ROD AND REEL RECOMMENDATIONS

Well tax season is here and i figured i would treat my self to a nice new rod and reel. Currently i have a penn battle combo which is a battle 5000 with a 7' penn battle rod that has pp 20lbs braid. This is my every day combo for pitching lures and live shrimp. It's been pretty good so far but what i noticed is when i catch a good sized fish ( ex. span mac, small tarpon ) the battle gets spooled hard. I also have a penn 5500ss on a ugly stick but the 5500 gives me more grief with braid then the battle so its benched. I was thinking to step up to the penn conquer 5000 with 30-40lbs braid and still do what my battle combo can do but with better drag. I been reading on here to stay away from the conquer series cause of problems, I'm wondering if the problems have been fixed or are there still problems? also if not what would you suggest for a step up from what I'm currently using.

Next is the rod. I was looking at the **** regiment rods because of the k series guides ( they supposedly work better with braid ). There is other rods with the k series guides but they seem to be almost $100 more expensive then regiment rods. My questions here is are the regiment rods good and which model should i get. I feel like a **** noob asking these questions but i feel like the game has changed now a days cause I'm still use to the penn 5500ss with the ugly stick using mono. Any and all help is appreciated! and thanks for the time!

IF THIS IS THE WRONG SPOT TO POST THIS I'M SORRY

Replies

• mako7873mako7873 Posts: 87 Deckhand
    I have a Shimano Stradic 8000FH spooled with 30lb braid that I use for vertical jigging on a Star Lite 6' stiff rod and I love it. It's small enough to not tire you out but sturdy enough to catch 25lb Bonita and 15lb BFTs with no problem. It could easily be used with a different rod for inshore species too. Plus it's pretty affordable for what you get in the reel.
  • roweryborowerybo Posts: 2,091 Officer
    When you say getting spooled hard, do you mean it doesn't have enough line or you can't put enough drag on the fish?
    Either way, I'd look at the Penn Spinfisher V at the size of 5500 or 6500. These reels can put more drag pressure on a fish than a comparable conquer and have the same gear ratio as your current battle.
  • FIGGYFIGGY Posts: 73 Deckhand
    rowerybo wrote: »
    When you say getting spooled hard, do you mean it doesn't have enough line or you can't put enough drag on the fish?
    Either way, I'd look at the Penn Spinfisher V at the size of 5500 or 6500. These reels can put more drag pressure on a fish than a comparable conquer and have the same gear ratio as your current battle.

Sorry should have been more specific. I mean doesn't put enough drag pressure on it, but after today I'm not sure if its just me or really the reel. I fought a big black drum this morning and the rod and reel both worked great. 50-60lbs black drum and fought it for 20-30 mins and had my rod almost bent over and the drag did its job. I think ill still do a upgrade just cause its tax money and i never buy myself anything expensive :fishing
    Penn website says it will push 20lbs at max drag. But Spinfisher V will push 30 if needed.
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    Do you have tape or mono backing on your spool to keep your braid from slipping on the spool? This may be your problem.

Max drag should be more than sufficient. If it's not you should upsize your tackle or switch to conventional.
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
    Do you have tape or mono backing on your spool to keep your braid from slipping on the spool?

The Penn battle actually has a braid ready spool with a rubber gasket on it. No more need to back it with mono or tape it.
  • LastMangoLastMango Posts: 4,574 Officer
    I buy pretty much everything in two's, so about two years ago, I bought two Penn Battle 6000's for pitch bait rigs, while I've been very happy with their performance when hooked up on Mahi (example picture below) and when jigging (mainly in the Bahamas)... I'm not happy with the reels coating... Oddly, one still looks great, but the other looks like the picture below... Still works, but for how long? I'll go with Shimano's on my next purchase...

Penn Battle 6000 Coating Issue
    attachment.php?attachmentid=131572&d=1399127702
    And yes.... I always wash my gear at the end of a day offshore... :)
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Unless that reel laid on the sea floor for a week, that pic is enough reason for me to never buy one of those...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
    Oh, but the story gets better.... I called Penn, eMailed them a picture and they said "sorry, that's not covered, you'll need to buy a new one"... No joke... BUT WAIT, the story gets even better... The name of the guy that works in the service/warranty dept is Harold Bush..... I about spit my drink out when he gave me his name.... At least I got some humor out of the deal...
    Do you have tape or mono backing on your spool to keep your braid from slipping on the spool? This may be your problem.

Max drag should be more than sufficient. If it's not you should upsize your tackle or switch to conventional.

I actually have mono backing just cause I'm use to doing mono backing. The guy at the tackle shop also said i dont need it but another guy who was shopping there has the reel and said
    " throw the backing on, the gasket isn't the greatest " better safe then sorry i guess.
  • snook87snook87 Posts: 1,707 Captain
    LastMango wrote: »
    I buy pretty much everything in two's, so about two years ago, I bought two Penn Battle 6000's for pitch bait rigs, while I've been very happy with their performance when hooked up on Mahi (example picture below) and when jigging (mainly in the Bahamas)... I'm not happy with the reels coating... Oddly, one still looks great, but the other looks like the picture below... Still works, but for how long? I'll go with Shimano's on my next purchase...

I am having the EXACT same problem. so far its up to 5 penn reels ive decommissioned due to the metal body corrosion. NEVER had a problem with the stradics and i am going into my 6th gen of stradics and have over 12 of them all useable
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rysherrysher Posts: 380 Deckhand
    buy quality and buy once. ;)

[/QUOTE]

That's crazy right there! I salt water fish but from shore and i have never had any reel do that to me. I hope i don't get that problem with my current battle.
  • SaltwataSlaughtaSaltwataSlaughta Posts: 187 Officer
    Okuma v system. Just as nice as a stradic for less money. I have several of both
  • PENNPENN Posts: 373 Deckhand
    Guys sorry for the late response but yes we did have a bad run of reels a couple years ago were the paint had issues adhering to the metal body and we are fully aware of the issue. As it may look like corrosion it is not. The Battle has an anodized aluminum body so the metal will not corrode. The bubbling does indeed look like corrosion but if you take a closer look at the metal there is no pitting or rust. The issue is only cosmetic and does not harm the functionality of the reel. We quickly fixed the situation with our factory and are confident that recent reels will not have the same issue. Lastmango and anyone else that has had this happen to your reel we will gladly replace your reel under warranty as a manufacture defect. We stand behind our product and we want to make sure our valued customers are taken care of. Lastmango if you would please PM us with your address so we can quickly get your reels replaced. We have been monitoring online forms and have addressed this issue publicly on Florida Sportsman forum in the past and will continue to do so. Please feel free to reach out to us with any questions or concerns.

Thanks Cameron
    PENN wrote: »
    Guys sorry for the late response but yes we did have a bad run of reels a couple years ago were the paint had issues adhering to the metal body and we are fully aware of the issue. As it may look like corrosion it is not. The Battle has an anodized aluminum body so the metal will not corrode. The bubbling does indeed look like corrosion but if you take a closer look at the metal there is no pitting or rust. The issue is only cosmetic and does not harm the functionality of the reel. We quickly fixed the situation with our factory and are confident that recent reels will not have the same issue. Lastmango and anyone else that has had this happen to your reel we will gladly replace your reel under warranty as a manufacture defect. We stand behind our product and we want to make sure our valued customers are taken care of. Lastmango if you would please PM us with your address so we can quickly get your reels replaced. We have been monitoring online forms and have addressed this issue publicly on Florida Sportsman forum in the past and will continue to do so. Please feel free to reach out to us with any questions or concerns.

Thanks Cameron

I am having the same issue and its not only the penn battle but also the penn sargus. All of which the problems occurred before and after the upsetting 1 year warranty. I tried to return the reels but was told they couldnt replace them cause it looked like i caused the problem. I called and plead my case and got the run around and to return it back to where I bought it at, the same ones that told me I abused the reels and won't be covered. So I gave up trying after phone calls and emails without a resolution. Why was this problem never fixed before the penn battles hit the shelf, why couldn't penn recall the reels? After these problems I felt like I wasted my money on a product that time after time has gone to garbage. As you stated it doesn't affect the performance but it will if not fixed! After one year I basically just decided to give up on penn reels cause I don't know if the next one I buy will do the same thing. 3 of the 4 penn reels I have purchased over the 2 years are now garbage, all slightly used and well taken care of too. After my experience with Penn's customer service and problems with paint on the reels I have discouraged everyone who asks about buying the penn battle and any of the spinner reels. I would be glad to recommend penn reels once my battles get fixed even after the one year warranty as you stated is Penn's problem, not mine. Selling known defective reels isn't a good image for customers who own or want to own your products. Nothing is more upsetting then paying good money for something you hope lasts a long time only to watch it fall apart in your hands.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Snook87 thanks for expressing your concerns and frustrations, please PM us with your contact info and address. We are more than happy to replace your reels. The Sargus and Battle both share the same body and paint so yes you would have seen the same thing on your Sargus. There was a small window were some reels had this issue but all is well now. A recall was not placed because not every reel was defective and the paint issue does not cause harm to the functionality of the reel. Depending on when you contacted our customer service we may have not known of the issues at the time so please forgive use. I would like to make things right and get your reels replaced so I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks Cameron
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    I'm very glad to see Penn standing behind this issue... I had another issue/problem/complaint/frustration... I was a long standing 'Penn Guy' & have owned several of the old Gold Torque TRQ-200s & 300s & after the 1 yr warranty expired, I had to replace the right side plates on 2 reels & a spool on 1 reel. My friendly dealer/repair shop told me it was a 'known dis-similar metals problem' that lead to the corrosion, but that Penn was not warrantying the older reels. I spent several hundred dollars to repair the reels & then sold them all on eBay & vowed to never buy another Penn product... Is Penn aware of the problem I am describing w/the old (Gold) Torque conventional reels ???
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • FishdflatsFishdflats Posts: 176 Deckhand
    I'm very glad to see Penn standing behind this issue... I had another issue/problem/complaint/frustration... I was a long standing 'Penn Guy' & have owned several of the old Gold Torque TRQ-200s & 300s & after the 1 yr warranty expired, I had to replace the right side plates on 2 reels & a spool on 1 reel. My friendly dealer/repair shop told me it was a 'known dis-similar metals problem' that lead to the corrosion, but that Penn was not warrantying the older reels. I spent several hundred dollars to repair the reels & then sold them all on eBay & vowed to never buy another Penn product... Is Penn aware of the problem I am describing w/the old (Gold) Torque conventional reels ???

I would like to know as I also experience issues with my Penn Torque reel were I feel it seems to be Slipping. I was told by Bass Pro that they only have a one year warranty, In all honesty I think that the handful of times I had fish hooked up lost it after too long trying to reel them in only to loose them because the handle would not move the spool. I had it fixed by a reel repair person and just got it back. However, I have not been able to get out and use it, and worry that I will have the issue again. Definitely, debating as to what has happened to PENN Quality in recent years.

Too bad that it took the OP to post something online in order to get attention to the issue and his reel.
    -Luis
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    reel stamas and fishdflats - yes we are aware that there was an issue in the right side plate of the 1st generation Torque Star Drag reels...those reels were built back in 2008 if I remember correctly. I can't rememeber exactly how we handled that situation because it was so long ago, but I think we handled all requests under warranty even after the year. It was a known manufacturing defect that was present on a small number of reels. So here we are, it's 5 years later and we continue to stand behind our product, what would you guys like us to do to make this right?

Mike
  • ReelFinaddictReelFinaddict Posts: 72 Deckhand
    I think it's great that penn is standing behind There products!! it definitely makes me feel more comfortable buying penn reel's! i just purchased the brand new penn spinfisher v 4500 and a penn battle 4000. I really hope i don't have a corrosion issue like others have posted about.
    Tight Lines!
    I did decide to try penn again this time I bought the spinfisher V 4500LL and paired it with a Star Seagis 7'6" 10-20lb rod. I love it but do thing the reel is a lil small for the rod but after I get my Battles back ill switch reels on the Seagis rod.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]