Pulled pork question

Larry MacLarry Mac Posts: 5,457 Admiral
Probably a dumb question, but since I am a newbie into slow fire cooking, what piece of pork is best for pulled pork?

Replies

• AllenRAllenR Posts: 2,699 Captain
    Shoulder. A k A Boston butt
  • cuckoocuckoo Posts: 107 Deckhand
    One in the freezer is labeled "Pork Shoulder Blade Roast"...
    God is great... Beer is good... And people are crazy!
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,043 AG
    AllenR wrote: »
    Shoulder. A k A Boston butt

Well the shoulder actually has a larger bone, the Boston Butt a smaller one. Either are great for pulled pork.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • TerribleTedTerribleTed Posts: 109 Deckhand
    Boston but is the shoulder top. All meat is good for slow cooking. Usually cheaper cuts are used because they become tender when slow cooked.
  • dcrdcr Posts: 290 Deckhand
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 4,003 Captain

I've been smoking pork butts longer than I can remember, but I really can't tell a difference in bone in or boneless. What say you?

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,505 Captain

@AC Man said:
    I've been smoking pork butts longer than I can remember, but I really can't tell a difference in bone in or boneless. What say you?

I like cooking with bone in, may just be me. Grilling ribeye same, bone in.

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,964 AG

Bone in adds flavor.

133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • WILLIEGATORWILLIEGATOR Posts: 22 Greenhorn

I buy the Butts from Costco, they have the bone removed. I have found that I can get more rub inside the meat prior to smoking, and get smoke better to more of the surfaces as well. you are also not paying for the bone either.

• stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,562 Captain
    edited January 31 #11

@dcr said:

CA shark bait. I watched a fishing show a few yrs. ago they were using them for shark bait fishing off of surf boards. They weren't no little sharks either.

• dcrdcr Posts: 290 Deckhand

Our finny friends prefer bone in.
    Curiously, that night with a frozen skate on the right rod, a 10# pork roast in the middle, and a frozen bonito on the left, the pork had to be reeled in (with 8oz of lead) to not tangle with the double 8' lemons on either side.

• mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 6,710 Admiral

@Cyclist said:
    Bone in adds flavor.

Mmm marrow

Captain Todd Approves

@WILLIEGATOR said:
    I buy the Butts from Costco, they have the bone removed. I have found that I can get more rub inside the meat prior to smoking, and get smoke better to more of the surfaces as well. you are also not paying for the bone either.

With bone in,you are not paying more to have the bone removed. B)

• dixiedaddixiedad Posts: 309 Deckhand

I use the shoulders from Costco, always turn out good, and tender. Another thing you might want to try, Costco now sells whole, prime grade beef briskets for 2.99 per pound. I had never seen a prime grade brisket before, but I smoked one for New Years and it was very good, and the price is hard to beat.

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,811 Admiral

There is nothing better than watching that bone slide out of a perfectly smoked butt with little to no resistance. I've done both bone in and boneless and bone in is better IMO.

Some Nettles sausages that have been cooked til bursting on the grill, some smoked chicken thighs, baked beans, a cooler full of beer. good times.

People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 6,710 Admiral
    edited February 1 #17

I am going to have my wife to read your post to me tonight, @Soda Popinski.

Slowly, and in a breathless whisper

Captain Todd Approves

@mplspug pulled pork huh?

People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.

@mplspug let us know how that turns out for you.

• Baits OutBaits Out Posts: 12,283 AG

Usually buy the biggest Boston Butt I can find at WinnDixie. Usually ten to thirteen pounds.

Works great.

Start with about 8 hours apple wood smoking. Then about two hours covered with
    foil.

Next gonna try Costco since we now have a card.

I’m only responsible for what I say -- not for what others think they understand.

Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the "m" is silent.

America! Keep calm and return fire.

:USA

@Baits Out said:
    Usually buy the biggest Boston Butt I can find at WinnDixie. Usually ten to thirteen pounds.

Works great.

foil.

Bravo had bone in boston butts on sale for $.99 a pound. Got an 8 pound beast for $8.13. I cannot wait to get that bad boy on the smoker. Going to hit it with some Everglades Cactus dust seasoning and use pecan and oak to smoke it.

• Baits OutBaits Out Posts: 12,283 AG

Sounds good.

Great that there are so many options.

I usually use Magic Dust:

MAGIC DUST

1/2 C paprika
    1/4 C kosher salt, finely ground
    1/4 C sugar
    2 T mustard powder
    1/4 C chili powder
    1/4 C ground cumin
    2 T ground black pepper
    1/4 C granulated garlic
    2 T cayenne

“This is from the Peace Love & Barbecue site. My recipe says to make it spicier, use 1/4 C black pepper and 1/4 cup dry mustard instead of 2 tablespoons each. I only increased to 3 tablespoons.”

Mix all ingredients and store in a tightly covered container.

Yield: About 2 ½ cups

I’m only responsible for what I say -- not for what others think they understand.

Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the "m" is silent.

America! Keep calm and return fire.

:USA
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,043 AG

@Baits Out said:

Works great.

foil.

I doubt you ever got a single one over 10+ lbs. At least I have never seen one. Shoulder maybe or you may have a twin pack.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • keenerbenkeenerben Posts: 74 Greenhorn

get a good digital meat thermometer and take the internal temp up to 201-203, pulls perfect.

slow roll with smoker temp around 225 until it happens. Every hunk of meat cooks differently. Most importantly, have fun!

I go for 170 then wrap in foil and put in ice chest. Let them set for at least an hour. Fall off the bone good. Whatever you do, let them cool down on their own.

• jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 1,485 Officer
    mplspug said:

I am going to have my wife to read your post to me tonight, @Soda Popinski.

Slowly, and in a breathless whisper

There is nothing better than watching that bone slide out of a perfectly smoked butt with little to no resistance. I've done both bone in and boneless and bone in is better IMO.

Some Nettles sausages that have been cooked til bursting on the grill, some smoked chicken thighs, baked beans, a cooler full of beer. good times.

Which part? Oh, and how did it turn out for you? 

j/k :D

I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
    Herbert Bayard Swope
    US editor & journalist (1882 - 1958)
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,211 Captain
    cuckoo said:
    Shoulder blade roast is a Boston butt. If it has a scapula, it’s a butt
    You should have been here yesterday
  • bmoodybmoody Posts: 940 Officer
    cuckoo said:
    When is the scapula not the shoulder blade?
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,211 Captain
    edited June 3 #29
    bmoody said:
    cuckoo said:
    When is the scapula not the shoulder blade?
    Same thing, I think I interpreted that as a question as I don’t usually see them in the freezer in the store .
    You should have been here yesterday