Home Politics

Senate Judiciary Committee Meeting 30 JAN2013 - Gun Violence

rodzrodz Posts: 668 Officer
Here's may take from watching the hearing.

We can keep our guns.
There will be background checks for everything sold.
Mental health records will be part of background checks.
High capacity magazine no more - 10 or less rounds.
More federal prosecution for violators.
Feinsteins bill will pass but slight modification.

Feinstein thinks Wayne is looking good. :hairraiser

Felt sorrow for the girl scout group cut in half due to Newtown shooting.

:USA

Replies

• JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,969 Captain
    Hearing are still going on :blowkiss My take> NOTHING was learned

The left ask their eyewitness (panel) questions that we knew the answer too already
    The Right did the same thing with their side of the Panel..

There is no perfect solution but what we know is that Mental health needs to be revisited...
    everything else was smoke-screen feel good type of words... like trying to pass a new
    AWB that didnt work the first time around.. :willynilly
    aa13.gif"A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
  • capt billcapt bill Posts: 4,035 Officer
    why 10 rounds? Where is the research behind it? The reasoning behind it? why not 11 or 12 or 17? Oh thats right because 10 is closer to ZERO. These liberals come up with the biggest hock of crap to brainwash the people with

"yeah we limited the good guys to 10 rounds, that will stop criminals from conducting mass shootings!" Are you kidding me?
    attachment.php?attachmentid=58515&d=1353007399
  • rodzrodz Posts: 668 Officer
    10 rounds was discussed to give victims a chance during mass shootings.
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,511 AG
    rodz wrote: »
    Here's may take from watching the hearing.

We can keep our guns.
    There will be background checks for everything sold.
    Mental health records will be part of background checks.
    High capacity magazine no more - 10 or less rounds.
    More federal prosecution for violators.
    Feinsteins bill will pass but slight modification.

Feinstein thinks Wayne is looking good. :hairraiser

Felt sorrow for the girl scout group cut in half due to Newtown shooting.

:USA

Then there's that dirty little detail called HIPPA.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    HIPPA is not a constitutional right, it's a law that can be changed or readjusted. Also in the application you might have to wave your right of medical privacy in order to buy a gun.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
    10 rounds was discussed to give victims a chance during mass shootings.

Where is the research, data, real reasoning behind it? A criminal will still be able to grab a p-mag or beta-c-mag, it gives the disadvantage to the law abiding citizen. Thats all this law does. There is no real reasoning behind it, it is not a solution to stop mass shootings. So instead of solving the problem you just want to attempt to slightly slow it down which isnt even a guarantee? No testing behind it, no facts, no nothing. Just guesses and anti-gun assumptions from people who have never even shot a gun. Thats the most asinine reasoning I have ever heard
  • phlatsphilphlatsphil Posts: 14,632 AG
    capt bill wrote: »
    why 10 rounds? Where is the research behind it? The reasoning behind it? why not 11 or 12 or 17? Oh thats right because 10 is closer to ZERO. These liberals come up with the biggest hock of crap to brainwash the people with

"yeah we limited the good guys to 10 rounds, that will stop criminals from conducting mass shootings!" Are you kidding me?

Pressure from the NRA put a halt to federal spending on gun violence research.

A political fight over firearms research has waxed and waned for years. Public health researchers began digging into gun violence in the late 1980s as homicides surged. By 1996, the NRA and allies had concluded that the work was producing "anti-gun propaganda."

Congress in 1996 nearly cut the CDC budget by $2.6 million, the amount the agency spent on firearms research at the time, researchers say. The funds were later restored, but a restriction was added to the budget and remains.

"None of the funds made available for injury prevention and control at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention may be used to advocate or promote gun control," the budget read.

I googled it and huffpost got the first hit. So because it's from a liberal news outlet, it just can't be true.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/10/nra-gun-safety_n_2449591.html
    cpr wrote: »
    HIPPA is not a constitutional right, it's a law that can be changed or readjusted. Also in the application you might have to wave your right of medical privacy in order to buy a gun.

No argument from me there. I always though HIPPA is more bureaucratic overkill to begin with, ranking just below ADA.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "None of the funds made available for injury prevention and control at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention may be used to advocate or promote gun control," the budget read.

What's wrong with that? The CDC should be political neutral.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

phlatsphil wrote: »
    Pressure from the NRA put a halt to federal spending on gun violence research.

A political fight over firearms research has waxed and waned for years. Public health researchers began digging into gun violence in the late 1980s as homicides surged. By 1996, the NRA and allies had concluded that the work was producing "anti-gun propaganda."

Congress in 1996 nearly cut the CDC budget by $2.6 million, the amount the agency spent on firearms research at the time, researchers say. The funds were later restored, but a restriction was added to the budget and remains.

I googled it and huffpost got the first hit. So because it's from a liberal news outlet, it just can't be true.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/10/nra-gun-safety_n_2449591.html

Its just a poor excuse for no research. If Obama really wanted to prevent mass shootings he and everyone else would know research into this problem is a necessity instead there is not a single mention of such a thing. Once again "feel good" legislation with no rational backing. Its really not that hard or slow to change out a magazine....thats if the criminals decide to follow the law and as we know, thats why they are criminals...because they dont follow the law
    navigator2 wrote: »
    No argument from me there. I always though HIPPA is more bureaucratic overkill to begin with, ranking just below ADA.

It's a hindrance in many cases.

• dstockwelldstockwell Posts: 13,813 AG
    No matter the issue, Congressional members never want to hear the other side in their quests.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., has already introduced legislation taking similar steps to Obama's proposals.

The California Democrat on Tuesday said she will hold her own hearing on gun control because she was unhappy that three of the five witnesses testifying Wednesday are "skewed against us."
    It is not the responsibility of the United States to solve the problems of other countries.
    three of the five witnesses testifying Wednesday are "skewed against us."

Let me translate that for her:

"We are taking matters into our own hands because 60% of the country think we are batsh*t crazy". :grin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    As for gun control, in the very near future, 5 years max, cities will have street video surveillance with facial recognition and be able to track killers. Police cars are now being equipped w/license plate readers. Big brother will stop much of the violence. Maybe hoodies will be outlawed.

As for gun control, in the very near future, 5 years max, cities will have street video surveillance with facial recognition and be able to track killers. Police cars are now being equipped w/license plate readers. Big brother will stop much of the violence. Maybe hoodies will be outlawed.

Time to repeal the patriot act...where has Obama been for that? We need to give Americans back their privacy, these red light cameras are getting out of hand and unnecessary. If anything they cause more accidents from stopping short

Funny you mention that. Prior to 9/11, I had some stock in a company who was making just this for airports. Two weeks after the attack, that stock jumped from a penny stock under 1.50 to just over $15. It's not a new idea. Sorry for the derail, but that struck a chord. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Its really not that hard or slow to change out a magazine....

This is when Tucson shooter was taken down - during reloading.

how about the virginia tech shooting? The guy fired over 170 rounds through a single pistol...reloading didnt slow him down at all
  • chumcrazychumcrazy Posts: 862 Officer

Shooting people is illegal. Why do you think this law would change anything? Do you think when someone decides to do a mass shooting they check the laws? Defending the 10 rounds or less is pretty stupid.
    "Obama hands out $5M a day like it's pocket change. He doesn't need the Donald's money to be generous, he has yours." -Mister-Jr
    how about the virginia tech shooting? The guy fired over 170 rounds through a single pistol...reloading didnt slow him down at all

. . . and didn't the Columbine shooters have a 100 round magazine that jammed?

The hearing also stated that about 70% of US gun murders were by pistol with the mass being semi autos, 18% by other and a smaller percentage by rifle.
    . . . and didn't the Columbine shooters have a 100 round magazine that jammed?

The hearing also stated that about 70% of US gun murders were by pistol with the mass being semi autos, 18% by other and a smaller percentage by rifle.

There was no 100 round magazine used. In fact the browning hi-point used only had 10 round mag capacity and 96 rounds were put through it
    "On April 20, Harris was equipped with a 12-gauge Savage-Springfield 67H pump-action shotgun, (which he discharged a total of 25 times) and a Hi-Point 995 Carbine 9 mm carbine with thirteen 10-round magazines, which he fired a total of 96 times.
    Klebold was equipped with a 9 mm Intratec TEC-9 semi-automatic handgun with one 52-, one 32-, and one 28-round magazine and a 12-gauge Stevens 311D double-barreled sawed-off shotgun. Klebold primarily fired the TEC-9 handgun, for a total of 55 times."

So as we see here, the 10 round capacity myth has already failed in the past
    chumcrazy wrote: »
    Shooting people is illegal. Why do you think this law would change anything? Do you think when someone decides to do a mass shooting they check the laws? Defending the 10 rounds or less is pretty stupid.

Personally I don't see it doing a considerable amount of good. Now a good ole Middle Eastern punishment style would have a more far reaching impact. Usually when these shooters collect weaponry to carry out their mission they want the most firepower - high capacity mags are the solution.

I don't understand why every US citizen should be given Class III weaponry - because you just never know . . . :huh
    I mean the 2nd Amendment is in regards to a tyrannical government - in this case the citizens are dramatically under weaponized.
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    I don't understand why every US citizen should be given Class III weaponry...........

This statement is incorrect, "every US citizen" isn't "given" and isn't able to purchase "Class III weaponry." Do you even know what you are talking about? No? I didn't think so.
  • White DogWhite Dog Posts: 5,343 Officer
    "Nobody's going to take your guns away you stupid right wingers."

Yeah, Ok.
    The White Dog.........R.I.P..........1996 - June 2nd, 2011
    This statement is incorrect, "every US citizen" isn't "given" and isn't able to purchase "Class III weaponry." Do you even know what you are talking about? No? I didn't think so.

No, the statement is correct as written. I don't know the qualifiers for Class III permitting, please do elaborate.
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,969 Captain
    How many times have 100rd mags been used in mass shooting??... they are nothing more but POS items
    most will jam in a heartbeat..

Va shooter had the highest body count (School shooting) and he did with two handguns and standard mags... but he carry 20 of them
    oh one of the guns was a .22 cal pistol..

They keep throwing around Heavy Caliber assault rifle> the evil AR15 and most people that have no clue believe that all these
    guns are automatic machine guns :banghead

A 223 cal isnt a Heavy caliber by no means, it just high power .22 and that it...Heck i believe in some states you can't even hunt deer
    with it...

And yes i did use a M16 while i was in the MARINE CORPS... but there's a reason why guys would rather use a 308 then a 5.56 in the service..
    i was one of them...

Here's another fact that the left/media won't talk about

in the last 20yrs U.S. violent crime and murder rate have both dropped 49%... In 1994 we had 192M Firemarm purchase/ in 09 we had
    310M firearm purchase... (again this is FBI data not a right wing site)

So common sense would tell you that gun ownership has gone up and Crime overall has gone down... well except for Chicago which has
    one of the toughest gun regulations in the USA... and the most Murders ....hmmmmmm something doesnt add up :huh
    aa13.gif"A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    No, the statement is correct as written. I don't know the qualifiers for Class III permitting, please do elaborate.

Sorry, you are incorrect. It is not correct as written. I suggest you take a moment and familiarize your self with access to Class III weapons before you look any sillier than you already do, since you admitted not knowing. I an not in the position to educate you. Please educate yourself before snapping off more silly statements. Bottomline of you want to own ONE "gangster gun" you can but contemporary firearms are restricted to LEO and military.
  • T HowardT Howard Posts: 1,658 Captain
    Jettypark wrote: »
    Va shooter had the highest body count (School shooting)
    Actually, the highest body count at a school was a bombing in 1927
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 20,592 AG
    Faith based science....strange bedfellows...