Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

Port Everglades inlet for Tarpon

Can some of the local guys give me some direction where to locate Tarpon in the port everglades area? I am taking 2 young boys out Sunday and that is what they want to fish for. Any help would be really appreciated

Replies

• frankthetankfrankthetank Posts: 863 Officer
    friend of mine at the igfa said to that the biggest tarpon hes ever seen live in the port everglades area. ive seen them while diving on the shoal on the left coming out of the cut on a strong incoming, ive also seen plenty tarpon on the aerojacks early morning around sunrise down by the end where it meets the first reef that is is pretty hot in the morning and around the pier. if you fish in side the cut get a big slab of king fish or dolphin meat take about a 3ft section of #10wire with wa small 1oz to 1/2oz sinker on the wire, make a line to line connection to one end using and albright not and then attach a 6/0 to 10/0 circle hook to the other end using the haywire twist. this technique allows the meat to move in the currrent while the wire line stays on the bottom an undetectible. good luck
    :fishing
    OCEAN KAYAK: PROWLER 13
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    fresh, dead mullet head/chunk fished patiently on the bottom will work. I like to slow troll mullet, have caught them from the hot water canal, out both jettys, under the bridge, in front of Pier 66/Lauderdale marina, all the way up the new river, in short, they can be anywhere. The mouth of New River with a dead bait on the bottom would be my go to spot. BTW, all of this is at night, although they will bite during the day as well
    i gotta special spot that always holds tarpon but not telling or couple guys might beet me up. lol
  • Blue ChipBlue Chip Posts: 146 Deckhand
    We have slow trolled some pilchards along the jetty with some success. All fish were well over 100 Lbs
  • BeamerBeamer Posts: 113 Officer
    Thanks guys for your input. Tried working the jetty with no success and we tried working the inlet as well but did not raise any. We will keep at it and thanks again for your suggestions.
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    1) Buy cheeseburger from 15th street fisheries
    2) Hook WHOLE cheeseburger on 6/0 circle hook
    3) Cast whole cheeseburger near dock of lauderdale marina

I'm just kidding, but at night all of those tarpon that are fed leftovers at 15th street fisheries all scatter around the area. You can freeline baits into the current under the 17th street causeway and you will catch something. big jacks, tarpon, snook etc. Also as stated before on both sides of the jetty, you just need to let your baits into the current. The entire time you're on the water be sure to have a bait or at least a big x-rap behind the boat. Anywhere near PE holds **** and snook year round, you have to be ready!
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
    @zimmernole hilarious thats my secret spot, na just kidding.
  • area52area52 Posts: 519 Officer
    ZimmerNole wrote: »
    1) Buy cheeseburger from 15th street fisheries
    2) Hook WHOLE cheeseburger on 6/0 circle hook
    3) Cast whole cheeseburger near dock of lauderdale marina

I'm just kidding, but at night all of those tarpon that are fed leftovers at 15th street fisheries all scatter around the area. You can freeline baits into the current under the 17th street causeway and you will catch something. big jacks, tarpon, snook etc. Also as stated before on both sides of the jetty, you just need to let your baits into the current. The entire time you're on the water be sure to have a bait or at least a big x-rap behind the boat. Anywhere near PE holds **** and snook year round, you have to be ready!

Will McDonalds work?
    Dude, you could troll a ball park hotdog through that spot and get LIT up by the spoiled jacks/****/snook that reside in those parts. They are fed ALL DAY by tourists leftovers. At night, once 15th st fisheries closes you can cast into their dock area and catch a jack on every **** cast (as long as you're fishing with a chuck of hotdog and not an actual lure)

But in all seriousness, use some live bait around the pilings of the 17th street bridge and all the docks around there. AT night fish the shadows of lights for big snook and ****. Top of the outgoing and bottom of the incoming, these inlet fish are very tide sensitive. During a slack tide you can keep yourself busy with all the jacks in the area, have fun and good luck!
    Heroes On the Water

FREEDOM CAPTURED!

>

2013 Hobie Outback
  • katwoman85katwoman85 Posts: 491 Officer
    ZimmerNole wrote: »
    Dude, you could troll a ball park hotdog through that spot and get LIT up by the spoiled jacks/****/snook that reside in those parts. They are fed ALL DAY by tourists leftovers. At night, once 15th st fisheries closes you can cast into their dock area and catch a jack on every **** cast (as long as you're fishing with a chuck of hotdog and not an actual lure)

But in all seriousness, use some live bait around the pilings of the 17th street bridge and all the docks around there. AT night fish the shadows of lights for big snook and ****. Top of the outgoing and bottom of the incoming, these inlet fish are very tide sensitive. During a slack tide you can keep yourself busy with all the jacks in the area, have fun and good luck!

Hey Zimmernole. Are you serious that using hotdogs will catch some good fish? I never used hot dogs as bait before. I have a package of ball park franks in the fridge. What I do from now on is any scraps left over from dinner go into the canal to feed the fish so they know where the food is. My next door neighbor puts cat food in the canal to attract fish & he never fishes. That helps me somewhat. I am going to take a class in April for the LLGF in Dania. It is for beginner's like me. Can't wait. I really need some "hands on" experience to help me out. That 15th Street Fisheries is such a great place. I LOVE just watching the Tarpon in there swimming around. Those Tarpon look almost bigger then me. LOL :)
    Hot dogs won't catch you much aside from catfish, I was joking.

Cat food will attract bait, use a cast net or small gold hook tipped with bait to catch small baitfish.

The Class should help you quite a bit, don't give up, fishing is all about learning the technique and then perfecting that technique.

Tight lines!
    Heroes On the Water

FREEDOM CAPTURED!

>

2013 Hobie Outback
  • Pucker FactorPucker Factor Posts: 875 Officer
    Ha, I've pulled up lobsters on wieners off my parents dock years ago. . . . Hebrew National though.
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    Oy vey!
    Ha, I've pulled up lobsters on wieners off my parents dock years ago. . . . Hebrew National though.
  • oldschoolmarceloldschoolmarcel Posts: 157 Officer
    area52 wrote: »
    Will McDonalds work?

Pink slime is the secret ingredient in Gulp!