Kayak fishing the Stick Marsh? Anyone try this? Any problems?

Concerned about the gators in there.

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,460 Moderator
    Gators are everywhere. Guess those are not much different than the rest.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • MSW_SatelliteBeachMSW_SatelliteBeach Posts: 212 Officer
    So I guess the question is better asked, what problems with gators can I/should I expect fishing from a kayak? Anything I can/should do to protect myself? Or am I worrying for no reason?
  • syd7792syd7792 Posts: 58 Deckhand
    My cousin and I kayak in his lake all the time and it is full of gators. I wouldnt worry to much about them. They are more scared of us then we are of them. If anything they will be curious and might lurk but I highly doubt that they will be aggressive towards you. If you are using a top water plug any they might follow it. Hopes this helps!
  • RiffRaffRiffRaff Posts: 42 Greenhorn
    wear an FSU shirt. Gators hate those. Seriously I would not worry about them.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,460 Moderator
    I wouldn't worry. Go catch some bass and post up a report .
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    Dont bring your dog:
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
  • mandaferretmandaferret Posts: 932 Officer
    As long as people are not feeding them you will be fine. In some of the wilderness ponds I fish from kayak you can't get within 30yds of them, but in some residential lakes they come right up to you.
  • LeeHLeeH Posts: 121 Officer
    This time of year gators are not a real problem the only time you really need to be concerned is late spring early summer which is their mating season, they get very territorial and aggresive along about then. I had one attempt to dry hump my Ultimate.
  • MSW_SatelliteBeachMSW_SatelliteBeach Posts: 212 Officer
    I don't know whether I'd be terrified of that or morbidly curious. Either way, I wouldn't want to be there for it.
    Thanks for the tip. I'm headed out that way in two weekends. Will post what I find/see.
  • RollinRollin Posts: 1,532 Captain
    I don't know whether I'd be terrified of that or morbidly curious. Either way, I wouldn't want to be there for it.
    Thanks for the tip. I'm headed out that way in two weekends. Will post what I find/see.

So how did it go man? Did you catch any fish?
  • GRIZZLGRIZZL Posts: 729 Officer
    Don't string your catch to the side of the yak. If you are keeping, have a bucket in the yak where blood/fluids don't escape. Bring a billy club like the salt water fishermen have for sharks if they get too close or use your paddle (could loose it if they latch onto it). Don't yak too close to shore (especially the land spit dam separating Stick Marsh from Farm 13. The gators fly off that spit when you approach and COULD jump right onto you and your boat.

Be prepared for bass boat wakes