At What Point Do You Get A New Trailer?

reelgrimmreelgrimm MiamiPosts: 458 Deckhand
So i'm thinking of trading in my 08 trailer for a new one. I have an ez loader and make a lot of trips on the highway so like the peace of mind.

Anyone ever do a trade in? Process pretty easy? I haven't called ezloader yet...
My Youtube Channel
Boat: 2015 25' Competition Single 300 Yamaha
Latest Fishing Report - Snook on the Beach

Replies

• Lunch time crowdLunch time crowd Posts: 97 Deckhand
    reelgrimm wrote: »
    So i'm thinking of trading in my 08 trailer for a new one. I have an ez loader and make a lot of trips on the highway so like the peace of mind.

Anyone ever do a trade in? Process pretty easy? I haven't called ezloader yet...

I don't get the piece of mind part. Is the trailer falling apart, are the bunks loose, trailer lights don't work, axle very rusty, bald tires? The only piece of mind I can see are from the bearings. You can solve that with a set of air tight hubs. Most everything else is solved with regular maintenance. If your going to bite the bullet why not buy a top of the line Rolls Axle, Ameri Trail, Sport Trail etc. You've already got a top of the line boat. If they do take a trade in, they're not going to want to give you very much on it. You would be better off selling it on your own...Good Luck with your decision.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,175 AG
    Still got my '98 Rolls.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,374 Officer
    Ameratrail 2.5 years old and looks new!
  • Last-CastLast-Cast Posts: 211 Deckhand
    My Loadmaster is over ten years old. I have replaced the axle just lastyear for the first time, fenders just last year for the first time, tires every year, bearings every year and the carpet on the bunk is about due. Going to Flamingo or Evergaldes City is on average 175 miles not including trips up and down both coastlines and Key West. Once I started to see some bounce in the fenders it was time to replace the axle. The tires and bearings I replace as a matter of maintence since the road to Flamingo is not an enjoyable place to have to replace a tire.

As Lunch tme mentioned. If you really want to replace your trailer you will probably do better selling it out right.
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    I think lots of people sell there ~5yr old trailers (for ~$2-3K) every ~5 yrs & buy a new ~$5-6K trailer... That's ~$60/mo to never own an old trailer (>5yrs old) & probably rarely (if ever) do any maintenance or repairs... Not everybody's approach, but I can understand the motivation... (esp. if you trailer your boat regularly)
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • waldnerrwaldnerr Posts: 1,024 Officer
    I have a '97 EZ Loader under my 16'7". Prior to a recent trip to Big Pine Key (~180 miles each way), I decided to replace the torsion axle and wheels/tires. EZ Loader couldn't have been easier to deal with, and upgraded my hubs to the newer, fully sealed, oil-filled hubs for no additional cost. The nice thing about the EZ Loaders is that they're modular and components can be replaced as they rust or wear out. Additionally, I have a short garage and need a trailer with a folding or removeable tongue that doesn't protrude past the skiff's bow. I haven't seen this feature in an aluminum trailer.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,232 Officer
    reelgrimm wrote: »

You can bring it to ez-loader in Port Saint Lucie and have them replace anything that is suspect and have a nice day. Unless you hate it, fix it or maintain it.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas