Skip to main content
Home Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

WINDOWS 8 is POS

madashellmadashell Senior MemberWaterPosts: 816 Officer
What a worthless OS. :machinegun
I will hit the lottery...I will hit the lottery :crossed

Replies

• TriplecleanTripleclean Banned Posts: 6,570 Admiral
    OMG...And I need a new laptop and I think I going to have to buy used because I dont want 8!!!!!!!
  • MenziesMenzies Senior Member Jacksonville - Where Florida Begins!Posts: 19,289 AG
    Well. I must say when I bought my wife's new laptop recently, while I realized they had followed the "app" model, and I really did not like it and still don't, she is very comfortable with it.

I suspect it is such a departure from the previous Windows offerings that you need to hang with it a while before coming to a final judgement.
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Banned Posts: 6,570 Admiral
    I almost bought that new dell laptop that uses 8 with the fliparound touch screen.....I would like it for in the trucks and on the road....But I rough on computers outside and really only require the simplisest smallest lightest ones...
  • bswivbswiv Senior Member Posts: 8,475 Admiral
    Actually had Dr. PC here at the house migrating all my stuff to a new Windows 8 machine ( Lenovo ThinkPad t540.....which I can't really give any kind of a real review of yet. )last night. So far it does not seem all that difficult....or different.

According to the Dr. PC guy ( John, the owner.....nice folks. ) it is enabled to more easily handle touch, which I don't have.

He put Pisca on and Liber for writing and the rest is stock.

We'll see...........but then about all I do with the PC is write and a few pictures.
  • gerrysgerrys Senior Member Posts: 738 Officer
    madashell wrote: »
    What a worthless OS. :machinegun

What he said!!!!! X2:banghead
  • gmiller0737gmiller0737 Senior Member Jacksonville,Fl.Posts: 664 Officer
    I saw a Windows 8 PC in Best Buy & looked at it just to see what Windows 8 looked like I am a Mac user My 1st thought about Windows 8 was What Were They Thinking? what a silly looking interface no way I could use that.
  • ReefRocketReefRocket Senior Member Jacksonville BeachPosts: 987 Officer
    My 88 yr father wanted a new pc, I just order him a Samsung CromeBook. No software, uses google word, google excel, has wifi, stores data in the cloud. Did not have to purchase Student office $189 nor any virus software $75. It is small, 11.5 inch, but for surfing, buying a book from amazon, swappiing pictures on email, facebook, writting stores of his younger adult life (he can't remember much from yesterday)... hopefully it is $249 well invested....instead of a cheap $300 laptop and $189 and $75....He like the internet.

Will let you know how I like it and if he ever gets it.
    Bobby Riggins, 904-626-8407,
    REALTOR® AT EXIT REAL ESTATE GALLERY
    www.fl4sell.com
  • CrimsonGTCrimsonGT Junior Member Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    My boss just bought me a very expensive new laptop for work, but it came with Windows 8 pre-installed. I have tried to get used to it but as of now, I just keep it next to my bed to check forums on when going to sleep. I will probably just wipe it and setup Windows 7 on it soon so I can actually use it for work too.

Me and my roommate are planning to start a computer repair business in Jax Beach in the next few months. I really dread having to work on this POS operating system for customers. I have modified my own quite a bit to look like Windows 7 but really... did they have to scrap the start button!?
  • FlashFlash Senior Member Chiefland/Cedar KeyPosts: 12,492 AG
    OMG...And I need a new laptop and I think I going to have to buy used because I dont want 8!!!!!!!

Just got me a new Dell Desktop and was able to order it with 7.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • Orange'n'Blue SnapperOrange'n'Blue Snapper Senior Member Posts: 1,384 Officer
    I'll hook you guys up with a bootlegged version of Windows 95 and I'll even throw in a free 30 days subscription to to either Prodigy, Compuserve or AOL. I'll just need your name, address, SS#, a valid credit card number, keys to your boat, and birthdate so I know where to send the floppy discs.

Any takers?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JaxNoleJaxNole Senior Member St. Augustine, FLPosts: 1,705 Captain
    I posted a link above that will explain how to make 8 look and feel like 7.
  • Optimum7Optimum7 Senior Member Orange Park, FL, for now we move like gypsiesPosts: 351 Deckhand
    thats right where is my "start" button:shrug
  • MenziesMenzies Senior Member Jacksonville - Where Florida Begins!Posts: 19,289 AG
    Optimum7 wrote: »
    thats right where is my "start" button:shrug

You don't need it - everything is at the landing screen, just scroll to the right, and to the right, and to the right...
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • monoxidemonoxide Senior Member Posts: 1,094 Officer
    I was gonna try it by just seting my laptop up as a dual boot and try it if I don't like it uninstall and back to 7 it is
    ted.gif
    ted.gif
  • CrimsonGTCrimsonGT Junior Member Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    I found this a few days ago and it works pretty well. Might be worth using for those that plan on keeping Windows 8 and hate it.

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/software-and-web-apps/how-to-make-windows-8-look-like-windows-7-50009546/
  • yepuhuhyepuhuh Senior Member Posts: 169 Officer
    I didn't know you could spell winders........