Home Politics

Gabrielle Giffords

Triple Threat 33TTriple Threat 33T Port CanaveralPosts: 18,669 Admin
First of all let me say that I have the utmost respect for her. I was horrified by what happened to her and I hope the individual that committed that crime pays for what he did to her as well as all of his other victims.

My question is, what was the purpose of having her get up and give a statement a day earlier at a Senate hearing on gun control? In reality, what does she bring to the table?

“Speaking is difficult but I need to say something important. This is an important conversation for our children, for our communities, for Democrats, and Republicans,” she said. “Violence is a big problem. Too many children are dying — too many children. We must do something. It will be hard. But the time is now. You must act. Be bold. Be courageous. Americans are counting on you.”

For some reason, parading her in front of the committee just doesn't sit right with me. Am I the only one that feels this way?
"Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."
«13

Replies

  • jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 1,930 Captain
    No your not. We discussed that around the coffee pot this morning.
    I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
    Herbert Bayard Swope
    US editor & journalist (1882 - 1958)
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    gun nuts gonna hate
  • phlatsphilphlatsphil Posts: 14,632 AG
    My question is, what was the purpose of having her get up and give a statement a day earlier at a Senate hearing on gun control? In reality, what does she bring to the table?

    Emotion.

    By the way, she wasn't invited to testify, but I think her husband was. She requested to be heard.
  • Triple Threat 33TTriple Threat 33T Port CanaveralPosts: 18,669 Admin
    Cyclist wrote: »
    gun nuts gonna hate

    What exactly do you mean by that Pete? I'm not a gun nut and I don't hate anyone. I asked some honest questions.

    What is the purpose of having someone that is obviously physically and mentally handicapped get up in front of this committee and attempt to speak?

    Answer me Pete, why was she paraded in front of these people?
    phlatsphil wrote: »
    Emotion.

    By the way, she wasn't invited to testify, but I think her husband was. She requested to be heard.

    News headline this morning, her husband says he was "proud" of her. Well, I'm proud of her too but what the hell does that have to do with anything? What did they expect him to say? Why is that a newsworthy quote?
    "Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    What exactly do you mean by that Pete? I'm not a gun nut and I don't hate anyone. I asked some honest questions.

    What is the purpose of having someone that is obviously physically and mentally handicapped get up in front of this committee and attempt to speak?

    Answer me Pete, why was she paraded in front of these people?



    News headline this morning, her husband says he was "proud" of her. Well, I'm proud of her too but what the hell does that have to do with anything? What did they expect him to say? Why is that a newsworthy quote?

    due to a gun
  • phlatsphilphlatsphil Posts: 14,632 AG
    Well, I'm proud of her too but what the hell does that have to do with anything?

    emotion
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,347 Admiral
    It is all about emotion. Playing on the emotions of others to get the results they are after. It is 100% agenda driven.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

    II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.



  • jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 1,930 Captain
    Cyclist wrote: »
    due to a gun

    due to a mentally deranged person
    I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
    Herbert Bayard Swope
    US editor & journalist (1882 - 1958)
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,752 AG
    As a victim of gun violence by a mentally ill person and member of Congress, I think she has every right to speak.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • Triple Threat 33TTriple Threat 33T Port CanaveralPosts: 18,669 Admin
    Cyclist wrote: »
    gun nuts gonna hate and due to a gun

    That's honestly the best you can do Pete? Seriously?
    "Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,347 Admiral
    Mister-Jr wrote: »
    As a victim of gun violence by a mentally ill person and member of Congress, I think she has every right to speak.

    But her rights do not supercede those of all the rest of us law abiding citizens. Get it?
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

    II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.



  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    Cyclist wrote: »
    gun nuts gonna hate

    that's rich you using the term hate when your a racist
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,752 AG
    Spineyman wrote: »
    But her rights do not supercede those of all the rest of us law abiding citizens. Get it?

    Not really. What are you talking about?
    Vote for the other candidate
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 20,592 AG
    Mister-Jr wrote: »
    As a victim of gun violence by a mentally ill person and member of Congress, I think she has every right to speak.

    Why? What makes her opinion more worthy of someone who has never suffered being a member of Congress?
  • phlatsphilphlatsphil Posts: 14,632 AG
    Spineyman wrote: »
    But her rights do not supersede those of all the rest of us law abiding citizens. Get it?

    No, I don't get your point at all. Did you request an audience? No one prevented you from requesting an opportunity to speak. Did you at least show up for the hearings and try to get in to testify?
  • capt billcapt bill Posts: 4,035 Officer
    Mister-Jr wrote: »
    As a victim of gun violence by a mentally ill person and member of Congress, I think she has every right to speak.

    Why dont we get people to speak there that are paralyzed due to being a victim of gun violence and brutality by a LEO? Oh yeah because it doesnt further their agenda...
    attachment.php?attachmentid=58515&d=1353007399
  • SuperFlukeSuperFluke Posts: 1,889 Captain
    So if someone with first hand experience isn't qualified to testify, who is?
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,752 AG
    Why? What makes her opinion more worthy of someone who has never suffered being a member of Congress?

    Did I say that?
    Vote for the other candidate
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    First of all let me say that I have the utmost respect for her.(I never heard of her before shooting, knew about her husband and brother I was horrified by what happened to her(Folks that we dont know get shot in the head everyday and violence can ruin gods good work and I hope the individual that committed that crime pays for what he did to her as well as all of his other victims.Nut cases, get special treatment..The guy that shot Reagan should have been excuited as this nutcase

    My question is, what was the purpose of having her get up and give a statement a day earlier at a Senate hearing on gun control? In reality, what does she bring to the table?(I have wondered this too, I dont want a bus driver that had a head shot and cant talk, why is she still voting...Not to be mean, with respect...he shot her computer all over a wall and she lived, I thing a medical discharge and a hold on her casting votes would have been approate

    “Speaking is difficult but I need to say something important. This is an important conversation for our children, for our communities, for Democrats, and Republicans,” she said. “Violence is a big problem. Too many children are dying — too many children. We must do something. It will be hard. But the time is now. You must act. Be bold. Be courageous. Americans are counting on you.”(Who writes the words that she speaks? is a public person that becomes a victim above questioning where did you get the words you are saying

    For some reason, parading her in front of the committee just doesn't sit right with me. Am I the only one that feels this way?

    It has never sat right with me after her shooting making public statments about politics...... Did you see my pal that suffered a head wound? Paul? He has lost a frontal lobe! these brain injuries remove parts of the organ..... They change how we are drasticly....
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,752 AG
    capt bill wrote: »
    Why dont we get people to speak there that are paralyzed due to being a victim of gun violence and brutality by a LEO? Oh yeah because it doesnt further their agenda...

    Generally, it's people like you that hurt the cause that are attempting to support.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • Triple Threat 33TTriple Threat 33T Port CanaveralPosts: 18,669 Admin
    Here's what I'm saying, I'm a relatively intelligent person, you wouldn't think so considering that I'm a moderator here but, I am.

    That being said, if you're trying to get me to agree with you on something, come to me with facts to substantiate your position. Give me specific reasons why I should agree and back up those reasons credible evidence that support your position.

    If, instead of doing that, you parade a mentally and physically handicapped person in front of me and the country to somehow gain the sympathy of others and pressure me to agree with your position, you've lost credibility. That would tell me you don't have any facts or credible evidence that would support your position so your only option is to resort to putting on a cross between a Jerry Springer show and a Jerry Lewis telethon.
    "Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,752 AG
    Here's what I'm saying, I'm a relatively intelligent person, you wouldn't think so considering that I'm a moderator here but, I am.

    That being said, if you're trying to get me to agree with you on something, come to me with facts to substantiate your position. Give me specific reasons why I should agree and back up those reasons credible evidence that support your position.

    If, instead of doing that, you parade a mentally and physically handicapped person in front of me and the country to somehow gain the sympathy of others and pressure me to agree with your position, you've lost credibility. That would tell me you don't have any facts or credible evidence that would support your position so your only option is to resort to putting on a cross between a Jerry Springer show and a Jerry Lewis telethon.

    Is it not a fact she was shot by a mentally ill person that should not have gun?
    Vote for the other candidate
  • capt billcapt bill Posts: 4,035 Officer
    Mister-Jr wrote: »
    Generally, it's people like you that hurt the cause that are attempting to support.

    My side doesnt take an unfortunate crisis and exploit it...nor do they play sympathy games. its not a debate of emotions and if that is how Obama needs to play his cards then in his own mind he already failed.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=58515&d=1353007399
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,347 Admiral
    Mister-Jr wrote: »
    Not really. What are you talking about?

    The same thing you are talking about. The Second Amendment. I am absolutely sorry she got shot but it no more makes her voice any stronger than any other American. They know for absolute fact they cannot pass an all out gun ban bill so they have to play to the choir for more people to dissent so they can do an end around. Plain and simple. there are currently more laws on the books than they can enforce now. But the bleeding heart liberals along with the ACLU have perverted our entire Justice system and rendered it useless to protect any one.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

    II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.



  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,347 Admiral
    Mister-Jr wrote: »
    Is it not a fact she was shot by a mentally ill person that should not have gun?

    It is an absolute fact, so don't render justice to the person who did the crime but rather make all of society pay. Your logic does not hold water.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

    II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.



  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,752 AG
    Spineyman wrote: »
    The same thing you are talking about. The Second Amendment. I am absolutely sorry she got shot but it no more makes her voice any stronger than any other American. They know for absolute fact they cannot pass an all out gun ban bill so they have to play to the choir for more people to dissent so they can do an end around. Plain and simple. there are currently more laws on the books than they can enforce now. But the bleeding heart liberals along with the ACLU have perverted our entire Justice system and rendered it useless to protect any one.

    I have not seen or heard anyone asking for all out gun ban.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    I would like to see a better class of democrat, one that isnt some form of victim...... Or some form of person that says they were discriminated apon.... One that is a leader of men....... Instead of the type that they have now, old women and frail men.

    I like Chuck Hagel.....Is he really a democrat?

    Like the tammy dunksworth, so what she got her legs blowen off, they act like that makes you some kind or orical, heck I almost lost a leg and I did some quick thinking!!!! Nobody from their party wants me to be a rep from chi town!

    spit in the bucket i say!
  • Triple Threat 33TTriple Threat 33T Port CanaveralPosts: 18,669 Admin
    Mister-Jr wrote: »
    Is it not a fact she was shot by a mentally ill person that should not have gun?

    While I'm intelligent, you're much more intelligent and I know for a fact you can do better than that.

    Of course it's a fact but there should be people there talking about the specifics and dissecting the proposal and examining every part of it and discussing why any of it should or should not be implemented, not putting on a pathetic and embarrassing show.
    "Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,347 Admiral
    Mister-Jr wrote: »
    I have not seen or heard anyone asking for all out gun ban.

    That is irrelevant, there should be zero guns banned period. Prosecute to the fullest extint of the law, as in if you kill someone with a gun and are caught for absolute sure redhanded. You will have two weeks to make it right with your maker because after that you are going to meet him. That would deter most non mental people from even thinking about doing something stupid with a gun. The problem is not the gun regardless of make model type or other. It is the person behind the gun period.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

    II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.



  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    Isnt getting part of your computer blowen out make you mentaly ill? It this going to turn into a work smith war.....Folks cant use the word **** anymore.....I just dont know what to call a van load of people from a group home wearing helmets.... I do speak up to special cart driver that I see at a local story in there shopping for her icecreams and say why do you leave them out in the hot and not get them this stuff....
Sign In or Register to comment.