Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Feeding The Hungry

Forum Member Barrell posted about the Soup Kitchen in Ft. Pierce could use some of our fish from all of us...

We caught a 30lb Amberjack yesterday, for the first time kept one... I called Roy (the cook) and spoke to him. Basically, one fish isn't enough, they feed 300 to 500 people every Friday night. So, in order to make a "meal plan" they need about 100-150lbs of "protein" and it's an inefficient long drive for both parties for one fish.

So, we're going start keeping our Amerjack bi-catches, cleaning them, and vacuum freezing them until we get 100 to 150lbs, which should be about a month, or heck, we're talking about just taking one day a month and hitting Sea Myst with Jigs, that will always fill a cooler with Amberjacks (I take friends there sometimes just to give them a big tug and we all laugh)

Net - Net.... Save fish until you get 100-150lbs and call Roy and he'll come get them, or meet you at a good midway point... Super nice guy and we look fwd to helping these Samaritans....

Updated contact info:

Soup kitchen Manager- Kelly O’Brien (a woman) 239-565-6245
Cook - Roy 772-828-7358 (will come pick them up)

Sarah’s kitchen of Notre Dame
217 Highway 1
Fort Pierce, FL 34950

Roy’s eMail - [email protected]

Every Friday - 300 to 500 people are being fed
A lot of chowders

Replies

• avmechavmech Jupiter, FLPosts: 1,373 Officer
    Great idea!!
    Member #10822
  • LastMangoLastMango Posts: 4,574 Officer
    avmech wrote: »
    Great idea!!

Vacuum froze about 20lbs tonight...
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,259 Officer
    I just spoke with Kelly and she said that she has been getting calls at work and cant be there to get the fish imediatly so she is putting together a list of people starting with Roy who will be avaliable on short notice to recieve the donations. I will post when she gets back to me but call Roy for now if you have anything. Thanx for getting involved. They also have a homless house where people can come and get a shower and sleep safely indoors. They collect old bycycles and fix them up there so the people can have a form of transportation. So if you have any old bikes broken or not they will take them.
  • ShoelessShoeless Posts: 2,110 Captain
    What a great way to give back to the community. I'll start my part if I get any to the boat.

Especially when you take an out of towner out and hook them up on a fat donkey. I love watching them fight these AJs!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LastMangoLastMango Posts: 4,574 Officer
    Shoeless wrote: »
    What a great way to give back to the community. I'll start my part if I get any to the boat.

Especially when you take an out of towner out and hook them up on a fat donkey. I love watching them fight these AJs!!!!!

Same here, then, they see Skipper, who weighs 110lbs bring one up, they're really pissed... We all end up laughing so hard, usually a photo op, and back in... But, we're going keep, filet and vacuum freeze... Won't take long to get 150lbs ready for the road trip to Ft. Pierce... I sense a beer at Archie's in our future...