Tarpon fishing help

Do you guys prefer to drift or anchor channel 2 and 5 ?

I have a tower which makes fighting under the bridge a bit difficult.......

Any tactics appreciated ......

:USA
Gause Built 26

Replies

• 91tiger91tiger Posts: 536 Officer
    Drift if you are using crabs. Anchor or drift if you are fishing mullet. With crabs you can drift way out in the bay away from the main part of the channel and hook plenty of fish. That will give you a good chance of landing the fish before it gets to the bridges. The biggest problem drifting out there is many times they will make a bee line straight for the coffins and break you off.
  • Piratelooksat40Piratelooksat40 Posts: 92 Deckhand
    91tiger wrote: »
    Drift if you are using crabs. Anchor or drift if you are fishing mullet. With crabs you can drift way out in the bay away from the main part of the channel and hook plenty of fish. That will give you a good chance of landing the fish before it gets to the bridges. The biggest problem drifting out there is many times they will make a bee line straight for the coffins and break you off.

If you have to anchor, go over to Channel 5. There are some spots by the main channel that you can anchor up and get under Channel 5. If you are going to drift Channel 2 start out by the big cement pilings, that will keep you far enough to keep you away from Channel 2. That being said, I have lost a number of fish that I hooked up out there and they went straight for the bridge. You can try to tighten the drag and steer them, but that rarely works.
  • gtpvettegtpvette Posts: 181 Officer
    The first couple of times I went with a buddy I grew up with who was also a guide, we'd fish there. We'd fish early morning (read that as dark 3-4am) incomming tide. We'd had live crabs or pin fish under a cork with a 6' leader. Start the drift close to the bridge and drift in with the tide. Best night we had 10 hits,,, 3 100+ lb fish to the boat. Lots of fun!
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________

Fred

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • triplenettriplenet Posts: 747 Officer
    Thanks guys...... I have spent the last 25 years trolling and live baiting so this inshore thing is gonna be new to me.......

As always much appreciated and see you out there.....
    Gause Built 26