Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Southern Authors

The news on this forum about the passing of Ferrol Sams lead me to think about some of my favorite southern authors. Last summer I came across my copy's of Robert Ruark's Old man and the Boy and the Old Man's Boy Grows Older. I first read these when I was a teenager and few books were more fun nor left as much of an impression on me reading about hunting and fishing while growing up in rural South Carolina during the depression. The second book takes the reader to bird and big game hunting in Africa in the 1950's and his wit and writing is terrific. His description of shooting crocodiles with a .243 is remarkable. He was a best selling fiction writer as well, his books have been out of print for decades, anyone else familiar with his work? I would think any outdoors man would enjoy is work and us southerners can relate just as we did for Ferrol Sams.

Replies

• RhettleyRhettley Posts: 1,545 Officer
    Old man and the Boy is one of my favorites. I haven't read Old Man's Boy Grows Older yet but I will be getting a hard cover of this one soon to read and keep on the shelf.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,333 Admiral
    The old man and the boy is my favorite book. Every outdoorsman and women should read it and read it to a youngster. I can't say enough about how wonderful of a read it is. I'm looking forward to reading the next one as soon as I finish Land Remembered( another excellent book)
    You should have been here yesterday
  • tk's joytk's joy Posts: 2,490 Officer
    How about Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings. She wasn't born in the South, but lived in FL for many years and wrote about it "The Yearling" and others.
  • trout069trout069 Posts: 5,079 Admiral
    Newer writer is Terry Kay,The Valley Of Light good read.Some may not consider him southern,as he is from south florida,but Carl Hiaasen.He misses old florida the way i miss the old low country.And Gov Tyree must still be around,where else would all those crocs in keys canals be coming from?
  • ducknfishducknfish Posts: 3,821 Officer
    Hiassen is a favorite as is Randy Wayne White. Try David M Newell The Trouble of it is and IF nothin dont happen, if you want to old school.
    I've recently read several by NC author John Hart, exceptional.
  • trout069trout069 Posts: 5,079 Admiral
    will have to pick up John Hart.thought Kay was from NC.just looked he is a northeast ga .
  • BayBobBayBob Posts: 865 Officer
    Had a speech class in high school and we had to memorize a long speech and I choose a chapter from The Old Man's Boy Grows Older about an African lion hunt, one of the funniest things I've ever read. Got lots of laughs and A for it. Wm Faulkner and Harper Lee would be near the top of a southern writers list, we have some great ones down here.
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    We had a Southern Lady author come thru the resturant writing a book about north georgia food...... I ll find out here name.