1-27 SLI Offshore Fishing Report

My cousin Erin and her boyfriend Bob came down from NC to visit for the day and there was an opening in the weather, so I offered to take them offshore. Neither of them has been offshore fishing, so everyone was very excited.

GOPR0003_zps3727688b.jpg

GOPR0008_zps04bfeb70.jpg

GOPR0009_zps20910b6e.jpg

GOPR0012_zpsb273b0d8.jpg

GOPR0016_zpsdf473efb.jpg

GOPR0018_zps843941fb.jpg

Plan was to clear the inlet and hit a few bait spots early and see what we could work up. I hit the NE bait spot, BS, and Shrimpers with nothing to show for it, so I decided to hit the troll. I worked a solid weed line in 50 ft. south of the inlet pretty heavy, but couldn’t scare anything up. Moved out to 150 ft and started to work north in scattered weeds.

GOPR0020_zpse8558fd0.jpg

Before long, bam knockdown and its Bob’s first dolphin!!!

GOPR0024_zps995bb586.jpg

Pretty soon after Erin hooks up.

GOPR0027_zps1d007716.jpg

I decide to switch it up and hit a few bottom spots as the wind kicked up a bit.

GOPR0032_zps9b88c8b2.jpg

We scoop up about 25 short Black Sea Bass.

GOPR0035_zps1cefc7b1.jpg

Lana hooks up looking for some snapper with her new rod.

GOPR0036_zpsd6599c54.jpg

GOPR0040_zpse438413f.jpg

She pulls in a nice size Lane Snapper.

GOPR0038_zps7b67777c.jpg

Some random shots.

GOPR0046_zps07c1ef23.jpg

GOPR0045_zps61ba1d1c.jpg

And of course the food shots.

GOPR0048_zpsefb92cf2.jpg

GOPR0049_zps8c414b15.jpg

GOPR0050_zps46d95f61.jpg
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• latitudeajustmentlatitudeajustment Posts: 2,001 Captain
    Sean way to go! I don't think anything else is better than turning on someone to some offshore fishing on a good day! IMHO you are right on spot posting those food **** pics as well-congrats to you and your crew!
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    Sean boy...

Cool pics.. and loved the way Lana uses her new pink rod.

Enjoyed lunch today buddy.

Cheers

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • flatsfisherflatsfisher Posts: 1,381 Officer
    nice job putting some of them on their firsts!
  • Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,782 Moderator
    Great report Sean!! Hopefully that fin put on a nice little show for the out of towners.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
  • ShoelessShoeless Posts: 2,108 Captain
    Pat
    Thx bud!! It wouldn't be a Shoeless report without the food **** :cool:

Eric
    Lunch was excellent bud. Be careful, don't call Lana's rod pink, she hunt you down:grin!!!!

flatsfisher
    Thank you Sir!!

Long
    Thank bud. We had a few good jumps out of them, you should have seen their excitement with their first catches!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Blue ChipBlue Chip Posts: 146 Deckhand
    Great Pics and looks like a great day had by all! Thanks for sharing!
  • FS BlairFS Blair Posts: 1,713 Admin
    Great report...from hook to table.
  • AlwaysforwardAlwaysforward Posts: 1,512 Captain
    Way to put them on some fish Sean. Thanks for the report :applause
    ALWAYSFORWARD, NEVER STRAIGHT...

Truckdecal-signature.jpg
  • LastMangoLastMango Posts: 4,574 Officer
    Nice day on the water there Sean... Did you measure that one Lane? We were catching them in the 18+ inch range a few weeks back, Skipper had one that was 22-24", but my long leader tangled in her's and the 5 seconds we paused to ponder how to clear it, the beastly Lane wiggled off... I'm still getting griped at by her on that! LOL
    attachment.php?attachmentid=131572&d=1399127702
  • Kill N TimeKill N Time Posts: 467 Deckhand
    Niiiiiiiiiiice food ****! I don't know how you guys get to fish so often. I can never seem to get off work when it is calm enough to head out the inlet! Oh well, at least I get to live the dream through those of you lucky to live it in real life. Nice report!
  • Dream RealityDream Reality Posts: 893 Officer
    Nice report. Nice and calm. Nice pictures. NIcE!!

I need to be schooled in weather.
    Blue Chip, FS Blair, and Jeff Thanks guys, it was a beautiful day to get out and put fish on the table.
    LastMango wrote: »
    Nice day on the water there Sean... Did you measure that one Lane? We were catching them in the 18+ inch range a few weeks back, Skipper had one that was 22-24", but my long leader tangled in her's and the 5 seconds we paused to ponder how to clear it, the beastly Lane wiggled off... I'm still getting griped at by her on that! LOL

Thanks Dave. Yea he was on the smaller size, but so is my fiancé so its a perfect meal for her:grin. I feel your pain, Lana would never let me live it down loosing a stout 22-24” snapper. :willynilly

Kill N Time This weekend was total chance that my cousin from Wisconsin was in town the weather cooperated. Feel free to live vicariously through us all. We are a big family here.

Dream Reality Thanks bud. Before any trip I hit a number of websites ranging from bouyweather, windfinder, lto the ive bouy in Ft. Pierce. If you would like some specific pointers send me a PM and I will walk you through my routine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dream Reality Thanks bud. Before any trip I hit a number of websites ranging from bouyweather, windfinder, lto the ive bouy in Ft. Pierce. If you would like some specific pointers send me a PM and I will walk you through my routine.[/QUOTE]

Ft pierce is as accurate as it gets IMO. Only problem is it doesn't forecast, it's real-time data, so you have to use all the different resources as Sean pointed out.

Here's the buoy, anyone ever fish it?
    http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=41114
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Shoeless, PM sent.

Did you expect flat seas or was it a surprise?
    Dream Reality
    I'll reply to that sometime tonight, short lunch break. I fully expected it to be nice out. The winds kicked up a bit by around 11:00 or so and got a bit wet on the run in.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PaulBoatPaulBoat Posts: 4,389 Officer
    Very nice Sean. Good work.

Sent from my Droid
    Shoeless wrote: »
    Dream Reality
    I'll reply to that sometime tonight, short lunch break. I fully expected it to be nice out. The winds kicked up a bit by around 11:00 or so and got a bit wet on the run in.

Ok, thank you.
  • Go MongoGo Mongo Posts: 2,107 Captain
    Great job Sean.
    The dinner looked amazing!
    “Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea
    Shoeless wrote: »
    Dream Reality

Thanks for the very informative PM!! Hey, so it's looking rough this weekend right? Wave heights are "very steep" do far. Spacing is 4 sec. So looks poopy for the weekend. When forecasts say north winds, does that mean FROM the north or TO the north?
    Thanks for the very informative PM!! Hey, so it's looking rough this weekend right? Wave heights are "very steep" do far. Spacing is 4 sec. So looks poopy for the weekend. When forecasts say north winds, does that mean FROM the north or TO the north?

"rough" is relative... I would go Sunday if I didn't already have plans.

When Windfinder says "wind direction NW," it means winds are coming from the NW direction. So if you threw a balloon in the air, it should travel SE. I had this same question when I just started reading weather forecasts. With a west wind, the surf cameras won't look too bad since the winds are pushing from shore to offshore. Cameras are mounted on land, so it should look relatively flat. Going out in a west wind will also be calmer since you're going with the wind, heading in from offshore on a west wind will be going against it, and that's when you'll have to throttle back.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• AlwaysforwardAlwaysforward Posts: 1,512 Captain
    At Windfinder you can click a button at the left and it changes the letters to arrows pointing in the direction the wind is blowing.
    ALWAYSFORWARD, NEVER STRAIGHT...

Truckdecal-signature.jpg
    "rough" is relative... I would go Sunday if I didn't already have plans.

Can you elaborate on your decision? Is it based on the wind on this weekend? Sorry for the dumb questions.

Jeff,

Thanks for the tip.

Luis
  • Lori Jo FishingLori Jo Fishing Posts: 666 Officer
    Nice bag of fish.