Home General Fishing

Underwater video - Vertical Jigging Tips

Frank JigFrank Jig Posts: 58 Deckhand
Here's my newest underwater video, shot off PSL inlet...

[video]
Notice how quickly the assist hook rises up and out of the strike zone... Something to consider if you are jigging in open water (tip: use a rubberband to increase hook-up rate when the jig is in freefall)

Replies

• bluewatermafiabluewatermafia Posts: 540 Officer
    nice! were you using a go pro camera?
  • ChuddybuckrivetChuddybuckrivet Posts: 3,156 Officer
    Awesome footage. Dont know how you didnt get snagged! Is there a plan to get the camera back if you do get snagged?
  • copout@castaways[email protected] Posts: 5,779 Admiral
    cool video! how you didn't get hung-up is beyond me!
  • RedRichRedRich Posts: 283 Deckhand
    Amazing video!!! Very lucky you didn't snag. Hopefully the jig leader was much lighter than the main line. Cool seeing the other jig get chased.
  • GRSCGRSC Posts: 942 Officer
    Cool video - I'd like to see what the Skycliffe looks like in Boynton. Must have a kelp bed of leaders
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Frank JigFrank Jig Posts: 58 Deckhand
    Thanks guys...

The first day, we were not sure what we were sending the gopro into.... Once I got home and reviewed the videos, I thanked my lucky star to have gotten the camera back.

We pushed our luck the second day. The current was cranking and the wind was pushing us the wrong way. Long story short, on the second pass, I snagged the mast.
    I had 50lb leader on the jig while the main line was 200lb. The camera must have wrapped around a few times because I couldn't break it off. I ended up tying the main line to a cleat and creeped slowly forward. The main line broke off and that was the end of it.

I'm building a new set up and a new gopro is in the mail... this stuff is addictive !!!

Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks !
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,356 Admiral
    nice work. maybe you can help me with a jigging problem. I'm having a problem with the line wraping around my rod tip when jigging. I'm using a shimano trevela 60-100 pound class spining rod. I'm using 50 FINS braid. I have used OHERO 50# braid and had the same problem. Am I using to much or fast of a jigging action, or is this a line problem? I use 2-3 oz jigs.
  • ThumpThump Posts: 189 Deckhand
    nice work. maybe you can help me with a jigging problem. I'm having a problem with the line wraping around my rod tip when jigging. I'm using a shimano trevela 60-100 pound class spining rod. I'm using 50 FINS braid. I have used OHERO 50# braid and had the same problem. Am I using to much or fast of a jigging action, or is this a line problem? I use 2-3 oz jigs.

I am not a jigging expert, but when you jerk the rod up and drop it with slack in it then this will happen. Try dropping the rod tip with very little slack. Note: You want some slack so that the jig will have the proper action.
  • wrightacklewrightackle Posts: 89 Deckhand
    I know what you are talking about with the tip wraps. It can be frustrating. If you are targeting amberjacks try casting away from the wreck and ripping it back over the structure at warp speed. Trying to work a jig vertically at that speed always invites tip wrapping. If you are fishing strictly vertical for snapper and grouper you shouldn't be working the jigs fast at all.
  • Frank JigFrank Jig Posts: 58 Deckhand
    Hey buddy... it's hard to say without watching what you're doing.
    If you wrap around the tip, you have slack line. So either your reeling and jigging is out of sync or you're jigging on a slack line.
    The reel handle should be down when your rod tip is down. The reel handle should be up when your rod tip is up. If that motion is out of sync, the rod tip drops down faster than the line is being reeled.(You're not reeling fast enough for the up and down cadence you are using) So you end up with slack line which wraps itself around the tip. Either reel faster and slow down your up and down motion. It takes a bit of time to get the right rythm.

Jigging on a slack line is also effective, but if I use that method, the jig is far away from the boat,and i'm jigging with the rod tip down...I'm jigging in a left-to right instead of a up and down motion.

hope that help..
  • copout@castaways[email protected] Posts: 5,779 Admiral
    Thump wrote: »
    I am not a jigging expert, but when you jerk the rod up and drop it with slack in it then this will happen. Try dropping the rod tip with very little slack. Note: You want some slack so that the jig will have the proper action.

^this
    you'll also want to drop the tip at the same rate as the jig that way you'll see more slack appear when a fish hits on the drop.
  • GregHGregH Posts: 249 Deckhand
    Awesome video. Have to get a GoPro soon.