call me, you buy the Drinks we roll out!! :rotflmao

PS Whites Tackle opens up on Monday!! If its like the FTP store it should be sweet!!
    Words of Wisdom: Many a problem will solve itself, if we forget it and go fishing or hunting!!

image.php?u=77&type=sigpic&dateline=1307501811
    Beerman wrote: »

PS Whites Tackle opens up on Monday!! If its like there FTP store it should be sweet!!

Whites is a classy place....
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    For those who don't know,

White's is opening in the shopping plaza right across from WalMart in Stuart.

It is looking really impressive. Looked in the window today and it looks very classy.

WhitesTackle_zps28d846d4.jpg

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • captinmitchcaptinmitch Posts: 5,807 Admiral

PS Whites Tackle opens up on Monday!! If its like the FTP store it should be sweet!!
    I buy? Dude, I just bought a house. I'm so broke I can't even afford to pay attention. :grin
  • fishknutfishknut Posts: 3,928 Captain
    For good but inexpensive Italian try Annas, its on the east side of the PC Bridge west of Kanner on the north side. Very good, you can eat for days off of one meal. Also Olympia Diner in PC is very good. When is the house warming?
    Fail to plan, plan to fail.......
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,392 Captain
    I know a place where you can score a couple HUGE sheepshead. Word is the chef isn't bad there either. :)
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
    Moving on up next week.

Funny, this isn't how I normally picture you & Linda! :)
  • avmechavmech Jupiter, FLPosts: 1,373 Officer
    King Neptune's, definitely!!!

Going to have to check out White's, hear nothing but good things about them.

Oh and CAD, that is Mitch when he was younger, you know before the dinosaurs.......................I know cause I was there
    Member #10822
  • Go MongoGo Mongo Posts: 2,112 Captain
    Mitch,
    On Thursday nights the wives let us out for "book club".
    There are no books. We just get out for a couple hours in the Palm City/Stuart area.
    We have been at it for a couple years now.

PM me when you are settled in and come out with us. I'll introduce you to a few of the locals.
    “Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea
  • project1project1 Posts: 347 Deckhand
    Im an electrician and a stuart local! My fav restaurants are king neptune, dolphin bar, conchy joes, craw daddoes ( always good ). Good bait shop by me (im near jensen) is snook nook. Good guys and decent prices and normally are the last place to have shrimp when all other places are out of them.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
  • oldtimeroldtimer Posts: 529 Officer
    Bangkok Bay - Stuart - for good reasonably priced Thai

Conchy Joes - Jensen Beach - happy hour for Oysters if you like them - lowest price you will find for good quality

Crawdaddys - Jensen Beach - great Clam Chowder

Duffys - downtown stuart - 2-4 pm 40 % off menu prices with free MVP card - very good burgers

Latin Fusion - Stuart - Tapas ( Spanish small plates ) - very good paella

Juno Beach

Juno Beach Fish house - lobster specials on Tuesday / Friday nights - very reasonable early bird specials
  • GRSCGRSC Posts: 942 Officer
    I love me some King Neptunes in the pocket
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    GRSC wrote: »
    I love me some King Neptunes in the pocket

Hey, we gotta do Sail Inn one last time. What's your schedule?
  • GRSCGRSC Posts: 942 Officer

Swamped with regulatory deadlines until Monday - then wide open and Jack's are on me!! And it most certainly won't be your last time.. :beer
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sea-chasersea-chaser Posts: 377 Deckhand
    Mitch,

I read your steak thread . . . I quit buying steaks from Omaha and Allen Bros. I buy them locally from the Butcher Shoppe. Bob has some of the best steaks in the area. He has dry aged and wagyu steaks available but bring your wallet. He ain't cheap. He also has grade choice beef in any cut you want trimmed the way you want. His tri-tip roasts are one of my favorites.

Butcher Shoppe Etc
    802 SW Federal Hwy, Stuart, FL
    Downtown Publix Shopping Center
    (772) 220-0439 ‎

I am not ready yet but we are going to build or buy a home on the water in Martin County when I give up my gig with the kids at Goodwill next year. I am planning to have David Gates as my realtor. When we move into the new home, I plan on having Mr. G from Voice on Demand Music and you (if you are still in the business) cater the move in party. Definitely, tri-tips will be one of the main items on the menu.

Welcome to the land of less taxes and traffic. You are going to love it. I hated to move from Jupiter Farms up here. I used to regret that decision. Not any more.
    ARRL KB6CX

Joined FS forum 10/2001
    Member 1700
  • Bite 1Bite 1 Posts: 489 Deckhand
    Neptunes in salerno by far, always local seafood caught fresh.Swordfish ,Tile fish, cobia, grouper. snapper all in season of course. Small place but worth it. Get there early or take out. By the way that sun gets hot through that window in the afternoon.
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,822 Admin

After the Non-meeting on Thursday?

Mitch, the avmechs and GRSC brought me to King Neptune after the last N-M.
    Best cracked conch I've had on this side of the pond!
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
    nuevowavo wrote: »
    After the Non-meeting on Thursday?
    Sure. Small gig on this Monday. Close on this place Wednesday, new place Friday (Good Lord willing and the crick don't rise). Then do a party in Boca on Saturday for 115. Then a little party in Ocean Ridge on Monday. That one is only 60-70. :grin

In all seriousness, Linda and I want to thank all of you for your suggestions, support and help. It means a lot to us. We look forward to meeting our new neighbors up that way. I promise the house warming party will be epic.
  • BeermanBeerman Posts: 696 Officer
    It means a lot to us. We look forward to meeting our new neighbors up that way. I promise the house warming party will be epic.

Get out of here, go back south :rotflmao
    Words of Wisdom: Many a problem will solve itself, if we forget it and go fishing or hunting!!

image.php?u=77&type=sigpic&dateline=1307501811
    Get out of here, go back south :rotflmao
    Hush up sonny... I'll call your Dad. He'll make you wax the golf cart. :grin
  • Lazy BonesLazy Bones Posts: 941 Officer
    nuevowavo wrote: »

Mitch, the avmechs and GRSC brought me to King Neptune after the last N-M.
    Best cracked conch I've had on this side of the pond!

Yup.

The restaurant recs have been good. 11 maple is my favorite. Chef's table is not far behind.
    sea-chaser wrote: »
    Mitch,

I read your steak thread . . . I quit buying steaks from Omaha and Allen Bros. I buy them locally from the Butcher Shoppe. Bob has some of the best steaks in the area. He has dry aged and wagyu steaks available but bring your wallet. He ain't cheap. He also has grade choice beef in any cut you want trimmed the way you want. His tri-tip roasts are one of my favorites.

Butcher Shoppe Etc
    802 SW Federal Hwy, Stuart, FL
    Downtown Publix Shopping Center
    (772) 220-0439 ‎

I am not ready yet but we are going to build or buy a home on the water in Martin County when I give up my gig with the kids at Goodwill next year. I am planning to have David Gates as my realtor. When we move into the new home, I plan on having Mr. G from Voice on Demand Music and you (if you are still in the business) cater the move in party. Definitely, tri-tips will be one of the main items on the menu.

Welcome to the land of less taxes and traffic. You are going to love it. I hated to move from Jupiter Farms up here. I used to regret that decision. Not any more.

When I lived in Stuart, the Butcher Shoppe was the only place I would go... Hard to find a place like that......
    FIFY
    Sure. Small gig on this Monday. Close on this place Wednesday, new place Friday (Good Lord willing and the crick don't rise). Then go to Stuart the next morning to cheer Chick-a-dee on in her first 10k and after that, do a party in Boca on Saturday for 115.