Spearing in a Park

tailchaser16tailchaser16 Posts: 652 Officer
This might have been discussed before, but nothing popped up on when I searched it.

Can I legally spear Lionfish in Pennekamp, Biscayne National Park or Bill Baggs State Park?

Replies

• IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    To get the real answer you will likely have to call the park 305-451-1202.
  • FrisbeeFrisbee Posts: 2,315 Officer
    I seriously doubt it..the law is in affect to make sure an errant spear doesn't hit someone, lionfish killing ain't gonna trump people killing
  • 2fastlx2fastlx Posts: 407 Deckhand
    I too would like to know the answer, the lionfish are back in Pennekamp and it wouod be much easier to spear them than netting and smashing like I have been doing. Maybe they will let us use the small spears meant for lionfish instead of hawaiian slings or polespears.
  • Mako254Mako254 Posts: 64 Deckhand
    68B-20.003 Spearing, Statewide Regulation; Prohibition Against Powerheads, Bangsticks, and Rebreathers; Repeal of Certain Special Acts.
    (1) Spearing is lawful in all salt waters and salt tributaries located in the State of Florida except:
    (a) As provided in Section 379.2425, F.S.; and
    (b) As prohibited in this chapter, and elsewhere in Title 68B, Florida Administrative Code.
    (2) Spearfishing is hereby prohibited:
    (a) Within 100 yards of all public bathing beaches.
    (b) Within 100 yards of all commercial or public fishing piers.
    (c) Within 100 yards of that portion of any bridge where public fishing is legally permitted.
    (d) Within 100 feet of the unsubmerged portion of any jetty, except that spearfishing shall be allowed along the last 500 yards of any jetty that extends more than 1,500 yards from the shoreline.
    (e) In or on any body of water under the jurisdiction of the Division of Recreation and Parks of the Department of Environmental Protection. Possession of spearing equipment in or on any body of water under the jurisdiction of the Division of Recreation and Parks is prohibited except when such equipment is not loaded and is properly stored upon watercraft passing nonstop through such marine waters.