Home Off Topic

A rant - Jennifer the most controversial and disappointed artist in Florida

WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
Jennifer put in about 20 hours doing the piece below for the Lake Worth Street Painting Festival. Apparently, she chose controversial art. There was a radical group milling around ALL WEEKEND, heckling Jennifer telling her how terrible it was that she was doing a piece of art glorifying Ponce and "why is the Seminole woman smiling. There statements were very mean-spirited.

After she completed the art, and finally walking away Sunday afternoon they defaced her art with "a fake blood like substance." They didn't have the guts to do it while she was there. I am guessing they had someone lurking around waiting for her to leave.

The PBCSO was aware all weekend and did nothing to knockdown the disturbance or stop it before it started. Frankly, I am as pizzed, if not more pizzed about the PBCSO's lack of attentiveness than the art getting defaced. That the PBCSO told me was unbelievable!

I guess in the end Jennifer's art did what it was meant to do, and create an emotion in the viewer. I am only posing here in the hope one or more of the cowards lurks here.

Below are two of Jennifer's retorts on threads via Facebook. The photo is from before the art was defaced. What is ironic and sad is that we have eyewitnesses stating that one of the persons who defaced the art was dressed and Ponce, C.S., low-life scum!

What is truly sad is that the selfish acts of a few ruined the art of the others to enjoy and photograph.

Jennifer's Text 1:

To the group that defaced my art on Sunday at the Lake Worth Street Painting Festival: I hope you can all sleep at night. Your stupid stunt of throwing fake blood all over my art was childish and disgusting. You have no regard for the great amount of time and effort that went into creating this piece of art by me, and the original artist, Christopher Still. All you cared about was making some statement, which I won't acknowledge here. Your heckling was annoying, but the vandalism was breaking the law. And the fact that you waited for me to leave my art for a break and pull your stunt, is evidence of your cowardice. If you had done that while I was standing there, I would have protected my art like a mother bear, with all my might.

Jennifer's Text 2:

We did get photos, but it was ruined for a lot of people who were still coming by to take their photos. I thought it was very cowardly for them to wait for me to walk away for a few minutes. They didn't have the balls to try it while I was there. I never left the art to even pee, I was working so hard to get it done in time.

JxZECJAl.jpg

Replies

• I would have never suspected that this beautiful art would be controversial.

Your wife is an amazing artist and very creative.
  • Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 11,444 AG
    Not cool. Sorry that nut jobbers caused you and yours pain and stress.

Btw, they say in art the hands are the hardest part, your gal has real talent.
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    I would have never suspected that this beautiful art would be controversial.

Your wife is an amazing artist and very creative.

What "their" argument was is that Ponce was a conquistador who made genocide happen and that the Seminoles are not happy with the art, which was commissioned and paid for by the State of Florida.
  • Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 11,444 AG
    What "their" argument was is that Ponce was a conquistador who made genocide happen and that the Seminoles are not happy with the art, which was commissioned and paid for by the State of Florida.

There is no denying that the indigenous people of Florida got screwed, but, that's no excuse for taking out on an artist 400 years later.

Did she know beforehand it may be controversial to some?
  • Sad, truly sad.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • PolarPolar Lake WorthPosts: 22,432 AG
    dam hippies, they everywhere.
  • I guess they didn't like that Ponce got here before the Seminoles.:shrug
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • rrbgttrrbgtt Posts: 6,758 Admiral

Such a shame. As usual, her work is beyond words.

Did even one "Seminole" actually participated in the heckling or defacing?
    From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned bobcat!
    I guess they didn't like that Ponce got here before the Seminoles.:shrug

Not being from here I didn't get FL history in school and had to look up that factoid. Saturday night after being told that several times.
    There is no denying that the indigenous people of Florida got screwed, but, that's no excuse for taking out on an artist 400 years later.

Did she know beforehand it may be controversial to some?

NO she didn't know beforehand. The radical group claimed it has been in the news for months, none of which Jennifer knew about when she asked and received sign offs from the state and the original artist.
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG

They don't care about facts. If they were truly good quality protestors they wouldn't have waited.. I don't like cowards as much as you don't like "bigots". If you are going to protest at least have the balls to do it in front of the target.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • lawaiaalawaiaa Posts: 1,266 Officer
    Too bad. The art is beautiful.
  • StillinscrubsStillinscrubs Posts: 1,844 Officer

Quit bringing facts into this post. The Indians were as bad or worse to each other. Heck they taught the Europeans several good torture and mutilation techniques. It's just popular to take the side of the loser these days.

Calusa were you or psychoist there?
  • FluffyFluffy Posts: 1,762 Captain
    What a bunch of freakin aholes...

Can you give us more info on the group that did this?

Beautiful work btw...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 4,191 Captain
    Spaniards loved impregnating injuns. No love lost there
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends President Trump
  • What a bunch of freakin aholes...

Can you give us more info on the group that did this?

Beautiful work btw...

Yes, do tell, what "group" was it?
    Inquiring (and sometimes corrupt) minds want to know.:devil
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
    Yes, do tell, what "group" was it?
    Inquiring (and sometimes corrupt) minds want to know.:devil

Not to indite anyone on a public forum, but we were told by eyewitnesses they claimed to be the "Anarchist" branch of Earth First. The handed out papers with a statement of their position, but of course no mane or group claiming the incident on the paper. I have it at home and will post it later after getting it scanned.

Also, we would actually know who did it if the PBCSO would do their job.
  • FishshrimpsnorkelFishshrimpsnorkel Posts: 1,396 Officer
    The vandals are uneducated, uncultured, ignorant fools that think their acts will change history. They are wrong. The history of Florida, as unjust as some aspects were, is what it is. Jennifer's choice of subject merely depicts 2 major forces in our developement and does not show either one as more important than the other.

It's the same mentality shown when protesters destroy businesses and torch cars, thinking somehow that will right a wrong. Discusting.
    I applaud Jennifer for her talent and efforts, as well as choice of original subject. Glad that you at least have pictures of her creation before the stupids defaced it.
  • Old FloridaOld Florida Posts: 176 Officer
    Like Ponce, they felt they had "discovered" the painting and were now claiming ownership of it.
  • FluffyFluffy Posts: 1,762 Captain
    Can't believe no one has asked this yet, but was treetop there? He is one of the more aggravating Seminole lovers out there... :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Triple Threat 33TTriple Threat 33T Port CanaveralPosts: 18,669 Admin
    Jennifer put in about 20 hours doing the piece below for the Lake Worth Street Painting Festival. Apparently, she chose controversial art. There was a radical group milling around ALL WEEKEND, heckling Jennifer telling her how terrible it was that she was doing a piece of art glorifying Ponce and "why is the Seminole woman smiling. There statements were very mean-spirited.

After she completed the art, and finally walking away Sunday afternoon they defaced her art with "a fake blood like substance." They didn't have the guts to do it while she was there. I am guessing they had someone lurking around waiting for her to leave.

The PBCSO was aware all weekend and did nothing to knockdown the disturbance or stop it before it started. Frankly, I am as pizzed, if not more pizzed about the PBCSO's lack of attentiveness than the art getting defaced. That the PBCSO told me was unbelievable!

I guess in the end Jennifer's art did what it was meant to do, and create an emotion in the viewer. I am only posing here in the hope one or more of the cowards lurks here.

Below are two of Jennifer's retorts on threads via Facebook. The photo is from before the art was defaced. What is ironic and sad is that we have eyewitnesses stating that one of the persons who defaced the art was dressed and Ponce, C.S., low-life scum!

What is truly sad is that the selfish acts of a few ruined the art of the others to enjoy and photograph.

Jennifer's Text 1:

To the group that defaced my art on Sunday at the Lake Worth Street Painting Festival: I hope you can all sleep at night. Your stupid stunt of throwing fake blood all over my art was childish and disgusting. You have no regard for the great amount of time and effort that went into creating this piece of art by me, and the original artist, Christopher Still. All you cared about was making some statement, which I won't acknowledge here. Your heckling was annoying, but the vandalism was breaking the law. And the fact that you waited for me to leave my art for a break and pull your stunt, is evidence of your cowardice. If you had done that while I was standing there, I would have protected my art like a mother bear, with all my might.

Jennifer's Text 2:

We did get photos, but it was ruined for a lot of people who were still coming by to take their photos. I thought it was very cowardly for them to wait for me to walk away for a few minutes. They didn't have the balls to try it while I was there. I never left the art to even pee, I was working so hard to get it done in time.

JxZECJAl.jpg

Sad.

Shes extremely talented and creates some absolutely amazing artwork.

It's a shame that she has to deal with that kind of crap but there are some messed up people on this planet, unfortunately.
    "Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."
  • smallboatsmallboat Posts: 1,589 Captain
    She needs to stop commenting publicly on it. She is just feeding the fire and giving them the attention that they crave.
    It sucks. She is an amazing artist. But don't feed the trolls.
  • lawaiaalawaiaa Posts: 1,266 Officer
    smallboat wrote: »
    She needs to stop commenting publicly on it. She is just feeding the fire and giving them the attention that they crave.
    It sucks. She is an amazing artist. But don't feed the trolls.

..... good post
  • frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
    cowards indeed
  • CalusaCalusa Posts: 11,881 Officer
    Suck it up, feel proud that you and Jennifer are better people than them, and move on.

Typically outstanding work by Jennifer, WA. My wife and daughters really like her work too. :beer
  • ChuckDChuckD Posts: 1,474 Officer
    The rest of her work in her blog is pretty extraordinary. Congrats, and these a-holes are bound to work at Spencers or a tatoo parlor their entire lives, F them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • springnutsspringnuts Posts: 1,354 Officer
    She is a true talent! You must be so proud! Sick of the PC shiznit....
  • SwampratSwamprat Posts: 1,058 Officer
    Idiots......hope they get AIDS from their next tatoo
    Jackson Cuda 12

A wade fisherman is the most simplistic but the most adept for the quarry they are after. They are immersed in their challenger's habitat and are in tune with the subtle changes of current, temperature and bottom. In order to be successful at this noble and primal fishing form one must be submerged from their goobs to their boobs, anyone doing this outside of that boundary is either sunbathing or swimming. S.F. Stewart 2015