Cold fronts and docks (video)

Took my Dad out yesterday to do some fishing at one of our usual winter haunts.

Loaded up early with some nice jumbo shrimp after the full moon. We headed out in the afternoon--it was just too **** cold in the AM for us Florida boys.

Ended up with 6-7 snook in the 20-30" range, a few sheepshead, and a good sized black drum that was a real SOB to weave between the pilings on my 3000 set up.

Right around leaving time my old man was making some oddball casts and hooked into the biggest snook of his life... he just had shoulder surgery not too long ago so he wasn't able to put the heat on her quick enough... but man, you should have seen how that rod was doubled over and heard that drag screaming.

I love snook fishing, it's always a surprise to me, those initial thumps are just a signal to be ready... never know if its going to be a quick(er) fight with a fish up to 34" ...or if you are about to hear that buckled down drag screaming like the sound of an accidental freight train snag. Good times.

[video=vimeo;56550402]

Replies

• ericfericf Posts: 445 Deckhand
    Great fish! Love to feel those big snook hit, nothing else quite like it.

Tight Lines,
    Eric Fosbender

Team Googanator

2006 Bull Dolphin 22 with 250 Etec
  • second splashsecond splash Posts: 46 Deckhand
    Thanks! You sure are right, there's nothing quite like it. I get the feeling everytime I get that thump-- "Uh oh, what have I gotten myself into this time..." But man do I love it! Waiting on this video to load up on vimeo...

The part you wont see is where that black drum flipped around and got me with a nice puncture wound to the side of the hand. That spine in their anal fin must be like a shank for fighting off the other prison fish, got me good.
  • greg123168greg123168 Posts: 276 Deckhand
    Very nice... love that dock fishing this time of year!!!!!
    2018 shearwater 27
  • barrynflabarrynfla Posts: 592 Officer
    Nicely done. Sure wish my Dad was still here to go fishing with. Memories are great. Nice snook and drum!!
    Thanks guys. Hopefully I'll have a shot of a biggun here soon.
    redeemed myself on the snook