Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Navy Patrol Squadron VP-23

My Dad recently for the first time ever started passing down to me some items he holds dear...means an aweful lot to me. Here's a couple...

Zippo Lighter
With Navy Lockheed
P2V-7 Neptune VP-23
Brunswick, Maine 1956

312448_4550186187160_1086693499_n.jpg

Navy Patrol Squadron
VP-23
Keflavik , Iceland 1956
Personalized mug
Made in Germany

14983_4388380828477_957764663_n.jpg

29417_4174813123068_585069393_n.jpg
Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...

Replies

• TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    Cool stuff.... Ping Airdales and Brown Shoes!
    Any more pics????
  • BigfootBigfoot Posts: 9,383 Admiral
    Any more pics????

295411_4550703280087_155911575_n.jpg

A few gold rings he won for being Top Salesman at Kimberly Clark - he worked there 40 years

734262_4550705240136_216616452_n.jpg

542349_4550705600145_1241752184_n.jpg
    Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...
    I don't know what they call that blue color the Navy painted it aircraft back then....like the word haze grey...Whats that blue color.....I have always thought it was a beautful color. that deep dark blue.
    I don't know what they call that blue color the Navy painted it aircraft back then....like the word haze grey...Whats that blue color.....I have always thought it was a beautful color. that deep dark blue.

Don't know that one...mmmm.

I do know my Dad grew up poor and worked a paper route on foot as his first job. He always has told me "having a job" was a status symbol to him back then. He was proud to be able to help his family (he helped get his brother through Auburn). Joining the Navy was a big time move for him at that age. He was actually stationed in the Keys for sometime and laughs now at what land prices were then.

In saying all that, I am a blessed person for him as my Father - no doubt a do right person, hard working and the coolest guy I have ever known by far!!! I'm lucky he let me be all male and understands being male...he always always understood as long as no trouble was caused. Good times and chic gettin as he says is just part of the deal...

Signed: I made sure he made the FRAT house a time or two while it was ON.
    My Dad and Your Dad sound like guys cut from the same cloth, Mine was with a sqadron out of cherry point for a bit. They would like each other, bet we would get along fine too. My dad made me work so hard as a kid... I would work 60hours a week and go to High School, it made the Navy seem like a vacation everyday!
  • Old DogOld Dog Posts: 552 Officer
    BF, your dad and I have some things in common I was an airdale (aviation machinists mate) in the Navy and pulled maintenance on P2Vs at VT-31. Also served a "sentence" at NAVSTA Keflavik where I was a flight mech. on C-47s. The P2V had two powerful R-3350 engines (B-29s also used them for a time) and two jet engines, and it could stay up it seemed like forever.
    OD
    Whats that color called the beautiful blue....
  • UgahewesUgahewes Posts: 5,322 Admiral
    neat stuff
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Any idea on what kind of de-icing equipment those old birds had?

As in when they started to add those (little booster jet pods?) could you get bleed air off them to de-ice? It would seem to me that those engines would only be used in critical phases....seems that that would be where you would most likey want it? One thing I respect about pilots of that generation is that their equipment didnt get them the minimuns we get today... 1/2 mile 200 agl... who really cares what the weather is doing? we going....
  • dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 5,025 Admiral
    Whats that color called the beautiful blue....

Semi-Gloss Sea Blue or Insignia Blue.

FWIW, Real sailors live on a ship.
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
    dewyafish wrote: »
    Semi-Gloss Sea Blue or Insignia Blue.

FWIW, Real sailors live on a ship.

I wouldnt say that to Naval Aircrews......They are for sure real Airmen and better sailors to a women for man in the Coast Guard.

I'm a BM.

Semi-gloss Sea Blue or Insignia Blue??

I dont want the blue angle blue...... The old hellcat blue on the top...<that blue... I would like to know what blue the greasy side is called too?

Thanks.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 2,235 Captain
    Geeezzzz, Bigfoot! I must be about the same age as your Dad! I went into the Navy in '57 straight out of high school! Remember the old P2V Neptunes well, but I rode one of those "long grey pointy things" and was never around Airedales very much. Back in our generation you were obligated to serve a hitch in the military, but more importantly for Southern Country Boys the military was a way up to a better existance!
    Geeezzzz, Bigfoot! I must be about the same age as your Dad! I went into the Navy in '57 straight out of high school! Remember the old P2V Neptunes well, but I rode one of those "long grey pointy things" and was never around Airedales very much. Back in our generation you were obligated to serve a hitch in the military, but more importantly for Southern Country Boys the military was a way up to a better existance!

Here, Here.
    small world guys, great to hear some took this same path...

Dad got on with Eastern Airlines, then selling for American Chickle and finally ended at Kimberly Clark. His Navy days were big in helping him into these great companies...

I feel it an honor he wants me to have these items...
  • dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 5,025 Admiral
    ferris1248 wrote: »
    Eating steak and lobster.:rolleyes

Hey, It ain't my fault the Skipper cared for his crew...

Just funnin' with you wingnut types. I know the importance of the Naval Airmen in the grand scheme.
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
    ferris1248 wrote: »
    Eating steak and lobster.:rolleyes

I think that menu is for the pale,pasty, pig-boats and their coke bottle wearing crew...... Sub - Mariners.

I back it..... They aint got much else.
  • tk's joytk's joy Posts: 2,490 Officer
    Steak more than a few time, lobster maybe twice in 11 1/2 years and my last ship was a sub tender in Rota, and yes those guys ate good.
  • Old DogOld Dog Posts: 552 Officer
    When I joined the Navy at eighteen and got to my first squadron I was served some of the best food I had ever eaten. The variety and different ways the food was prepared was unlike anything I had experienced before. Even when one of my squadrons operated off a carrier for a time the chow was a lot better than I expected. Of course after a few days at sea the salad turned (we called it autumn salad), but the rest of the food was always excellent. And I never liked salad much anyway. Never ran into lobster, but at N.A.S. Key West on T.A.D., we got plenty of shrimp, and even rabbit once in a while.
    OD