Home Politics

History of the Longbow

cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
History of the Longbow
History of the English Longbow

The English Archery Law of the 13th century ensured that English men would be come experts with the bow and arrow. In 1252 the ‘Assize of Arms’ ensured that all Englishmen were ordered, by law, that every man between the age of 15 to 60 years old should equip themselves with a bow and arrows. The Plantagenet King Edward III took this further and decreed the Archery Law in 1363 which commanded the obligatory practice of archery on Sundays and holidays! The Archery Law “forbade, on pain of death, all sport that took up time better spent on war training especially archery practise”. King Henry I later proclaimed that an archer would be absolved of murder, if he killed a man during archery practise! The victories over the French at Crecy, Agincourt and Poitiers were directly due to the expertise of English archers and the longbow. Skill in the use of the longbow took considerable time. The English invested in the time required – the French did not. Up to this point the skills and weapons used by a Knight were deemed to be worth 10 ordinary soldiers – hence the French reaction to defeats by the common peasant.

Imagine if our government had a law demanding we own firearms and be proficient in their use.
"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr

Replies

• cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    The English longbow was the best weapon of its time. The crossbow was weaker and slower than the longbow, with only 2-3 shots a minute while an experienced longbowman could loose 20 shots per minute. In effect, the longbow was a medieval machine gun. The longbow was also stronger than a regular bow, due to its length, and the cured yew it was made of.

Some things never change.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

• navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,511 AG
    We can fix that. We'll ban quivers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    navigator2 wrote: »
    We can fix that. We'll ban quivers.

:rotflmao
    I think the french proposed that.

• Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    Sounds good to me, but they are a bit difficult to conceal .
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • dstockwelldstockwell Posts: 13,813 AG
    cpr wrote: »
    all Englishmen were ordered, by law, that every man between the age of 15 to 60 years old should equip themselves with a bow and arrows.

Huge difference between order and right.
    It is not the responsibility of the United States to solve the problems of other countries.
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,511 AG
    Imagine if our government had a law demanding we own firearms and be proficient in their use.

Maybe they had Chubs in mind for longbow requirements, for you know, making up for that lack of manhood. He certainly is obsessed with symbolic phallic symbols. :grin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PhishbohnPhishbohn Posts: 2,981 Captain
    I prefer rendering illegal all forms of projectile weaponry to a rapier and some fencing lessons.

En garde! You English Pig Dog!
    Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face. - Mike Tyson.
  • T HowardT Howard Posts: 1,658 Captain
    Kennesaw, Ga ordinance [Sec 34-21][19]

(a) In order to provide for the emergency management of the city, and further in order to provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants, every head of household residing in the city limits is required to maintain a firearm, together with ammunition therefore.
    (b)Exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who suffer a physical or mental disability which would prohibit them from using such a firearm. Further exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who are paupers or who conscientiously oppose maintaining firearms as a result of beliefs or religious doctrine, or persons convicted of a felony.
  • Phishbohn wrote: »
    I prefer rendering illegal all forms of projectile weaponry to a rapier and some fencing lessons.

En garde! You English Pig Dog!

Actually that is genius. But you didn't take it far enough. Guns arrows and rocks allow for an insulating creation of distance .

People fear getting stabbed or shot with arrows worse than being gunshot.

Make people fight with knives. Make them get in close and get cut and bloody and there would be far less crime.

Fighting only with knives would end war.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • dstockwelldstockwell Posts: 13,813 AG
    T Howard wrote: »
    Kennesaw, Ga ordinance [Sec 34-21][19]

(a) In order to provide for the emergency management of the city, and further in order to provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants, every head of household residing in the city limits is required to maintain a firearm, together with ammunition therefore.
    (b)Exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who suffer a physical or mental disability which would prohibit them from using such a firearm. Further exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who are paupers or who conscientiously oppose maintaining firearms as a result of beliefs or religious doctrine, or persons convicted of a felony.

No way they can enforce this...
    It is not the responsibility of the United States to solve the problems of other countries.
  • heathenheathen Posts: 7,080 Officer
    Actually that is genius. But you didn't take it far enough. Guns arrows and rocks allow for an insulating creation of distance .

People fear getting stabbed or shot with arrows worse than being gunshot.

Make people fight with knives. Make them get in close and get cut and bloody and there would be far less crime.

Fighting only with knives would end war.

yup. someone with a gun could miss. someone with a knife never misses.

i also noted during fencing that absolutely no one wanted that point around their eyes.
    they'd flinch when the foil hit the mask, a foul was noted and then a feint and a point scored. :grin
  • TightLine904TightLine904 Posts: 409 Officer
    heathen wrote: »
    yup. someone with a gun could miss. someone with a knife never misses.
    Wanna bet?Come at me with a knife and prove it.
  • Wanna bet?Come at me with a knife and prove it.

I can put a knife in you in a dead run at 20 feet before you can pull your pistol out of its holster.

I can put a knife in you in a dead run at 20 feet before you can pull your pistol out of its holster.
    Who said anything about a pistol?Or any firearm for that matter?
  • brentsumbrentsum Posts: 1,618 Captain

I'd buy a ticket and popcorn to watch that. :Popcorn
    Who said anything about a pistol?Or any firearm for that matter?

so now you're gonna claim you have supernatural powers. :rotflmao
  • Who said anything about a pistol?Or any firearm for that matter?

Even easier.

so now you're gonna claim you have supernatural powers. :rotflmao
    Nope,but I know what training I have had and know I can stop an assailant with a knife.
    sure. sure. :grin
    sure. sure. :grin
    I'll supply the rubber training knife if you would like to try me.:grin
    you'll lose. :grin
    you'll lose. :grin
    Put your money where your mouth is?I've got 2k that says I get the knife from you and have you on your back and the blade against your throat before you even realized it happened.:idiot
    sure you can, keyboard commando. i got a pocket full of skittles that says you can't. :grin
    sure you can, keyboard commando. i got a pocket full of skittles that says you can't. :grin
    That's what I thought.Just remember,and I know this lesson well,never underestimate who you are screwing with.
    and you shouldn't. you will lose. :grin
    and you shouldn't. you will lose. :grin
    :rolleyes
  • old thompsonold thompson Posts: 6,497 Officer
    :grin

Careful Tightline, heathen is an experienced rubber knifer!

Careful Tightline, heathen is an experienced rubber knifer!

I'm worried.:cry
  • esteroestero Posts: 2,041 Captain
    This fight could be on ESPN. Millions would want to watch.

:crowd

Just because you’re  Offended  Doesn’t mean you right!