Skip to main content
Home Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

St Augustine Data Bouy - Lost funding

Sky KingSky King Senior MemberJacksonville, FLPosts: 320 Deckhand
Came across this today regarding the St. Augustine Data Bouy:

DUE TO LACK OF FUNDS, NDBC BUOY 41012,
OFFSHORE ST. AUGUSTINE, FLORIDA, IS NO LONGER SUPPORTED
EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY

In other words, when it fails it won't be fixed . The details are in the link below.

Since we cant' keep the fish, I guess they don't think we need the bouy.........

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=jax&storyid=91896&source=0

Please send you comments/concerns to your respective federal/state representatives.

David
Signature3.jpg

Replies

• PhinaticalPhinatical Senior Member Middleburg, FLPosts: 864 Officer
    That blows. I use that thing all the time.
  • troutdigglertroutdiggler Senior Member Posts: 399 Deckhand
    They figure they don't need it anymore because their predictions are always so spot on.
    Trout

• ledslinger29ledslinger29 Senior Member Posts: 837 Officer
    ****. This is bad news. Did you make it to the meeting tonight Donny?
  • mikeg32225mikeg32225 Senior Member Posts: 567 Officer
    Another nail in the offshore fishing coffin.
    I depend of that buoy.
    Mike
  • Captain FatboyCaptain Fatboy Junior Member Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    To Quote "THE ANNUAL COST TO OPERATE THIS BUOY IS ABOUT $60,000, PLUS U.S.
    COAST GUARD SUPPORT TO SERVICE IT."
    Annual cost for Coast Guard to rescue boats and crew at sea due to lack of accurate sea conditions? I've heard them estimate that one single rescue cost about $40,000. Us dollars per vessel. :huh
  • mmoshmmosh Member Posts: 44 Deckhand
    If they had asked, I'd have sent them $20.
  • Scout3Scout3 Senior Member Posts: 154 Deckhand
    Just wait, if Congress doesn't pass a budget and sequestration kicks in. Parks will close, civilians, contractors, and temps laid off. Contracts cancelled. The only good thing is maybe no offshore regulation enforcement so we can catch all the snapper we want.
    I'd have sent them 40...
  • buddybarnesmarineservicesbuddybarnesmarineservices Senior Member Ponte Vedra Bch FLPosts: 136 Officer
    Dont be surprised if rec gps is gone in the near future, great government isnt it.
  • bro schrobro schro Senior Member Saint AugustinePosts: 773 Officer
    it will be up until it brakes
    It still sucks.
    I'll volunteer to maintain it for 20K.
  • Sky KingSky King Senior Member Jacksonville, FLPosts: 320 Deckhand
    bro schro wrote: »
    it will be up until it brakes

I remember several years ago when it "failed" multiple times after back to back to back NE blows. We will see how long it lasts.

David
    Signature3.jpg
  • capciofficapcioffi Senior Member Fleming IslandPosts: 846 Officer
    Sounds like a good business opportunity. Someone needs to buy the buoy from the Government (who is not going to be using it) put it out out there and charge a fee to use it. Between all the fisherman, surfers and surfing industry, shipping industry, private boaters, Universities that use the information for studies, weather channels that want to dramatize the wave height, and others. I can see some making money possibilities. You could sale space on the buoy to individuals, companies, or Universities that want to put no certain instrument for recording data. The public can do it with out the government, question will be will the government allow us to do it.
  • stokesstokes Senior Member HoodlumvillePosts: 324 Deckhand
    capcioffi wrote: »
    Sounds like a good business opportunity. Someone needs to buy the buoy from the Government (who is not going to be using it) put it out out there and charge a fee to use it. Between all the fisherman, surfers and surfing industry, shipping industry, private boaters, Universities that use the information for studies, weather channels that want to dramatize the wave height, and others. I can see some making money possibilities. You could sale space on the buoy to individuals, companies, or Universities that want to put no certain instrument for recording data. The public can do it with out the government, question will be will the government allow us to do it.

^this is interesting and thought-provoking.

like a monthly subscription service
  • toshotosho Senior Member Posts: 210 Officer
    So the dictators cant afford to maintain this very helpful piece of equipment but they can run a ship around checking fishing license's at a cost of 2500 dollars an hour?
  • Sky KingSky King Senior Member Jacksonville, FLPosts: 320 Deckhand
    For those interested in trying to save the bouy, please use this e-mail message or create your own and send to our Federal representatives. It only takes a couple of minutes. I posted the e-mail links below the note. Just copy and paste.

Thanks,

David

USCG Reports Jacksonville Fishermen Over Due! Your attention and clout as one of Florida's elected representatives may help to prevent that headline. The expired funding for NOAA National Data Bouy St. Augustine Station # 41012 could make that headline a reality.

St. Augustine Buoy Station 41012 is located approximately 40 nautical miles east northeast of St. Augustine, Florida. This bouy is one of only two North East Florida bouys providing ocean wind, sea height, sea temperature and Search and Rescue data. This bouy is utilized by recreational boaters, recreational fishermen, commercial fisherman, commercial marine operations, NWS Forecasters and government agencies involved in marine safety and enforcement operations. The data provided by this bouy directly assists mariners in making decisions regarding personal safety.

The economic impact of recreational boaters, recreational fishermen, commercial fisherman, and commercial marine operations who rely on St. Augustine Bouy Station # 41012 data is enormous! The economic implications of NWS Forecast accuracy and potential increased costs of government agencies involved in marine safety and enforcement operations is huge! The annual operating cost of $60,000 for the bouy as quoted in NDB's Service Change Notice 13-2 is small relative to the potential economic impact of not having the data available.

Please use your influence and clout as one of Florida' elected Representatives to restore funding to this bouy.

Sincerely,

XXXX
    Recreational Fisherman and concerned Mariner.

Honorable Ander Crenshaw
    https://forms.house.gov/write/crenshaw/email-me.shtml

Honorable Corrine Brown
    https://forms.house.gov/corrinebrown/webforms/contact-me.shtml

Honorable Bill Nelson
    http://www.billnelson.senate.gov/contact/email.cfm

Honorable Marco Rubio
    http://www.rubio.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/contact
    Signature3.jpg
  • mmoshmmosh Member Posts: 44 Deckhand
    tried to send to your addresses, wouldn't go thru
  • chucks21capehorn+chucks21capehorn+ Senior Member Jacksonville, FLPosts: 518 Officer
    This really sucks that was the best source for how the weather is really doing off shore... next Obama with Tax toilet flushes