Home Photography Corner

Nikon D40

Five or six years ago, I decide I wanted a camera and bought a Nikon D40. It's was the first camera I owned, but I never really was hooked on photography and it has sit, mostly unused since then.

I'm taking a couple of trips this summer and would like to ask if I should learn to use this camera, or buy a decent point and shoot that probably suits my needs better. The pictures I take will never be printed and will be used only to share with family and a few interested friends.

I'm open to suggestions, but if I need to shoot with the D40, I'd like to start learning to use it. BTW, it has two lenses, one short and one long. :shrug
Vote for the other candidate

Replies

• Stetson LawStetson Law Posts: 489 Deckhand
    I have and still use my D40 a lot. It is more camera than you need. If you do not have time or care to learn photography, then put it in auto (or sport scene mode) and you will have one of the best point and shoot cameras out there. If you do have time and want to learn how to use the camera, it will be more than you need. I have outgrown the capabilities of my D40 and thus bought a D7000 for more advanced features and customization. Nonetheless, my D40 is with me and my D7000 at all times. In fact, when I am on the boat shooting, I have the D7000 70-300mm on a dual harness with my D40 35mm. Your short lens is likely the 18-55 kit lens. It is very capable and a great walk around lens. The long lens is likely a 55-200, which is perfect for short range wildlife and macro shots. The best thing you can do, is go out this weekend and take 500 photos with the short lens and 500 photos with the long lens, while taking note of the settings even if in full auto mode. Go home and review them all on the computer. Good luck.
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    Mister-Jr., the young attorney offers you some good advice. However, if you decide to look at compact cameras that will fit in your sihirt pocket, look at the Canon S100.
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,750 AG
    I believe I will try Mr Stetson's advice and use the D40 this weekend. I am charging the batter now and will try and shoot some this weekend,

WE, looks like the S100 is in my price range and full of features, if the decide to go that way.
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    MJ...
    use the d 40 and learn it...
    you'll be surprised how much fun you can have as well as the quality of images...
    you may end up with some "wall hangers" to print and mount for your house or office...
    give it a go and enjoy...

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
    Can someone give me good site to download and save images? I'm going to use the D40 this weekend and would like to save the pictures to compare different setting.
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    Do you mean to upload? Are you asking for a photo hosting site? If so, this one is free and easy to use.

www.imgur.com
    Do you mean to upload? Are you asking for a photo hosting site? If so, this one is free and easy to use.

www.imgur.com

Yes. Yes. Thank you.
  • Jackson223Jackson223 Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Mmmmm i am not used this camera actually i am a professional photographer and making the phoogrpahy albums of every kind speciallu wedding and fashion and i am using nikon D700 and D600 camera for the phtography and these both cameras are best for the professional photographers .......