Returned stolen gun

FLSnookerFLSnooker Posts: 57 Deckhand
I had a rifle stolen from me a little over a year ago. I reported it stolen to the local police office back when it was stolen. A friend of mine just recently purchased a gun and asked if i would look at it for him. When he brought the gun out I immediatly noticed that it was my rifle that had been stolen, and i told him about it. We cross referenced the serial number on it and the one i have written down and it is definatly the same gun. He offered the gun back to me and was very regretful for the whole situation. I declined taking it as of now and he is still in posession of it as I told him I would contact the police dept. about it and straighten things out.
My question is, before I contact them is,
Will HE get into any trouble over this?
He obviously did not steal the gun but bought a stolen firearm.
Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Replies

• toshotosho Posts: 210 Officer
    Should be no problem unless he knew it was stolen. Did he pay a fair market price or was it a "steal"? The law will ask. If he bought it so cheap that it had to be stolen then he may have a problem.I would start tracing the guns path. A year later he most likely did not get it from the one who stole it initially.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,244 Moderator
    Until you contact the police and report it "recovered," it will still be in NCIC as a stolen gun and if your friend is ever stopped, there could be a problem. I would go to the police, accompanied by your friend and his receipt showing when and from whom he purchased the gun to get it cleared from NCIC. BTW, take the gun with you, but leave it in the vehicle until accompanied by an officer to remove it from the car. Just don't go walking into the police department with a gun
  • Kids Ate My BaitKids Ate My Bait Posts: 1,037 Officer
    Until you contact the police and report it "recovered," it will still be in NCIC as a stolen gun and if your friend is ever stopped, there could be a problem. I would go to the police, accompanied by your friend and his receipt showing when and from whom he purchased the gun to get it cleared from NCIC. BTW, take the gun with you, but leave it in the vehicle until accompanied by an officer to remove it from the car. Just don't go walking into the police department with a gun

:Agree
    Don't blink - they grow up fast

e0855416-db02-4210-a35f-fb932b7f1510_zpsizxn0kmf.jpg
  • On Island TimeOn Island Time Posts: 205 Officer

10-4!
    b8462785-ca45-4da1-9725-c3c6b5422585_zpszm9d61xm.png
    Capt. Steve Beare
    USCG Licensed & Insured

www.OnIslandTimeCharters.com
  • ChuddybuckrivetChuddybuckrivet Posts: 3,156 Officer
    FLSnooker wrote: »
    I had a rifle stolen from me a little over a year ago. I reported it stolen to the local police office back when it was stolen. A friend of mine just recently purchased a gun and asked if i would look at it for him. When he brought the gun out I immediatly noticed that it was my rifle that had been stolen, and i told him about it. We cross referenced the serial number on it and the one i have written down and it is definatly the same gun.

Holy smokes, talk about a small world!!
  • Ketch-upKetch-up Posts: 305 Officer
    Where did he get the gun from? A licensed gun dealer or from an individual? If from an individual you may have a problem. They will want to know all the info on it. I would call and have a LEO come to the house before going to the station.Just my .02 for what it is worth.
  • Circle-HookCircle-Hook Posts: 487 Deckhand
    Do you trust the law to do the right or obvious correct thing- I believe I would pitch it in the river and be done with it.
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Officer
    how was it stolen in the first place?