MISLABELING FISH GAME CONTINUES AS EVER

The commercial industry's mislabelling of fish species gets exposed periodically but officials do zero about it due to the industry's powerful influence peddling.

Here's the latest story about the fish fraud, from the Weshington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/one-third-of-seafood-mislabeled-study-finds/2013/02/20/e168e032-7b70-11e2-82e8-61a46c2cde3d_story.html?wpmk=MK0000200

Replies

• 1. I don't believe anything Ted Danson says.

2. I don't think this is anyway an indictment of American commercial fishermen.

3. Restaurants are making the money by falsely advertising their meals to the public. To absolve them for their feigned ignorance of what they are purchasing and misrepresenting is the another crime.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • broadbill-probroadbill-pro Posts: 68 Deckhand
    The commercial industry's mislabelling of fish species gets exposed periodically but officials do zero about it due to the industry's powerful influence peddling.

Here's the latest story about the fish fraud, from the Weshington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/one-third-of-seafood-mislabeled-study-finds/2013/02/20/e168e032-7b70-11e2-82e8-61a46c2cde3d_story.html?wpmk=MK0000200

Again your speaking out of your biased a##. It does not even occur to you that the fraud is conducted at the restaurant or retail level and that nearly all fish is discharged from the vessel whole. How depressing it must be to hate something so much that you associate everything negative in this world to it. When will you just go away?
  • testerman28testerman28 Posts: 1,329 Officer
    well then we should try harder to find out WHO is doing the miss labeling then right?

after all it usually has to do with money..
  • FS Karl SnapperFS Karl Snapper Posts: 285 Officer
    The mislabeling goes on at both the wholesale and retail levels (not all certainly) as shown also in federal indictments such as those recently in Key West.
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,078 AG
    Karl, this is hardly news to us but shocking to many who are not aware. Of course, finding where the switch happens is the key.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,282 AG
    1. I don't believe anything Ted Danson says.

3. Restaurants are making the money by falsely advertising their meals to the public. To absolve them for their feigned ignorance of what they are purchasing and misrepresenting is the another crime.
    I agree...
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • I'm shocked.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,282 AG
    Why?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • broadbill-probroadbill-pro Posts: 68 Deckhand
    1. I don't believe anything Ted Danson says.

I agree...

Figured since you were in shock we could test how much your heart could handle.. LOL
  • Joe NamathJoe Namath Posts: 83 Deckhand
    If the retail store/ restaurant doesn't know if the fish they are selling is whats labeled then they don't know enough to be called a professional. In that case the customer is buying from either a thief or an amateur.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,816 Captain
    Again your speaking out of your biased a##. It does not even occur to you that the fraud is conducted at the restaurant or retail level and that nearly all fish is discharged from the vessel whole. How depressing it must be to hate something so much that you associate everything negative in this world to it. When will you just go away?

I agree. How is a fisherman offloading whole gutted fish going to misrepresent it? Most of the "mis-labled" fish is probably imported from Asia in the form of fillets.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    Why?

Precisely.

• testerman28testerman28 Posts: 1,329 Officer
    ..the not so funny part of it is that you can take your family out to dinner and have to pull over on the way home for 'toilet runs' after eating 'fresh snapper' / white tuna / catfish / escolar..
    there is something to be said about fresh fish at a fish house ran and caught by reputable people! opps that makes them commercial fishermen.. tell me this what other nation has limits and regulations that we do? then tell me what other nation has as many people deceiving the people like we do? without penalty?
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,361 Captain
    Some years ago I held a commercial ticket briefly and found the best prices were had going direct to restaurants (not legal then but fairly common practice). Going in the back door of any restaurant was an eye opener but I won't be telling any tales. What I'd advocate is that no restaurant be allowed to purchase any fish that isn't in whole, gutted, condition. The moment any restaurant is allowed to purchase fileted, or processed fish products you allow the opportunity for profit by fraud (serious understatement). Whether it's fisherman, the fish house, or the restuarant... the fish should stay in as whole a condition as possible until the cooks get their hands on it.

I wonder how many restuarants would survive allowing their diners into their kitchen or cold lockers.... Yes, there are lots and lots of honest skilled kitchens but there are also enough of the bad ones to keep you up at night.....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • FV Miss MaryFV Miss Mary Posts: 497 Officer
    Like this?

Way too rich not to share this story about red snapper.

http://www.nola.com/opinions/index.ssf/2013/02/shortened_red_snapper_season_m.html

:rotflmao
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,816 Captain
    Even though it is misrepresented, I'd still rather have a restaurant serve me a B-liner than some Asian pond raised **** eating freak fish sold as a Red Snapper.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway