FWC and red snapper

And we're off to the races folks!

The FWC just voted to approve a draft measure for a 44 day, state water red snapper season!

Replies

• reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    That means 1 Fish/pp/day... Right ???
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • ontheedge5658ontheedge5658 Posts: 2,663 Captain
    What coast?
  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,920 Admiral
    What will they do when the feds close off their waters to snapper fishing this year. Will the State then tell them we will not enforce their waters either?
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• Navy_FishingNavy_Fishing Posts: 813 Officer
    Panhandle wins, everyone else in the state loses. Those of us in the Tampa Bay area will not be legally able to harvest ARS, as they are no where close to state waters here.
    Panhandle wins, everyone else in the state loses. Those of us in the Tampa Bay area will not be legally able to harvest ARS, as they are no where close to state waters here.

How long do you think they will catch snapper here with all the pressure staying in state waters?

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

For at least 44 days they will.
  • Got TA GoGot TA Go Posts: 2,608 Captain

They are to KW. :wink
    www.gottagofishinginkeywest.com

Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.
  • Got TA Go wrote: »
    They are to KW. :wink

Not nice Rob:nono

They are stupid thick in 100' plus up here.
    Can't get a bait to the bottom in a lot of spots.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
    For at least 44 days they will.

You've obviously never fished up here since they have been playing God and alternating species.

Fished out of destin for 3-4 years and could catch ARS within sight of the beach. Let's not play like there is an ARS shortage in state waters up there....
  • crcattypccrcattypc Posts: 632 Officer
    I do not think spiney is saying they are not up here in state waters, but every season, the close #'s get hit hard first. 2 weeks into the season, It will be much more difficult to catch ARS in state waters due to the number of people who will be out every day. It just seems like there should be a better way to spread out the time and allocation of fish. We all know they are super thick out there. But your honey hole could be destroyed in 10 minutes with one head boat, and there are about 10 here in PC... poor bastards have to make the large share of their living in 1 1/2 months. It just hurts everybody. If you were to go to any # with any kind of relief right now within state water limits, you would find it covered. That will change very quick in June.
    :fishing:grin
  • acarbacarb Posts: 2,357 Captain
    crcattypc wrote: »
    I do not think spiney is saying they are not up here in state waters, but every season, the close #'s get hit hard first. 2 weeks into the season, It will be much more difficult to catch ARS in state waters due to the number of people who will be out every day. It just seems like there should be a better way to spread out the time and allocation of fish. We all know they are super thick out there. But your honey hole could be destroyed in 10 minutes with one head boat, and there are about 10 here in PC... poor bastards have to make the large share of their living in 1 1/2 months. It just hurts everybody. If you were to go to any # with any kind of relief right now within state water limits, you would find it covered. That will change very quick in June.

This! I had one number that would school up to the boat during May, last year. Number was wiped clean 2 weeks into snapper season.
  • CaptBobBryantCaptBobBryant Posts: 5,716 Officer
    If approached just tell em you caught them in State waters
    National Association of Recreational Anglers - Add Your Voice
    https://www.facebook.com/RecAnglers?notif_t=page_new_likes
    If approached just tell em you caught them in State waters

Pretty sure if you're in Fed. Waters when checked (& the season there is closed), it won't matter what you tell them...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • EggsuckindogEggsuckindog Posts: 1,528 Officer
    The Feds have no enforcement, so if the FWC wants use their gas to do that they certainly can, maybe they will maybe they won't. They have in the past so we'll just have to see.
    1976 SeaCraft master Angler - Merc 200 XRi
    dscf1243-1.jpg
    Fished out of destin for 3-4 years and could catch ARS within sight of the beach. Let's not play like there is an ARS shortage in state waters up there....
    crcattypc wrote: »

That is precisely what I am saying. I have hundreds of numbers all packing in State waters but the pressure will be relentless if they close off federal waters to Snapper fishing. Me personally I wouldn't give you a plug nickel for all the Snapper in the Gulf. But hey thats just me. I would rather have one good Grouper than 100 Snapper.

The Feds have no enforcement, so if the FWC wants use their gas to do that they certainly can, maybe they will maybe they won't. They have in the past so we'll just have to see.

That's BS... The CG has the authority to enforce Fed. Fishing Regs...
    How many times have you seen them past 9 miles without being on a call, I never have. Didn't say they couldn't nor did I say the FWC couldn't, even the sheriff can - just whether they will.

As far close spots those will be hit when the Fed season is open too, its just they will get more pressure when its not which is only a 15 days or so - big deal.
    dscf1243-1.jpg
  • Riptide31Riptide31 Posts: 474 Deckhand
    It's about time FWC grew some balls.
    These rules are laughable. Make some that are reasonable and I'd be glad to follow them. Make them as they are an no one will follow them.
  • Long GoneLong Gone Posts: 82 Deckhand
    Navy has it correct. West Central folks have no reason to celebrate anything. There are no red snapper in state waters there. You just lost your entire red snapper season to the Panhandle and they likely lost all access to fish federal waters. Federal permitted charterboats, who must always follow the more restrictive of rules state or federal, will now have no season at all in the Gulf of Mexico.
    Brilliant. We're really showing them.....
    How many times have you seen them past 9 miles without being on a call, I never have. Didn't say they couldn't nor did I say the FWC couldn't, even the sheriff can - just whether they will.

We've been boarded & checked by the CG >20 mi. out...
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,377 Moderator
    And don't forget, at last weeks Gulf Council meeting, the council gave Crabtree authority to close Federal waters early in states that are not in compliance with Fed regs, so get ready for a 12 day federal season, not 27.

your pretty picky and hardheaded correct? Unless you have a life threatening issue hard to get them to leave the dock, thats what SeaTow is for. Like I said they can and they might, but within a 15 day window I might take the chance their still working safety checks in the ICW.

Jack all depends if anybody locally cares, that fact remains to be seen - your CCA buddy Gieger brought this up years ago on the SAMFC about punishment, he wasn't sure then. I guess the boys heard some things thru the grapevine which is why this new power play is being quicky passed thru, they can't have the peasants getting uppity you know.
    dscf1243-1.jpg
    If my not blindly agreeing w/you makes me 'picky & hardheaded' I guess I am
  • Riptide31Riptide31 Posts: 474 Deckhand
    Geiger? Jesus, when will that SOB just go away. Someone should **** in his cornflakes and outlaw fishing for Tarpon. Here's a guy who knows virtually nothing about offshore species(He was/is an inshore guide) but has been a total PIA for as long as I can remember RE offshore species. I quit the CCA when I found out how he voted on the ARS closure, way back when.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG

Never seen the CG check a monkey boat for fish. Only safety inspections. Maybe a charter boat?
    The kicker is this, you know as I do that the best snapper holes are 8-12 miles out. Unless they (feds) actually see you catching snapper outside the 9 mile line how can it be proven?
    I agree this whole snapper and grouper limits and closers are a farce.
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • Long GoneLong Gone Posts: 82 Deckhand
    Been boarded by FWC many times outside 50 miles. Once we were 95 miles from land and boarded by FWC at daybreak in 3 to 4s. (no violations).
  • Joe NamathJoe Namath Posts: 83 Deckhand
    Riptide31 wrote: »
    Geiger? Jesus, when will that SOB just go away. I quit the CCA when I found out how he voted on the ARS closure, way back when.

Me too
  • Long Gone wrote: »
    Navy has it correct. West Central folks have no reason to celebrate anything. There are no red snapper in state waters there. You just lost your entire red snapper season to the Panhandle and they likely lost all access to fish federal waters. Federal permitted charterboats, who must always follow the more restrictive of rules state or federal, will now have no season at all in the Gulf of Mexico.
    Brilliant. We're really showing them.....

We have been playing this cat and mouse game with the feds threathening us far too long. I don't believe in the federal government strong arming Florlda into submitting to any agenda, much less one which is purely political.

What is even more loathesome is holding charterboat operaters hostage and playing their licensure against their recreational fisherman client base.

This is governance gone horribly wrong. It is a stand Florida has been long overdue in taking.

Good work FWC.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
    I fully support FWCs position & agree it's time to tell NMFS (& the Gulf Council) to "take this fish & shove it"
    (My biggest ARSs usually come while fishing for Gags in ~200' ~40mi. out, so yes I can catch nice fish ~10mi., but my best spots are ~20-40mi)