media silent about this movie theater shooting

capt billcapt bill Posts: 4,035 Officer
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/Two-wounded-in-theater-shooting-4122668.php
http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/sanantonio.asp

heres the synopsis: Dec 17th. Guy breaks into a theater, starts shooting, off duty deputy fires 4 shots and kills him. The shooter kills no one.

Moral of the story? The media has their own agenda on gun control. The more law abiding citizens armed, the more protected we are as a society
attachment.php?attachmentid=58515&d=1353007399

Replies

• m9000m9000 Posts: 1,999 Captain
    The media ceased being an objective reporter of the news and became a participant in the news with a leftist viewpoint years ago. The lamestream media will never cover law abiding people stopping crime with firearms because it doesn't help their gun confiscation agenda.
  • rysherrysher Posts: 372 Deckhand
    how can he not hit anything in a theater full of people? :huh
    he deserves to die just for not hitting anything.
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    Is some one suggesting we disarm cops now?

That's just plain ridiculous.
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    It would have been a disaster if he had an AR15.

Luckily he did not.
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • capt billcapt bill Posts: 4,035 Officer
    Menzies wrote: »
    It would have been a disaster if he had an AR15.

Luckily he did not.

yeah you got proof for that? He only hit 2 people...the off duty officer's response would be just as quick
    Menzies wrote: »
    Is some one suggesting we disarm cops now?

That's just plain ridiculous.

where the hell did you get that impression from?
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 7,774 Admiral
    She remarked how she was frightened and how grateful she was for being trained for this situation. That's the kicker. How many armed citizens have had the training to handle a situation like that?

She was also working as a security guard not just some movie goer ...

Some movie houses search you before you go in ... looking for video-cams
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • SWFL_F1sh0nSWFL_F1sh0n Posts: 17,248 Officer
    capt bill wrote: »
    http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/Two-wounded-in-theater-shooting-4122668.php
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/sanantonio.asp

heres the synopsis: Dec 17th. Guy breaks into a theater, starts shooting, off duty deputy fires 4 shots and kills him. The shooter kills no one.

Moral of the story? The media has their own agenda on gun control. The more law abiding citizens armed, the more protected we are as a society

The idiot tried to kill people, the POLICE, hired by the local municipality to protect the people, did his/her job. So go sale crazy someplace else. After Coldies thread we're all full up here!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • capt bill wrote: »
    Moral of the story?

That national news does not report on stories about people who go on a rampage and don't shoot anyone? :shrug

With the exception of MSNBC it seems.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/50221010/ns/local_news-san_antonio_tx/t/deputy-shoots-gunman-san-antonio-movie-theater/
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
    Gardawg wrote: »
    She remarked how she was frightened and how grateful she was for being trained for this situation. That's the kicker. How many armed citizens have had the training to handle a situation like that?

I wouldnt mind citizens that carry to be required to take more training....though its pushing the constitution's limits

Mind you there are a bunch of people with CCW have more training than police and fire much more rounds a month than the typical cop. I have yet to see a cop come out to a match and place anywhere decent. They are usually right at the bottom
    The idiot tried to kill people, the POLICE, hired by the local municipality to protect the people, did his/her job. So go sale crazy someplace else. After Coldies thread we're all full up here!

the cop wasnt on duty. My point is that allowing people to be armed is a good deterrent to crime when the police cant respond fast enough. This was a prime example
  • CaptBobBryantCaptBobBryant Posts: 5,716 Officer

I know at least one....
    And there are armed response defenses classes in almost every city.
    National Association of Recreational Anglers - Add Your Voice
    https://www.facebook.com/RecAnglers?notif_t=page_new_likes
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 7,774 Admiral
    I have yet to see a cop come out to a match and place anywhere decent. They are usually right at the bottom

Do those targets at the match shoot back at you?
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
    Do those targets at the match shoot back at you?

all the more reason for the police to excel at it
  • rysherrysher Posts: 372 Deckhand

Mind you there are a bunch of people with CCW have more training than police and fire much more rounds a month than the typical cop. I have yet to see a cop come out to a match and place anywhere decent. They are usually right at the bottom
    and there are more people with CCW that have less training than police officers.
    in our range during matches, the police officers are always in the bottom, a couple got DQ'd for being unsafe and breaking the 180 rule.

i'm all for arming the citizens but only those who are uspsa class b and up and idpa class sharpshooter and up.
    rysher wrote: »
    and there are more people with CCW that have less training than police officers.
    in our range during matches, the police officers are always in the bottom, a couple got DQ'd for being unsafe and breaking the 180 rule.

i'm all for arming the citizens but only those who are uspsa class b and up and idpa class sharpshooter and up.
    those people with the less training usually dont carry very often or ever

Personally I think the qualifications for obtaining a CCW are just fine. The rate of crime by CCW permit holders is so small that it is negligible...hence why I dont think the requirements should not change
    those people with the less training usually dont carry very often or ever

From my observations , again from the CCW classes I've attended and observed, the most enthusiastic candidates, who asked questions indicating that lack of training and statutory knowledge impressed me as being the most likely to take advantage of the permit.

It is easier to obtain a permit to conceal a firearm in Florida than one to drive a car. I do not nor have ever heard of anyone being denied one based upon their performance in these perfunctory classes,culminating in the applicants demonstrating the ability to not shoot themselves or the instructor (or a target ) with one round at a range.

In my experience the only people who would object to improving the requirements for licensure would be those guys.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
    From my observations , again from the CCW classes I've attended and observed, the most enthusiastic candidates, who asked questions indicating that lack of training and statutory knowledge impressed me as being the most likely to take advantage of the permit.

It is easier to obtain a permit to conceal a firearm in Florida than one to drive a car. I do not nor have ever heard of anyone being denied one based upon their performance in these perfunctory classes,culminating in the applicants demonstrating the ability to not shoot themselves or the instructor (or a target ) with one round at a range.

In my experience the only people who would object to improving the requirements for licensure would be those guys.

and if you look at the figures of those with a CCW who break a law using a firearm versus someone who breaks a law using a car you will see how responsible those folks are who have their CCW. Ive said it before, I wouldnt mind making people go through more training to obtain the permit but the status quo says otherwise. But why change something that works?
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    I know at least one....
    And there are armed response defenses classes in almost every city.

This
    and if you look at the figures of those with a CCW who break a law using a firearm versus someone who breaks a law using a car you will see how responsible those folks are who have their CCW.

Crime needs means, method, and opportunity. The CCW provides legitimacy to 2/3rds of those elements.

Someone not acting irresponsibly is not a metric of responsibility. 14 Law Enforcement Officers and 485 private citizens killed, 35 murder / suicides, and 23 mass shootings involving permitted owners is.

• james 14james 14 Posts: 2,879 Moderator
    But why change something that works?

Because there's an agenda.

Gary, I believe it was your observations I read about on another thread and, while I wasn't there to see the context, the question of "when can I shoot someone" in such a class isn't so far out of place. With the purpose of carrying being to, in fact, shoot someone should the need arise being aware of the legal ramifications is a very good idea. I learned a lot that I was surprised about regarding the use of lethal force and would've likely asked a similar question myself if I had attended. The heat of the moment is no place to be second guessing what's legal or not. It's best to know all the information beforehand to have a game plan set to go on auto-pilot if, God forbid, the need ever arise to use the weapon.

Conversely, I never had to take the class because I had taken a hunter's safety class...20 years ago...when I was 10. The purpose of the class, therefore, seems to strictly be an issue of firearms safety and not proficiency or knowledge of the law. While this may seem a bit ridiculous I'm with Bill that the process is working and it's more in line with the second ammendment to have the least restrictive process that works.
    Crime needs means, method, and opportunity. The CCW provides legitimacy to 2/3rds of those elements.

Someone not acting irresponsibly is not a metric of responsibility. 14 Law Enforcement Officers and 485 private citizens killed, 35 murder / suicides, and 23 mass shootings involving permitted owners is.

I'll call BS on that one. I may be wrong but you provide the data where concealed permit holders are attributed to those statistics. I bet it doesn't exist.
  • james 14 wrote: »
    The purpose of the class, therefore, seems to strictly be an issue of firearms safety and not proficiency or knowledge of the law.

The 4 hour courses focus on FS 790, not proper handling or safety. No range instruction is provided.

• james 14 wrote: »
    I'll call BS on that one. I may be wrong but you provide the data where concealed permit holders are attributed to those statistics. I bet it doesn't exist.

Bet it does. :wink It's not difficult to find. Those are since 2007, BTW.

giving more training isnt going to solve the problems you listed.

And yes it is a measure of responsibility...it has had decades to procure and history has proven permit holders to be very responsible and law abiding
    The 4 hour courses focus on FS 790, not proper handling or safety. No range instruction is provided.

I was required to shoot 50 rounds when I got my permit and that was a little over a year ago
  • T HowardT Howard Posts: 1,658 Captain
    The VPC is more than a little anti-gun. I would like to see Fla numbers. We have over 1 million CCPs out there and it does not seem to be a big issue.

23 mass shootings by concealed permit holders in the last 6 years?
    T Howard wrote: »
    The VPC is more than a little anti-gun. I would like to see Fla numbers. We have over 1 million CCPs out there and it does not seem to be a big issue.

165 CCW licenses have been revoked since 1987 due to a crime involving a firearm
    http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/reports.html
    giving more training isnt going to solve the problems you listed.

I did not say that it would. However a realistic training program that consists of something beyon the time it takes to watch a feature film, proficiency and realistic testing all providing an opportunity to select out the incompetent, which is not done now, would certainly help.
    ...it has had decades to procure and history has proven permit holders to be very responsible and law abiding

:grin History has proven no such thing.

Someone not doing something (which they have) is no measure of their being anything else. If in fact that were true , it could be claimed that they are less responsible than those non-permitted owners since there is a greater of a "law abiding", gun owning population.

There is no evedence to suggest that concealed weapons permit holders are more responsible, or law abiding than anyone without one, other than their own belief that they are. And as I said, I've heard many strange beliefs at those courses.

165 CCW licenses have been revoked since 1987 due to a crime involving a firearm
    http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/reports.html

And your point is? So much for responsibilty.

And your point is? So much for responsibilty.

Florida today has a population of 19 million and a CCW population of 1 million...if over the course of 26 years only 165 people have held a license and been convicted of a crime by use of a firearm then by god Id love to see another population of people of that magnitude with such a low rate of crime

It strengthens my point of responsibility