Red Tide

Not sure but saw LOTS of dead mullet on the bottom today in 2-4 ft. of water. I caught fish on Monday and saw few today. I was in Southern PISound and San Carlos Bay.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Trust in the LORD and receive HIS many blessings....

Replies

• FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,808 Admiral
    ditto
  • Benzie RoverBenzie Rover Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    From the sounds of it the current red tide problems are unprecidented, so I am sure there are not a lot of good answers as to how bad it will get, but what are the general thoughts about this spring? Will it get worse as it warms up? Is there a chance it will go away between now and the beginning of April, or if it is here now, will it likely stick around?

Have any of the old timers witnessed anything like this?
  • swaptrexswaptrex Posts: 198 Deckhand
    It's badddd here in Sarasota, there were dead fish everywhere as far as we went out last weekend (about 5 miles).
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,301 Admiral
    Wasn't there a big release from lake O this summer?
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,373 Officer
    I've been fishing the SW coast for 35 years and seen many Red Tide out-brakes. It's always out there somewhere. But, usually in a dormant stage (less toxic). It's more typical in the summer when we have more rain. The rain water run-off transports nutrients to the Gulf and if the Red Tide is anywhere near, the nutrients basically fertilize the Red Tide and make it grow.

Winter time Red Tides are not the norm. The last one I remember was about 6 years ago and lasted about 3 months. Normally the Red Tide hangs around an area for one week up to one month. It basically floats with the currents, tides and wind.