Photo editing

What does everyone use or would recommend for photo editing?

Spent the weekend out with the Wife watching her practice and learn with the Nikon D7000.

I believe most use a photo editing on their computers to touch up photos or at least thought they did.I may be dead wrong.

Wife and myself are trying to learn....like I told her....three days ago we had no idea what shutter speed was or aperture.we can at least now adjust it on the DLSR.
"If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth ...
Ronald Reagan

Replies

• ChuckcChuckc Posts: 4,397 Captain
    How much do you want to spend?

Popular free options:
    Zoner
    Picasa

You can download a trial of many others. I purchased Paint Shop Pro and use it most of the time.
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    I have a piece of software called PhotoImpressions and I have Adobe (Photoshop) LightRoom. So far I prefer PhotoImpressions.

But that may be because I haven't really got into Lightroom, and all of it's features.
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • barlow46barlow46 Posts: 312 Deckhand
    Using a Mac or a PC? I use a Mac and use both Picasa and iPhoto. I think the PC users have more options than I do with the Mac but I am still in the early learning stage on software for editing.
    East Coast Florida
  • TurkeymasterTurkeymaster Posts: 210 Officer
    Thank you everyone...Chuck I found the Paint shop pro X5 for $80.00 and that may be the one to go with here soon.

We still need to master this I guess before we get to that...but I will know what we need.

I will post one of the many photos we took today.

Nothing special but just practicing.

SRM_0297_zpsf6736da3.jpg
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth ...
    Ronald Reagan
    One more and I will stop...I believe she did a fair job with the camera today since we were at a lose.:)

SRM_0262_zps68f5c40c.jpg
    Ronald Reagan
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,051 AG
    Photoshop, but I was raised on it while working at the newspaper.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    Turkey, nice pics, but I would be careful with tinkering too much with the saturation.
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • barlow46barlow46 Posts: 312 Deckhand
    Flash wrote: »
    Photoshop, but I was raised on it while working at the newspaper.

Flash, were you also using Pagemaker? I was raised on that one when doing newsletters for the school and got some help from FL. Today.
    East Coast Florida
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,414 AG
    Menzies wrote: »
    I have a piece of software called PhotoImpressions and I have Adobe (Photoshop) LightRoom. So far I prefer PhotoImpressions.

But that may be because I haven't really got into Lightroom, and all of it's features.

While Lightroom is certainly a strong basic photo editing tool is strength is it's cataloging and rating features.
    Which ever one(s) of you little boys complained about quotes in the signature should be ashamed of yourself. :blowkiss

Instead of complaining to the moderators you should just quit playing on this board.
    Menzies wrote: »
    Turkey, nice pics, but I would be careful with tinkering too much with the saturation.

Saturation is a term we are not familiar with.will see if we can figure out what that is and take your advise.
    Thank you
    Ronald Reagan
    barlow46 wrote: »
    Flash, were you also using Pagemaker? I was raised on that one when doing newsletters for the school and got some help from FL. Today.

No, they did not use Pagemaker and at the time I cannot even remember what it was, but I'll let you know when I find out. (remember) :grin
    I vaguely recall something called Quark Express.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    Which ever one(s) of you little boys complained about quotes in the signature should be ashamed of yourself. :blowkiss

Instead of complaining to the moderators you should just quit playing on this board.
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,656 Admiral
    I do almost all my editing on the mac and use Preview. I know it's fairly basic, but it's so fast. I usually shoot 500-1000 at an event, then cull down to 50-100 "A-shots", then crop, add a bit of saturation and sharpness to each one. Takes about an hour to cull and 45 minutes to edit, if I move very very fast.

The most tedious part is sifting through 10 or so very similar shots to find the best one.

I cant stand iPhoto for some reason.
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
    When you bought Paint Shop Pro did you get the Nik filter pack included? I don't use the filters all that often but there are times that I want a specific look that the filters make easy. You should go ahead and download Zoner as well since it's free and doesn't eat a whole bunch of space.

While you are learning you will want to look into RAW file advantages. There are some who think that you should only shoot in RAW and then digitally develop your images to get the most control. There are definitely advantages to shooting in RAW, especially when you don't get the exposure right. I shoot in RAW+JPG Fine which gives me the option of having a .RAW file if needed and a .JPG for quick and easy sharing.
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,215 Officer
    i'm using photoFXlab for my day to day rat killing, and photomatix for hdr....

i do use my canon software for cleaning up noise...
    it's the best, easiest software i have found for this purpose...
    the canon software also has an hdr program, but you can't "tone map" like you can with photomatix....

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
    Cane Pole wrote: »
    I usually shoot 500-1000 at an event, then cull down to 50-100 "A-shots", then crop, add a bit of saturation and sharpness to each one.

Shotgunner. :grin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

X2:rotflmao

• deadcatbouncedeadcatbounce Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    I have a d7000 as well. Shoot in RAW, edit in Lightroom. 90% of pro photographers will give the same advice. Lightroom is easier to learn than Photoshop and is specifically designed to just edit photos.
    Not sure I fully agree with that, but this pro never shot RAW or used Lightroom. :grin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Not sure I fully agree with that, but this pro never shot RAW or used Lightroom. :grin

so you're sayin' you're lucky??? lol....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

#12976, joined 8-17-2002
    so you're sayin' you're lucky??? lol....

or more skilled. :wink
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Or part of the 10%. ;-)
    or more skilled. :wink

nahhh.....i'll go with luck....
    but you have been pretty lucky for a very long time and i respect your talent....lol....

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

#12976, joined 8-17-2002
    nahhh.....i'll go with luck....
    but you have been pretty lucky for a very long time and i respect your talent....lol....

tim

Hey, someone has to like me. :grin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• rodzrodz Posts: 663 Officer
    Cane Pole wrote: »
    I do almost all my editing on the mac and use Preview. I know it's fairly basic, but it's so fast.

:Agree

I set Preview(reads RAW files) up for clients to edit with then process in the Adobe CS6 gauntlet.