Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

Where is a Good Spot to Catch Ladyfish?

I am an avid swordfisherman and we currently have our boat out of the water for scheduled maintenance. In the meantime we are looking to stock our bait cooler with various types of Swordfish baits. We have Bonita Belly, Snakehead, Mackeral and Tons of Mullet, but we are looking for ladyfish to top us off. Does anyone know a good place to catch ladyfish in the palm beach/broward area. I heard that flood gates with live shrimp might be a possibility but wanted to see if i could get some more insight from anyone. Appreciate the feedback if anyone could supply me with any!

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,725 Captain
    Tons of ladies (and big ones) in the ICW north and south of downtown Palm Beach in winter. Years ago we used to safari up there to fish the seawalls at dawn or dusk. All that's needed is a good pair of running shoes since you'll need to cover some ground with a single spin or plug rod (or a fly rod if you're adventurous) armed with a 1/4 to 1/2 oz bucktail or a noisy topwater chugger style plug is all that's needed.

Most of that area is posted so you'll have to pick and choose your spots... Long casts straight off the seawalls, allow buctails (or anything similar) to sink then work slowly with the occasional sharp twitch... Topwater is completely different - toss the lure as far as you can and just raise cane with it.... If you're not getting bit go somewhere else. If you get one lady to bite you're in business and they'll literally wear you out....
    You can also count on the occasional big jack (very big jacks up there in winter) and small bluefish on good days.

Your only problem will be that if you keep ladies you'll find that they don't freeze well.... We use tons of ladyfish in the 'Glades (live, dead, little pieces and great big chunks) and never try to use anything but bait we caught that day....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Posts: 9,612 Admiral
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    snakehead?

Snakehead is great bait for daytime swording.
  • Jason_TightLineJason_TightLine Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    In regards to not freezing well, if i brined them and then vacuum sealed them they should freeze well then, right? I know we do the same thing for mullet and they last forever...
    lemaymiami wrote: »
    Tons of ladies (and big ones) in the ICW north and south of downtown Palm Beach in winter. Years ago we used to safari up there to fish the seawalls at dawn or dusk. All that's needed is a good pair of running shoes since you'll need to cover some ground with a single spin or plug rod (or a fly rod if you're adventurous) armed with a 1/4 to 1/2 oz bucktail or a noisy topwater chugger style plug is all that's needed.

Most of that area is posted so you'll have to pick and choose your spots... Long casts straight off the seawalls, allow buctails (or anything similar) to sink then work slowly with the occasional sharp twitch... Topwater is completely different - toss the lure as far as you can and just raise cane with it.... If you're not getting bit go somewhere else. If you get one lady to bite you're in business and they'll literally wear you out....
    You can also count on the occasional big jack (very big jacks up there in winter) and small bluefish on good days.

Your only problem will be that if you keep ladies you'll find that they don't freeze well.... We use tons of ladyfish in the 'Glades (live, dead, little pieces and great big chunks) and never try to use anything but bait we caught that day....
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,725 Captain
    Years and years ago I worked on quite a few chartermen as a mate. We rigged and preserved baits everyway you can think of back then but I never, ever did anything like that with ladies. I can tell you that they turn to mush if you just try to keep them overnight on ice so we've never had any incentive to go the brine route. They're so easy to catch, once you find them, that having a half dozen in the live well each day is a snap in the interior and coastal areas of the 'Glades where I am most days... Good Luck -I'd like to hear whether you're able to preserve them and get some use out of them.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666