Skip to main content
Home Boating

Marquesas 2013

Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 954 Officer
edited June 3 in Boating #1
I have penciled in the 3rd/4th Week In May depending on the wind forecast. The tides from the 22nd - 28th are largest tides of the month and the full moon is on Sat. the 25th. Every year the group changes a little and the number of attendees varies. I hope to see at least 10 boats attend this year. There was some exciting action last year with lots of Tarpon and Permit action.

IMG_9218.jpg

IMG_9239.jpg

IMG_8721.jpg

IMG_8688.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

Permit10-20-12SandflyKey.jpg

Replies

• rbtbryanrbtbryan Posts: 99 Deckhand
    Count me in Glenn. Look forward to another dead calm morning!
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    I look forward to these trips all year long.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • Last-CastLast-Cast Posts: 233 Deckhand
    Count me in
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold
    Most of us will do a long weekend. Have you figured out what weekend will be the best one yet?
  • gerrysgerrys Posts: 738 Officer
    How about some details of the trip? How long (overnight?) What size/type of boats? Where do you depart from. Where do the guys stay..and gather for the trip? What type of fishing?
    I have a 24' Ranger Bay. Would it suffice?
    BTW, I'm in Summerland a few month a year. Maybe we could share some brews sometime.
  • mastercastermastercaster Posts: 1,259 Officer
    I think this is a egret boat only gathering.
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 954 Officer
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Most of us will do a long weekend. Have you figured out what weekend will be the best one yet?

From a tide perspective it looks to me like the best weekend is the 25th/26th. It's the full moon on Saturday and those days are the largest tides of the the month at about 3'.
    So I would say then but who knows what the wind and cloud out look will be for each day.

http://www.protides.com/florida/1357/2013/05/
    Thanks.
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    From a tide perspective it looks to me like the best weekend is the 25th/26th. It's the full moon on Saturday and those days are the largest tides of the the month at about 3'.
    So I would say then but who knows what the wind and cloud out look will be for each day.

Count us in for the 25/6
    I booked.I will fish Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Part of Monday. I know of one Egret owner that will be at Parmers also there by coincidence from the Fly Club I belong to along with a famous fly Tarpon angler. He has a 97 that he completely redone.
    Would that be Mr. Mill?
    Mill will be in the area for sure. He always is fishing the worm hatch by Bahia Honda. A friend of mine bought his boat (Egret) and really fixed it up nice. He works at Aubry Brothers so he had access to some good help.
  • Last-CastLast-Cast Posts: 233 Deckhand
    Not sure if we will stay at PArmers or just spend the hwole time in Key West
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold
  • FishinMcNutFishinMcNut Posts: 536 Officer
    I really want to do this again but have just about resigned myself to the fact recovery from shoulder surgery will stand in the way. Great trip and memories!
    :banana
    Last-Cast wrote: »
    Not sure if we will stay at PArmers or just spend the hwole time in Key West

There's always the Brokeback Marquesas 2 option! :rotflmao:banana
    I really want to do this again but have just about resigned myself to the fact recovery from shoulder surgery will stand in the way. Great trip and memories!

Hey Mcnutt! When did you have your procedure? I had mine late November and I'm working my **** off doing the PT to be ready by April. Do the rehab bro it works! I had rotator cuff, biceps tendon,frozen shoulder, capsular release and something called a mumford procedure. It ain't no picnic but I can see a lot of progress. If I can do it anyone can! Good luck!
    mtd885 wrote: »
    Hey Mcnutt! When did you have your procedure? I had mine late November and I'm working my **** off doing the PT to be ready by April. Do the rehab bro it works! I had rotator cuff, biceps tendon,frozen shoulder, capsular release and something called a mumford procedure. It ain't no picnic but I can see a lot of progress. If I can do it anyone can! Good luck!
    Brothers in shoulder surgery!
    Day 20 and I am realizing PT and exercises are the hardest part of the whole process. From day one I have taken a chill outlook and have stayed positive. I really believe that makes a huge difference! Limiting factor for me was the repair to the subscapularis. It required a big incision followed by a very protective post surgery protocol with limited movement and sling first 4-6 weeks. It was my right shoulder. Being left handed, that is good! However, it leaves me wondering how I will be able to hold on while running my boat. The best part so far is being able to sleep without an ice pack to dull the pain of the past 18 months. That is a huge positive step!
    Brothers in shoulder surgery!
    Day 20 and I am realizing PT and exercises are the hardest part of the whole process. From day one I have taken a chill outlook and have stayed positive. I really believe that makes a huge difference! Limiting factor for me was the repair to the subscapularis. It required a big incision followed by a very protective post surgery protocol with limited movement and sling first 4-6 weeks. It was my right shoulder. Being left handed, that is good! However, it leaves me wondering how I will be able to hold on while running my boat. The best part so far is being able to sleep without an ice pack to dull the pain of the past 18 months. That is a huge positive step!

Wow you are able to sleep 20 days post op! That's the toughest part for me. The rehab is not for ****'s! I've had both shoulders done and this one is my casting arm. Since I'm pretty much a fly fishing fool, I do a lot of casting. The Marquesas can be a pretty rough run and I am wondering if I will be up to taking the bumps and setting recovery back. Safe to say I will be extremely cautious since I live for Tarpon season and do not plan on cutting it short. I have one of these and it's worth every penny. I highly recommend it. I got the shoulder cuff and a straight cuff for my knee. http://www.vitalwear.com/about_vitalwear.cfm
    http://www.vitalwear.com/using_the_vitalwrap_system.cfm
    Bump. This trip is coming up quickly.

We are really looking forward to it. How many boats do we have this year?

Finally got the new HDS12 fully hooked up this weekend and tested. All 3 batteries now moved up under the console and secured. What a pain getting that done but the boat should draft a tad shallower now with all of that weight moved forward not to mention all that extra space now for tackle under the seat. Annual engine service done last week. I am ready.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,394 Officer
    Let's see some pics of the install!
    Final engine service this week, hook up the DC charger, and we are ready! Will be down from Thursday till Monday.
    rbtbryan wrote: »
    Final engine service this week, hook up the DC charger, and we are ready! Will be down from Thursday till Monday.

I thought I was a procrastinator! I guess we are a little short of our 10 boat target. I wonder if we add BBQ to the protocol if some of our Egret Owners pork addicts would come down? BTW I had the full service and upgrades done in March ;)
    Procrastinator!! Really! I committed Jan 20 if I recall. Also, I have done a lot of work to the boat, with rewiring, HDS-10 and structure scan with internal puck transducer, Sirius weather, and all that other mundane stuff. My garage has been a nightmarish mess. No end of little jobs to do. But...I will be ready. On that you can bet!
    mtd885 wrote: »
    I thought I was a procrastinator! I guess we are a little short of our 10 boat target. I wonder if we add BBQ to the protocol if some of our Egret Owners pork addicts would come down? BTW I had the full service and upgrades done in March ;)
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    Let's see some pics of the install!

Got a couple more zip ties to go, switch out the 50 amp trolling motor breaker and have to clean up some dirt but here's how it looked right after the move. This was not a particularly easy thing to do physically but I think it is worth it. Too much wasted space under the console. I thought about encasing the wire bundle under the seat in a large conduit but there were some fuses there that would have not been easily accessed so I left it alone. Storage so much more functional now. Plenty of room under the console for batteries. I could fit two more if I wanted and was inclined to incur a few more bruises reaching down in there to get it hooked up. I screwed my battery trays down to three pieces of Starboard that fit perfectly in the width of the space and screwed the starboard pieces down to the floor so it won't slide back or come up.

20130507_193208_resized_zps2e114f79.jpg

20130507_193605_zps118b1e60.jpg
    Looks great! Can only imagine the bruises and scrapes on your arms.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,394 Officer
    Heres a clean wiring job for future reference!:thumbsup
    20130414_165219_zpsf6b9875b.jpg
    Bump, We may have big news to share at dinner Friday night.