Skip to main content
Home Tropics

Island Prep 2013

2»

Replies

• CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,777 Captain
    Today is planned roll... Taped the hull but woke in the middle of night remembering that I didn't tape transducers... Got up and wrote a note to self. Great thing to practice. cary a note pad and add reminders as one goes along if they missed something or see something that needs to be addressed...
    Still feeling wore out. Between acid and paint fumes nasal passages on fire. Another thing I'm bad about... Take the time and wear a mask! Uncomfortable but worth it...
    One coat down and running gear all done... I love being on schedule... Wax crew in my way and since they are expensive I'll finish the beast off with coat two in the morn... Stuff last remaining sodas and water aboard. Inventory and organize all tools and small spare parts. All large ones were counted and stowed after paint was laid. With the way the wahoo and billfish tournies are growing I'm growing busier there too. Not even going to think about the 28 for now... Focus on done with this boat, gather stuff for the tournies and make some long term plans... for that side...
  • Yellowfin39Yellowfin39 Posts: 44 Deckhand
    Who is doing your waxing? Price?
    We have a guy at PGA Marina named Simon... He has two guys that work for him that are without question the best there is at the art of laying wax and making old new...

Today was supposed to be short and sweet... Key word- Supposed... Went like lighting on the paint. Little warm and pait was growing skin between strokes so i had to move fast... Before i knew it It was seal of approval time...
    Went to lay my signature school of ballyhoos on her and one of my spray cans decided to malfunction. No biggie i had back up and soon the school was in place to help draw zilla to the spread...
    Loaded stuff aboard with no issues. One quick project in front of me... Zincs... I cleaned yp my painting mess and put my tools away except a 3/4 wrench for the diver plate and the hex key for the shafts... Shafts went like they were supposed to. Foir nuts on the plate on and off and i'd be done!
    Nut one and 2 just fine. # and for cracked fine but #3 hit a road block... World came to a grinding halt as the stud it self started to turn... Went in the boat and inspected. Even pulled the bonding wire off...
    Busted out the tool kits I had just put away and tried litterally every one in the kits. I looked like a flea market tool lable out there trying to get that nut to go either direction. No amount of nevr seize can beat a bad thread tho... Out came the grinder/ cutter... Things get hot but the nut went away... Remember that blister the other day? I sure did when the nut dropped into the palm of my hand...

So two hour blitz became five hour marathon ... I wanted to hoist a hex nut flag from the riggers but I was too tired to pull the lanyard... :)
    Didn't touch the boats today. Let the crews do their thing and I hope to be ready to splash tomorrow... Instead was a morning filling out dozens of forms and copying doccuments. Afternoon was dedicated to trying to drum up some more support for the wahoo tourney coming up.
    Let the wax crew work it out while I punched a hole in my tackle chores... Rigged out a few trips worth of wahoo stuff. Some for the tourney and some for when we get guests... I had done a lot of rigging back in November for the first tourney and found that I had bought some bad wire. Almost half of what I had rigged was done with it and we set it aside when we found that out... Today was fix that and rig more...
    Wax crew doing amazing job again... ECM is in town and needed to be programmed today before going in I hope tomorrow afternoon. Morning will find me touching up spots I missed especially around the trim tabs and exhaust pipes...
    Worked all through the night on the tourney as its growing quick! I didn't plan to fish it but I have been shanghaied by press corp and sponsors...
    The crew laid wax in even the hardest to get at spots... Unreal job still going... ECM may be in or going in this eve. I went to 28 and lightened her load. Then brought it back to 43 for transport... I don't know how i wind up with so much stuff but if I leave something behind I will regret it...
    More papers underway and ready to drop from burning the candle at both ends and the middle but no time to slow down...
    Laid new ecm in place today and she was already getting "codes" without engines even running... Aha! Golden opportunity to hunt down what killed the old one... DDEC readouts in tower have never worked since we got the boat... They were still hooked to the main system though dead. Elements had got through them and were shorting out stuff all the way back through the helm to the engine top itself... Tickled to solve years old issue...
    Yard has us blocked in by other boats and won't be til tomorrow til we are wet again... Afternoon was spent doing tourney stuff which is picking up pace...
    Splash it and let detail crew get their wax dust off... Will clear spot in pit to set and tie down freezer...
    The marina really tried my patience. Over two days before they got me spalshed... I specifically asked several times. They set times then no show or too busy with other projects. About thr fifth time they did that I went and got in dockmasters face. "Well you havn't paid yet"... "**** has that got to do with anything? !!! You have my credicard already run!" Finally got off his butt and got me in.
    By the time we launched wind was hoinking hard. Because of their repeated failyre to meet time I couldn't ask my friend to come back to help tuck her back in slip. Marina couldn't let their crew ride with me so I got to slide her in and tie up by my self. Shoving a 43 between pilings and fighting 20 knots of wind is no fun at any age and really tough on my aging body but didn't touch anyone else or scratch anything...
    Moving that 7 foot freeze sucked but by then i was in a pretty foul mood anyway and the adrenaline was doing its job making heavy stuff light... Got that aboard and headed off to play with my new computer. Really needed one. Old one was slow to beginwith and with so many registry clogs and photos and stuff I needed a new one any way. Its got windows 8. For those that havn't tried that one , its by far the worst one Microsoft has come up with yet. The salesman flat out lied about what was loaded in it. Wouldn't open diddly. Told me I had to buy a $150 program to make it work!!! They were out and sent me to another store 15 miles away. That place pointed out that program wouldn't open my stuff anyway and would need xyz program that they don't carry any more. Took it to Tiger Direct... In ten minutes I was set up to read anything my little heart desired. They added a regular start type area that the 8 doesn't have they smiled at me and said have a nice day and wouldn't take a cent... I dropped $40 on the table and told them they dropped it on the floor... :) Worth it for just plain friendly service!
    Today I waited on phone calls that didn't come. In the mean time I went to a "roll your own" cigartette place and made a carton of half price smokes that are down right good... I don't suggest or condone smoking but if you do and you need to stock up for a long voyage thats the way to do it. Everything on a long run has to be stocked in bulk and cutting half an expense on that adds up quick. Savings on this alone represent ten nice dinners out and off the boat.
    Next chore was to get inflatable on bow and assembled. What kind of evil **** designs the floors for inflatables that dont fit??? I'd love to find him , slap him, and let him ride in the live well for a while... Fight, struggle, cuss to cram stuff close as possible ... Finally blow it up and tie it down...
    Detail crew hadn't got there yet but i'm not waiting. I washed my self runways so I wouldn't track thick piles of wax dust all over the place.... Did a fist full of chores then left. Of course I forgot to prime and fire up A/C cooling pump and run units but I guess that can wait... Now home put a new diamond wheel on my hook sharpener and gathering more paperwork for proper papers on that side...
    Last couple days putting finishing touches in place... Eat off clean, more oil for a second oil change set in place. A/C pump primed and systems fired up... Loaded in close to 1000 baits... That extra 2 cu feet allowed for lots more than usual. Waiting on our good set of tackle thats in transit from Md. Weapons cleaned and ammo counted at home (They do not go on unless I'm aboard to ensure their saftey). Outboard checked but not aboard yet (Like weapons I don't put on unless i am present to guard over).
    Tomorrow may be bread run. I found that publix white holds exceptionally well when not opened and stored in dark cupboards... Will pick up their frozen peppers/ onion mix to make conch salad. Already have loads of lime juice, oil spices, on board.
    Doing laundry right now to have some to add to the pile of clean stuff for that side... Tourney paperwork in neat pile ready to go. Important phone numbers all on a list emailed to myself and printed copt in drawer.
    Sitting on the 43... Moving stuff around for no better reason than I'm bored. Rods dont arrive til Friday and Saturdays weather isn't the best... Might spend weekend assembling and putting wind on leaders on... All up in the air right now...
    Delays beat on my soul. Really loaded up to the gills for the crossing but need to wait on that tackle. Tomorrows window looks insanely nice and I have to wait on UPS. After that the weather looks ugly. Spending today trying to sort out how to move around the Bahamas without spending a fortune. Flights I find on line for Bimini to Nassau are way way expensive and go through the states to get there... ???
    Just gotta keep digging I guess...
    Tackle arrived and stowed... More delays as I now need to wait on other stuff to load on. It never ends... One that was going to tote some things over last minute had to leave early. That leaves me having to wait and fill that job along with ten thousand other things on my plate.

I feel like I'm dealing with Bahamians on the time lines getting stuff done but its Americans with these hang ups...
    Insurance hold up as well has me scrambling. Somebody missed something and I have to find the fix. To make matters worse the agent tried to play stupid even after three times reminded... Then tried to smoke me that all was right. Owners people know how to read stuff and caught him out on the loophole we wanted closed. Why try me or him? Just do the job and do it right... make a mistake... fix it... Don't need the song and dance bit...

Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be boat captains...
    Sat on the boat running engines and gen set and playing with all the buttons and knobs today. Driving rain... Waiting on forecast to be the right one is painful. If I was in lauderdale, tomorrow would be a simple easy cross but up here its supposed to be 15-20 NE and thats hellish off Palm Beaches. Sure I can plow for an hour and a half til I clear the nasty then two and a half more in the easy but I owe it to this operation not to break anything... I tend to push myself too hard sometimes and that can be bad so with saturday showing me a following sea the whole way I may just go that way... I dont HAVE to be there til next Thursday but I'd like to dock and decompress for a few days...
    Feel good about the decision to stay put. Got word that in one of the rain bands it got up close to 7 foot... I sat on the beach for a while and could see the chop on the edge while hardly a puff of air on land. Plan is 7:30 am fuel. I don't pre fuel cause with the boat heavy I dodn't want the exhausts to go all the way under... Hope to catch the 8:00 bridge then the next at 8:15... gets me out the inlet around nine and Bimini 12:30. Half hour later still looking good. Two hours after that though looks real bad...
  • strictlybusinessstrictlybusiness Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Good luck on the trip, hopefully everything goes according to plan for you and you can be tied up in the slip before the wind really starts honking. Doesn't look good for things on this side for the weekend. Safe travels.
    in the slip... no issues crossing... went according to plan... puffin now...