Home Politics

along with back ground checks on 100% of all guns sold

CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
make ALL owners of handguns and guns with high capacity magazines have 1,000,000 in liability insurance

Replies

• phlatsphilphlatsphil Posts: 14,632 AG
    Cyclist wrote: »
    make ALL owners of handguns and guns with high capacity magazines have 1,000,000 in liability insurance

Interesting. Why not ALL owners of ALL guns? Why single out guns with high capacity magazines?

I seem to remember we Floridians passing a law that is supposed to hold liable the owner (read as parent or guardian) of any gun that a child finds and accidentally shoots self or sibling or friend. Since passing that law, we have seen a number of accidents. However, each time the prosecutors feel the family has suffered enough, no charges filed.

Sorry to derail. Back to requiring gun owners to have liability insurance. Won't there be resistance to it like there is to Obamacare insurance?

Oh, by the way, I would fully expect the NRA to oppose. They now oppose background checks.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    all guns would work

hunting arms would probably be cheaper to insure than high capacity guns and handguns
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    All parents must take out $100, 000, 000 liability insurance on their children. And it doubles when they start driving. Wait, I think that's all ready the case.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
    phlatsphil wrote: »
    Interesting. Why not ALL owners of ALL guns? Why single out guns with high capacity magazines?

I seem to remember we Floridians passing a law that is supposed to hold liable the owner (read as parent or guardian) of any gun that a child finds and accidentally shoots self or sibling or friend. Since passing that law, we have seen a number of accidents. However, each time the prosecutors feel the family has suffered enough, no charges filed.

Sorry to derail. Back to requiring gun owners to have liability insurance. Won't there be resistance to it like there is to Obamacare insurance?

Oh, by the way, I would fully expect the NRA to oppose. They now oppose background checks.

I remember that law, I think it's enforced as much as 10-20-life. (which if used is a great law)
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

cpr wrote: »
    All parents must take out $100, 000, 000 liability insurance on their children. And it doubles when they start driving. Wait, I think that's all ready the case.

Wow, now it's up to a hundred million. You're mean.
  • capt billcapt bill Posts: 4,035 Officer
    all guns would work

hunting arms would probably be cheaper to insure than high capacity guns and handguns

just because those are the guns you own you think you should be exempt? Do you really want insurance companies to have an even more monopolizing stronghold of power over us?

Ludicrous idea IMO
    attachment.php?attachmentid=58515&d=1353007399
    phlatsphil wrote: »
    Wow, not it's up to a hundred million. You're mean.

I got a 16 year old, car insurance feels that way.

• FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral

let me guess you want to also legalize drugs and replace the prison population with tax paying gun owners and make another law stating only liberals can sell gun insurance

kids dont go to college lots of $100 k a year police jobs to come
  • bullgatorbullgator Posts: 1,940 Officer
    Why not have EVERYONE be forced to take out a large policy to cover whatever harm or damage they may regardless of how they do the damage? Why be specific to firearms?
    cpr wrote: »
    I got a 16 year old, car insurance feels that way.

I hear ya.... been there, done that. Just poking at ya.
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    I thought liberals hated insurance companies
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 20,592 AG
    500,000 people are treated in the ER every year due to bicycle injuries. All bicyclists should be required to carry $100,000 liability insurance and all bikes should be taxed $2000 per year for use of the roads.
    500,000 people are treated in the ER every year due to bicycle injuries. All bicyclists should be required to carry $100,000 liability insurance and all bikes should be taxed $2000 per year for use of the roads.

Now you're talking!!

I remember when the federal government passed a law requiring lawn mowers have that safety handle cut-off.. you know, the one you can tie closed with a bungy cord or shop rag. Anyway, I read an OPED in response to that law that said more people are injured (broken arms, wrists, legs, ankles, knees, etc) playing church, corporate or civic sponsored softball than by lawnmowers.

All it takes is a wacko representative with some special interest backing and you'll get what you wish for.
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,746 AG
    Liability insurance protects you from being sued, not for injuring yourself.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 11,170 AG
    I'm sure the people shooting and killing others are really concerned about insurance.
    Warning Level 2
  • kayakjoekayakjoe Posts: 812 Officer

to what end??? what would be different in sandy hook right now if someone had liability insurance??

joe
    Always strive to never let your irresponsibility become someone else's responsibility
    once we worry more about our obligations and responsbilities and less about our rights and privileges the better things will be

search?q=ron+paul&view=detail&id=84496DDE8E08910A94413612B2779B745F2B8E58&first=0&FORM=IDFRIR
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 11,170 AG
    Intentional acts are excluded on insurance policies, by the way.
    Warning Level 2
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,511 AG
    kayakjoe wrote: »
    to what end??? what would be different in sandy hook right now if someone had liability insurance??

joe

Some **** lawyer would be taking a big payday to the bank. That's about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SuperFlukeSuperFluke Posts: 1,889 Captain

Wouldn't that be covered under health and ad&d policies most people already have... or at least fall under the liability policies already required for the vehicles that run over them?
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 20,592 AG
    SuperFluke wrote: »
    Wouldn't that be covered under health and ad&d policies most people already have... or at least fall under the liability policies already required for the vehicles that run over them?

Then we should ban bikes because requiring liability insurance hasn't reduced the number of ER trips. Thanks
  • Cyclist wrote: »

Cycle, did you put a lot of thought into that post or did it just come out like a fart?
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,511 AG
    Cycle, did you put a lot of thought into that post or did it just come out like a fart?

Neither. I think he left to go get some TP, was a little greasy. :grin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stsimonsstsimons Posts: 7,292 Admiral
    Biodiesel users should pay an additional tax because of the revenues lost resulting from not paying state and federal fuel taxes.
  • IndigoIndigo Posts: 969 Officer
    Illegal drug users should be required to have $100, 000, 000 liability insurance
  • CaptBobBryantCaptBobBryant Posts: 5,716 Officer
    Mister-Jr wrote: »
    Liability insurance protects you from being sued, not for injuring yourself.

Yes and there are limits to the level you can get, based on the situation...
    Also...anyone who insures themselve very much over their full net worth....is just making the insurer rich....

Leave it to Pete tp posit another silly idea to make insurers rich.
    National Association of Recreational Anglers - Add Your Voice
    https://www.facebook.com/RecAnglers?notif_t=page_new_likes
  • esteroestero Posts: 2,041 Captain
    That insurance stuff will go over big with the gangs, illegals, terrorists and criminals that now have any kind of gun. They will rush to buy their insurance.

Just because you’re  Offended  Doesn’t mean you right!

• lilwoodylilwoody Posts: 1,120 Officer
    I have a very good friend who raced STV boats. He was ranked 5th in the nation at one time. He quit after one of his best friends in the sport was killed, even with the F16 canopy on the boat. He started racing bicycles and ranked third in the nation in his over 40 category and suffered more injuries in bike racing and saw more injuries than he did in boat racing. BTW I carry a million dollar umbrella policy that covers me for any liability that my home owners doesn't.
    What it boils down to there spandex king is responsible people do responsible things and protect ourselves. So pack another bong and come up with some other hair brained, dope smoked idea.
    "Those who will trade freedom for security will have neither".