Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Boat registration question...

I noticed when I was in Carrabelle last weekend that my registration has expired. I remembered - so I thought - sending my packet in sometime before this one and my Tracker expired. I tried to access the registrations online but there was an issue.
I was talking to a nice young woman to who Georgia has outsourced its registration now. She said they were both renewed in August. I told her I never received my stickers. After a few minutes she told me I never sent in my State Of Manufacture paperwork and I also needed to send a picture of my hull ID. 30 minutes of round and round about it and I got the same responses each time.

So the question is.....

Have any if you had to jump through this hoop when renewing your boat registration?

I've gotten what I think will suffice for the Tracker but the paperwork for the Proline is, of course, in Carrabelle.

Thanks for any input and/or suggestions.

B
Proverbs 13:3

Replies

• hooknredshooknreds Posts: 2,461 Captain
    Fortunately we don't have that here in FL...yet. Good luck!
  • Rogan1Rogan1 Posts: 41 Greenhorn
    Never had to do that. I've renewed on-line each time the last few years. You should be able to print a temp registration until the perm reg arrives. Seems a little off to me.
  • ebryantebryant Posts: 47 Deckhand
    I live in Troup County Ga. I have been paying personal property tax ($180.00 last year) because the boat was registered in Ga. I'm going to register it in Fl. next week for about $45.00 a year with no personal property tax to pay. I called the Wakulla County tax office to confirm this. Ga. cannot tax it if is kept out of state 184 days per year.
  • RhettleyRhettley Posts: 1,545 Officer
    I had no trouble at all with the SeaChaser but my little Gheenoe was a problem. It had never been registered as it was used as a private pond boat only. When I bought it I tried to register it and had to write several letters explaining why it had never been registered before. They couldn't seem to understand that since it wasn't legally necessary to have it registered to paddle it around a small private pond, the previous owner didn't send them money to register it with them. I finally got that straight but could not find the hull ID number. The boat had been painted numerous times and the numbers which were etched into the hull by hand were no longer visible. They could issue me new numbers but I had to get a game warden to come to the house and inspect the hull to make sure it was safe to put on the water... I guess they thought I would sue them if I registered it and then it sank.
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,993 Captain
    I've already had to send a pic of the Proline hull ID once. Somehow it got registered twice. I have no idea why I've got to resend that one AND send the one for the Tracker as they've been registered before. I guess I have to drive to Carrabelle this evening to try and locate the appropriate information. Not exactly sure where The paperwork is but I'm about 85% that it's in the cabin of OC.

I'm going to call again today before driving down to see if another person gives me any other suggestions.
  • Tide-DancerTide-Dancer Posts: 1,347 Officer
    Brad, unless you really need the paper work I can go by your boat a take a photo of the ID number. Just let me know.
  • BigfootBigfoot Posts: 9,383 Admiral
    Never had to do this and just renewed...

your just lucky, FF

This is just cocka mamee booboo...why do they need pictures??? whatcha gonna do register something that does not exist??? Ins fraud???

More paper work creating more gooberment jobs...I'm about over the SYSTEM.
    Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,268 Admiral
    Never had any problems. Dont reckon one of your least favorite students work for DNR in the boat reg dept. :shrug
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
    TD, thanks very much for that. I'll let you know. After I talk to another person this morning and try to sort it out, I'll holler at ya if that'll work.

As to the government jobs, former student, etc....the fax number to which I've been told to send these documents is in MARYLAND!
    Chuck, check your phone. Sent you a text message...

Just in case, here's the skinny,
    Talked to a different young woman today and the whole story was different.

They will accept a picture of the hull ID number. Problem being, the hull is white and the ID number is stamped into the hull and it's hard to see, much less photograph. Last time I had to do this, I did a pencil rubbing of the ID and sent that in. You may need to do that and photograph. I'm not sure.

Finally - thanks for saving me a tank of gas! Adult beverages and a fishing trip on me soon, okay?

B

email address or phone is fine to send pic. Email is [email protected]. You should have my phone number.
    OK I'm going offshore mid afternoon to pull bait traps so I will be out of pocket then.
    Thanks a lot. Hull ID is above swim platform on right side of transom. Just send whenever you get a chance. I'll send to them Monday.
    B
    10-4 Brad. My phone blocks all text messages. It's a chuck thang. So I don't' get or do text.
    I will get the photo today.
    YOU DA MAN!!!!!!
    Brad, I sent you a couple of photos of your ID# via e-mail this morning. Please confirm. I sent them from my phone so if they don't show up I will use the desktop.
    Have a great weekend.
    Go Black Birds
    I got them. Thank you so much, Chuck. You have a good weekend too. Goin' fishin'?