Skip to main content
Home Conservation Forums

Spearfishing the Keys

I was thinking about driving down to the Keys this weekend to do some spearfishing. I was thinking about just parking and snorkeling/diving around some of the bridges. However, the spearfishing regulations in the Keys are kind of unclear, especially within 3 miles. If anyone has any clarity on this, it would be appreciated.

Replies

• Mako_OneMako_One Posts: 216 Officer
    You may NOT spearfish (excluding bowhunting and gigging) as described below:
    ■Spearfishing of marine and freshwater species in freshwater is prohibited. Possession of a spear gun in or on freshwater is also prohibited.
    ■Within 100 yards of a public swimming beach, any commercial or public fishing pier, or any part of a bridge from which public fishing is allowed.
    ■Within 100 feet of any part of a jetty that is above the surface of the sea - except for the last 500 yards of a jetty that extends more than 1,500 yards from the shoreline.
    In Collier County and in Monroe County from Long Key north to the Dade County line. ■For any fish for which spearing is expressly prohibited by law (listed above).
    ■In any body of water under the jurisdiction of the Environmental Protection, Recreation and Parks. (Possession of spearfishing equipment is prohibited in these areas, unless it is unloaded and properly stored.)
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,704 Captain
    The first response post is correct, however there are some lower key's bridges where fishing is prohibited from the actual span. In other words, spear fishing is legal under these bridges south of Long Key where fishing is prohibited from the bridge itself. I personally do not agree with this "loophole" but was made aware of it on a fishing trip down to the lower keys a couple of years ago. If anyone one disagrees with this interpretation all they have to do is inquire in any lower keys dive shop. I actually thought it was illegal and was about to call the authorities on some tourists that were at the same motel I was at and where talking about their spear fishing exploits from under one of the bridges. They told me a local dive shop insisted it was OK. I then called the authorities and discovered they were correct and were not breaking any laws.
    Giimoozaabi
  • lowe-boylowe-boy Posts: 1,222 Officer
    I have always spearfished south of Long Key.

Best bridges to spearfish are Niles Channel and Kemp. very nice muttons and mangos and yellow jacks.

south side of bahia honda is great too. first 3 sets of pilings. I dont have the balls to venture past those........

hope that helps
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
  • Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 11,443 AG
    lowe-boy wrote: »
    I have always spearfished south of Long Key.

Best bridges to spearfish are Niles Channel and Kemp. very nice muttons and mangos and yellow jacks.

south side of bahia honda is great too. first 3 sets of pilings. I dont have the balls to venture past those........

hope that helps

It would of been nice to know that when i lived on Bow Channel.