Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Venison marinade...

Whatcha got? Thinking about marinating some cube steak and putting it on the egg.

Replies

• FlashFlash Posts: 11,193 AG
    hooknreds wrote: »
    Whatcha got? Thinking about marinating some cube steak and putting it on the egg.

Mojo or if I go commercial, I use Allegro for Wild Game or Allegro Hickory.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • KayakMacGyverKayakMacGyver Posts: 1,009 Officer
    50/50 mix of dales low sodium (less intense IMO) and Dr.Pepper. Only marinate for 24 hours max...
    They Can't Us "You Should Have Been There Yesterday"...........Because We Were!
  • wishfishinwishfishin Posts: 4,080 Captain
    Italian dressing works great on deer meat. Then dust with garlic powder...not garlic salt. 2-3 hours ought to do it.
    1268964408215_zps1ab1a85e.gif
  • omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,127 Captain

Just about the only way we cook cube steak now. Maybe 3-5 mins and they're plenty done. Sorry, I don't have much in the way of marinades.
  • hooknredshooknreds Posts: 2,461 Captain
    50/50 mix of dales low sodium (less intense IMO) and Dr.Pepper. Only marinate for 24 hours max...
    Dale's is just too strong...maybe the Dr Pepper dials it down???
    wishfishin wrote: »
    Italian dressing works great on deer meat. Then dust with garlic powder...not garlic salt. 2-3 hours ought to do it.

Ive used Italian on venison for years, espicially backstrap. Looking for something different.
    omegafoo wrote: »
    Just about the only way we cook cube steak now. Maybe 3-5 mins and they're plenty done. Sorry, I don't have much in the way of marinades.
    Had it at camp this year...forgot how simple and tasty it is grilled. I usually think of cubed meat being fried.
    Flash wrote: »
    Mojo or if I go commercial, I use Allegro for Wild Game or Allegro Hickory.
    Mojo is hard to beat...was thinking more of a liquid than rub tho.
  • cracker4112cracker4112 Posts: 822 Officer
    Here's mine- I don't measure:

Lea & perrins
    Dash hot sauce
    fresh garlic
    Olive oil
    Dash Salt
    fresh ground pepper
    Smoked paprika
    brown sugar
    Add water to cover if necessary
  • RhettleyRhettley Posts: 1,545 Officer
    Use 1/3 Dales, worchester, or soy sauce, 1/3 Italian, olive oil, apple juice, orange juice, or lemon juice, and 1/3 melted butter. Add minced garlic, smoked paprika, black pepper, cayenne, hot sauce, etc.

I seldom marinate it in this longer than 15 minutes and grill it less than 5 minutes as it dries out really fast. If I want to tenderize it more (usually not really needed) I'll soak it overnight in milk or buttermilk. This helps to get the blood out too. It makes a great sandwich for lunch like this.
  • Slopps08Slopps08 Posts: 1,038 Officer
    Garlic teriyaki!

Tight lines to everybody!
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,457 AG
    Cube meat doesn't need much in the way of soaking IMO.

Lea & perrins
    Lowerys or everglades
    garlic salt
    pepper
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,193 AG
    Mojo is hard to beat...was thinking more of a liquid than rub tho.

Look for the Allegro. I really like it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • D DayD Day Posts: 84 Deckhand
    Flash wrote: »
    Look for the Allegro. I really like it.

Another vote for Allegro's. I think the one we buy is their "Wild Game Tame." That has been our go to Marinade for venison and duck breasts for years.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,457 AG
    But venison really isn't really gamey tasting. At least not to me. Ducks yes.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    Dale's is just too strong...maybe the Dr Pepper dials it down???

Yup. That and the low sodium variety is much less intense. I was never a huge fan of dales until I started doing a 50 50 mix with Dr. Pepper or any dark soda for that matter
    micci_man wrote: »
    But venison really isn't really gamey tasting. At least not to me. Ducks yes.

A buck in rut is about as bad as it gets, IMO. I ruined a 40 lb batch of burger last year with one rutty buck. I could smell/taste it in every bite.

Shot one 2 weeks ago in full rut and ate his tenderloins last night. Same deal. Although not as strong, I could definitely taste it.

Duck is pretty nasty to me, which is the main reason I just haven't gotten into hunting them.
  • Slopps08Slopps08 Posts: 1,038 Officer
    A buck in rut is about as bad as it gets, IMO. I ruined a 40 lb batch of burger last year with one rutty buck. I could smell/taste it in every bite.

Shot one 2 weeks ago in full rut and ate his tenderloins last night. Same deal. Although not as strong, I could definitely taste it.

Duck is pretty nasty to me, which is the main reason I just haven't gotten into hunting them.

You have to let it hang for a little bit! Also get the guts out soon and do not Nick the sack! I have never had a problem with taste on any of my deer and I never ever soak it on milk or buttermilk!

Tight lines to everybody!
    I ice age all of my deer for 2 weeks and then usually marinade prior to cooking. I'm sure I don't nick the sac because I'm able to jar the pizZ on those deer. I told a buddy about this last night and he said his grandfather told him when he was a kid he needed to cut out the gland ASAP on a rutting buck. Not sure how to do this since I'd probably damage the tendon needed to hang the deer.

Curious if anyone else has ever heard this.
  • Circle-HookCircle-Hook Posts: 503 Officer
    We don't try to hide the taste- take care of it when we knock it down, hang in controled temp cooler 10-14 days- garlic salt and a hot grill.
  • ruskinredneckruskinredneck Posts: 1,121 Officer
    Marinade for venison steak
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    ¼ cup vin.gar
    ¼ cup soy sauce
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon sesame oil
    ½ cup water
    Thoroughly blend all ingredients. Cover venison steaks with marinade for at least 4 hours (overnight preferred) prior to cooking. Turn steaks periodically, or add more marinade, to saturate. Broil or grill steaks to your preference. (Once again, apple-grilled steaks are terrific!)
  • RhettleyRhettley Posts: 1,545 Officer
    I think almost all of the gamey taste can be taken care of in the first hour after the kill. Get the deer to a processor that will skin, gut, and hang it ASAP. If the deer won't be cooling in less than 2 hours or if it is gut shot then field dress it. Get a bag or two of ice into the cavity or if you don't have access to a store, take several 2 liter bottles full of frozen water in a cooler in your truck and use these.
    If the deer is stressed, was running chasing a doe, or ran a long ways after the shot the quick cooling is even more imperative. This is meat I'll have put into sausage because it will be the strongest.
    I could be wrong but I think heat and length of time until cooling starts is the number one cause of strong meat. Remember the old days when a rutting buck was tied to the hood of a truck and driven around being shown off for hours before it was cleaned and then it tasted like it smelled?