Amendment 5 to the HMS Plan is not going forward

Al_hmsAl_hms Posts: 200 Officer
The NOAA notice can be viewed at the following link:

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/sfa/hms/newslist/2013/02-20-13_removing_dusky_from_amendment_5_listserv.pdf

The fishermen who pointed out problems with the proposed plan to make a 96 inch minimum for all large coastal sharks (including blacktips) were heard.
Good for everyone who submitted their comments.

Replies

• Welcome Al HMS, and who might you be?

BTW, that is great news isn't it. My experience has been that HMS division is the most responsive to AP and public comment of all NMFS managers.

Thanks to Margo and her people for listening.
  • Tom HiltonTom Hilton Posts: 1,580 Captain
    Good news indeed.

Does anyone know where to tap into the database that shows landings data derived from the HMS Permit reporting requirements?

Thanks in advance,

Capt. Thomas J. Hilton
  • StillinscrubsStillinscrubs Posts: 1,844 Officer
    Was the shark limit idea one of those red herring things government bureaucracies hatch up with no intention of instituting so they have a "We listened to you" example when they are shoving other regulations of equally BS value down the throats of the recreational angling community?
  • Long GoneLong Gone Posts: 82 Deckhand
    Good for you guys, and us. It is a shame that such ridiclous ideas make it that far and require so much effort to finally admit were bad ideas. The individual that first proposed a 96 inch minimum should be kicked out.
    There needs to be a NMFS Common Sense Advisory Panel (CSAP) . When the idea presented is absurd and impractical, it does not make it on the list of options, let alone prefered options, and never leaves the building.
    Draft an idea, hammer out the details, and hand it over to the CSAP. If its anything but ridiculous, it goes forward. The chairman of the CSAP could also sit in on other AP meetings to squelch individuals' bad ideas before the rest of the panel members have to waste their time discussing them.
    When a guy that is on the pelagic longline payroll asks for special permission for his financiers to string pelagic longline gear in a conservation area....well, a strong CSAP could save us all thousands in scoping meetings, emails, NMFS blue sheets, time, and internet bickering on such an idea.
    Just a thought....
  • Was the shark limit idea one of those red herring things government bureaucracies hatch up with no intention of instituting so they have a "We listened to you" example when they are shoving other regulations of equally BS value down the throats of the recreational angling community?

Not at all, the shark amendment was required due to the stock assessment of the Dusky shark. Action required by MSA and the threat of an ESA listing looming.

Watch for my letter to editor in Marlin Magazine, contradicting Mike Leech and his conservation article. HMS has come a long way under Margo Shultz-Hagen and listens to the AP apparently more than any other part of NMFS. Mike claims Commercial control of HMS and ICCAT, and he is quite out of touch. He relates his article this month to things that happened in 90's. He has not been in direct contact with anything at the HMS A/P level in more than 10 years.

His article is pure BS and is the ranting of someone out of touch with reality. HMS division reacts to its AP more than anyone all be it sometime slow, but they did us right on this amendment action
  • Al_hmsAl_hms Posts: 200 Officer
    Tom Hilton wrote: »
    Good news indeed.

Does anyone know where to tap into the database that shows landings data derived from the HMS Permit reporting requirements?

Thanks in advance,

Capt. Thomas J. Hilton

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/recreational-fisheries/access-data/run-a-data-query/index
    Al_hms,
    I looked into the link, but the HMS data query only covered North Carolina and Maryland - I know that there is information being sent in from Gulf states as well, but don't see how to access it.
    All the best,
    Capt. Thomas J. Hilton
    Al_hms,
    I looked into the link, but the HMS data query only covered North Carolina and Maryland - I know that there is information being sent in from Gulf states as well, but don't see how to access it.
    All the best,
    Capt. Thomas J. Hilton

Catp Hilton
    I just downloaded mrip data (for yft) covering north atlantic, mid-atlantic, south atlantic, gulf, and caribbean regions from that link. I don't know if it has the specific data that you want, but it does have more data than you were able to find.
    I clicked on the HMS catch card query portal - interested in swordfish and other billfish data in the Gulf of Mexico, but GOM was not an option.
    They are collecting it - where do I go to find it?
    Is the HMS catch card data combined into MRIP?
    Tom
    Yesterday NMFS made available their revised plans for shark management (Amendment 5). As far as rec anglers are concerned, the plan is now to change the required minimum size for all species fo hammerhead sharks to 78 inches, and to leave all other existing measures as they currently stand. Dusky shark related issues are going to be addressed in a separate rule. This seems to me like a pretty good option, certainly a huge improvement on the original plan.
  • Capt EasyCapt Easy Posts: 203 Officer
    I clicked on the HMS catch card query portal - interested in swordfish and other billfish data in the Gulf of Mexico, but GOM was not an option.
    They are collecting it - where do I go to find it?
    Is the HMS catch card data combined into MRIP?
    Tom

Tom, HMS produces a Stock Assessment and Fishery Evaluation (SAFE) report. It is chock full of good info on regions, species and gear. It is almost 300 pages long but the graphs and tables are priceless.