Big Torch Key Flats?

I am renting a house for the last week of May on Big Torch Key. I have never been to the keys. Would like to focus on DIY flats fishing for bonefish. Will probably rent a sea kyak for the week. Does anyone know if there are accessible flats adjacent or a short kayak paddle away? On google earth it looks like there are, although I am not 100% sure I know what flats look like on google earth! :-) At anyrate, if anyone knows this area and can give me any suggestions I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any info!

Replies

• 3bone3bone Posts: 79 Deckhand
    chuckp wrote: »
    I am renting a house for the last week of May on Big Torch Key. I have never been to the keys. Would like to focus on DIY flats fishing for bonefish. Will probably rent a sea kyak for the week. Does anyone know if there are accessible flats adjacent or a short kayak paddle away? On google earth it looks like there are, although I am not 100% sure I know what flats look like on google earth! :-) At anyrate, if anyone knows this area and can give me any suggestions I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any info!

It should be a great time for fishing as Tarpon season nears peaking and bonefish season is well underway. If you are a Do It Yourself flats fishing person, www.threebone.com explains How, Where, When, to roadside wade the flats for bonefish from Islamorada to Key West. Fishing reports, Flats Fishing Blog, Humor Blog, Flats fishing photos, and basically more Flats fishing bonefish information than you will find on most fishing sites. It is written with Fly fishing in mind; but bait fishermen would use the resource as well. Enjoy your vacation.

http://www.threebone.com
    [email protected]
  • NauticalWheelerNauticalWheeler Posts: 442 Deckhand
    In Google Earth light brown or cream is going to be your 0-2 ft depths depending on tide. Look for prop scars if in doubt. Dark brown is maybe a foot deeper. Greenish brown or green is 3-4.

It is difficult to see bonefish - there are other critters on the flats that stick fins out of the water too. I haven't targeted them but if I did I believe my odds would be around 5% on a given day...and I've been fishing a lot of channels right next to bonefish flats. I might have seen 2 or 3 on the channel edges in quite a few days on the water.
  • chuckpchuckp Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    In Google Earth light brown or cream is going to be your 0-2 ft depths depending on tide. Look for prop scars if in doubt. Dark brown is maybe a foot deeper. Greenish brown or green is 3-4.

Thanks Mark and NauticalWheller! Nautical Wheeler your interpretation of Google Earth colors and depths is what I was hoping to hear. If anyone else has an opinion in this regard I would truly appreciate it. Any other advice or suggestions would be appreciated as well. Emails are welcome at: [email protected].

Thanks in advance of any additional info!
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,748 Captain
    Glad that 3bone kicked in. Pay attention to what he says & his site has tons of info. Wishing you a good time.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.